17 replies to this topic

#1 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Have tried before to solve this problem in another thread, but I am having problems understanding the way this forum works.

My original version of RM was RM2. Updated to RM4 online into a WinXP.

When I upgraded from WinXP to Win8 I imported RM using the original RM2 disk.

Successfully imported RM2 and I obtained the key to update to RM4.

When I try to update all I get is a blank RM4.

At no time was I asked for the installation key.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong with the install?

(trying to update an installed RM2 version to a RM4 in Win8).

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

In RM4, click File,
then click Import,
then click Search for files,
then click on a database filename that is in a folder on your hard drive (C:\),
then click on Open File.
Tell us what happens from there.
Be explicit.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#3 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Followed instructions. After clicking on "Open File" received this message:

This File may not import properly. Windows may have moved part of database to a "vertual store".

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Ok, looks like your databases might be in a sub-folder under the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders. Maybe even as a sub-folder of the Rootsmagic installation directory itself? Either way, if they are, Windows Vista / 7 / 8 does not like that and tries to move some of the files to that Virtual Store ...so what you need to do is move the RM2 databases to some folder such as C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\RMdata or even just C:\RMdata.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#5 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Ok, looks like your databases might be in a sub-folder under the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders. Maybe even as a sub-folder of the Rootsmagic installation directory itself? Either way, if they are, Windows Vista / 7 / 8 does not like that and tries to move some of the files to that Virtual Store ...so what you need to do is move the RM2 databases to some folder such as C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\RMdata or even just C:\RMdata.

Found RM4 in Program Files(86). Will try and figure out how to move the file.

#6 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

OK, I think I know how to move, but not sure about naming the new file or where to put it. Sorry I'm so illiterate.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

OK, I think I know how to move, but not sure about naming the new file or where to put it. Sorry I'm so illiterate.

Okay, let's try this.
When you do the steps in my comment #2 above, the Search for Files screen results in a listing of databases (and/or backups) that RM 4 recognizes. The first column lists the Filename, the second column lists the In Folder. This second column is the complete folder path to the database files or backup files. What is listed as the complete folder path in that second column? Stretch that window open wide to the left and right to make sure you see the whole folder path and filename. Report back here with exactly how that column appears. Filenames and Folders.
--
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#8 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Okay, let's try this.
When you do the steps in my comment #2 above, the Search for Files screen results in a listing of databases (and/or backups) that RM 4 recognizes. The first column lists the Filename, the second column lists the In Folder. This second column is the complete folder path to the database files or backup files. What is listed as the complete folder path in that second column? Stretch that window open wide to the left and right to make sure you see the whole folder path and filename. Report back here with exactly how that column appears. Filenames and Folders.

There are actually two tree's :

C:\Program Files(86)Roots Magic\
C:\Users|Ron\Documents

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

There are actually two tree's :

C:\Users|Ron\Documents

Rootsmagic 4 *SHOULD* be able to Import any databases that are in that bottom folder ALREADY, but lets ignore that for the moment.
The other two you've listed are in the same folder as an installation of Rootsmagic (presumably RM2)and understandably, Windows doesn't want to allow those to be modified.

Do this:

In Windows 8 Explorer, you are going to have to create two folders to store your databases for the separate versions of Rootsmagic that you currently have installed. I suggest:
C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM2data
C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data
THEN
-Start up RM2
-Go to Tools->Program options
-Click on the Folders icon
-Type the full path (or browse to by clicking on the ... ) that RM2data folder that you just created and make sure the Default folders entry blocks all have that path entered
-Open each of your RM2 databases (one at a time) and do File->Backup (this will create a backup of each in the new folder you've created.
-Close RM2
NOW
-Start up RM4 and go to the Tools->Program options->Folders
-Type the full path (or browse to by clicking on the ... ) that RM4data folder that you just created and make sure the Default folders entry blocks all have that path entered
-When done with that, go to File->Import->Search for files
-The search should finish and you should now see some database filenames with a .ZIP filename extension listed In Folder C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM2data. Those should be your RM2 backups that you just performed
-Highlight each of those and allow RM4 to import and convert those RM2 backups.
-When each import finishes, you should see a populated database that has now been saved to C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data.
-Do a File->Backup and RM4 should save a backup copy of that database to your C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data folder
-Repeat this for each RM2 database filename that you import from C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM2data

Good luck, let us know where that gets you.
--
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#10 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Rootsmagic 4 *SHOULD* be able to Import any databases that are in that bottom folder ALREADY, but lets ignore that for the moment.
The other two you've listed are in the same folder as an installation of Rootsmagic (presumably RM2)and understandably, Windows doesn't want to allow those to be modified.

Do this:

In Windows 8 Explorer, you are going to have to create two folders to store your databases for the separate versions of Rootsmagic that you currently have installed. I suggest:
C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data
THEN
-Start up RM2
-Go to Tools->Program options
-Click on the Folders icon
-Type the full path (or browse to by clicking on the ... ) that RM2data folder that you just created and make sure the Default folders entry blocks all have that path entered
-Open each of your RM2 databases (one at a time) and do File->Backup (this will create a backup of each in the new folder you've created.
-Close RM2
NOW
-Start up RM4 and go to the Tools->Program options->Folders
-Type the full path (or browse to by clicking on the ... ) that RM4data folder that you just created and make sure the Default folders entry blocks all have that path entered
-When done with that, go to File->Import->Search for files
-The search should finish and you should now see some database filenames with a .ZIP filename extension listed In Folder C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM2data. Those should be your RM2 backups that you just performed
-Highlight each of those and allow RM4 to import and convert those RM2 backups.
-When each import finishes, you should see a populated database that has now been saved to C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data.
-Do a File->Backup and RM4 should save a backup copy of that database to your C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data folder
-Repeat this for each RM2 database filename that you import from C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM2data

Good luck, let us know where that gets you.

"I suggest:
C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data"

This is from within RM? File - New - create new file. If so is it from within PM4?

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

"I suggest:
C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RM4data"

This is from within RM? File - New - create new file. If so is it from within PM4?

NO, Browse to C:\Users\Ron\Documents\ with Windows 8 Explorer.
THEN create two sub-folders there.

http://www.dummies.c...-windows-8.html

After that ...you continue by designating those newly-created folders in Tools->Program Options->Folders as where you are going to store all your RMx data files.
--
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#12 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

NO, Browse to C:\Users\Ron\Documents\ with Windows 8 Explorer.
THEN create two sub-folders there.

http://www.dummies.c...-windows-8.html

After that ...you continue by designating those newly-created folders in Tools->Program Options->Folders as where you are going to store all your RMx data files.

My problem is that it doesn't give a chance to enter the full path, also RM2 doesn't have Program Options.

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

My problem is that it doesn't give a chance to enter the full path, also RM2 doesn't have Program Options.

Maybe RM2 doesn't have the Options screen (I never owned that version). Skip that. Just do a backup in RM2 and save the file somewhere. Pay attention to where and what name. Then copy that file to your newly-created RM4data folder and let RM4 import it.
Don't know what you mean by doesn't give a chance to enter the full path. Here it is in MY old Rootsmagic 4:Posted Image

EDIT: I found a demo copy of RM2 on the net, downloaded it and found that it does have what I mention:Posted Image

I really don't see how I can be of any more help until you get up to speed with knowing the programs.
--
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#14 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm amazed at your patience and fully understand that it must be a frustrating experience.
I find it difficult to get my old brain around Win8 even with a couple of book to “help” me.
I can't even find how to get to the Program Options in your post.

I will plug along and see what results I get. Will let you know what happens.

Really appreciate the help!

#15 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Once you get RootsMagic open it acts the same in Windows 8 as it did in the earlier versions of Windows.

You find the Program options by clicking on the Tools menu item then the Program Options.

I put the RootsMagic program on the stupid picture screen that I get to by pressing the Windows key.
Then all I have to do is press the Windows key then click on the RootsMagic picture to open the program.
Alfred

#16 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

I'm amazed at your patience and fully understand that it must be a frustrating experience.
I find it difficult to get my old brain around Win8 even with a couple of book to “help” me.
I can't even find how to get to the Program Options in your post.

I will plug along and see what results I get. Will let you know what happens.

Really appreciate the help!

No problem. I intentionally responded in this thread (and the other one you started earlier) because I knew you need a patient person. :)

In simplest terms...REALLY...this is ALL you have to do with RM2.
(do this whole procedure for each individual database in RM2 that you wish to work with in RM4):

1. Start up RM 2 and open a database.
2. Click File
3. Click Backup
3. Click the little down-arrow (it's an inverted black triangle) at the end of the <Look in:> block (it's just to the left of the blue arrow icon)
4. A little dropdown window will open showing you drive letters and folders.
5. Choose (click upon) your My Documents (or Documents) folder as the destination folder for this backup copy of your database
6. Click the Begin Backup button (or whatever it's called in RM2)
7. When it finishes, Close RM2. Open RM4.
8. Do the File->Import and locate the <databasename.ZIP> file in the list of files that RM4 finds (it should be listed as being in your My Documents folder)
9. Let RM4 finish importing and converting it to RM4 format.
--
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#17 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

No problem. I intentionally responded in this thread (and the other one you started earlier) because I knew you need a patient person. :)

In simplest terms...REALLY...this is ALL you have to do with RM2.
(do this whole procedure for each individual database in RM2 that you wish to work with in RM4):

1. Start up RM 2 and open a database.
2. Click File
3. Click Backup
3. Click the little down-arrow (it's an inverted black triangle) at the end of the <Look in:> block (it's just to the left of the blue arrow icon)
4. A little dropdown window will open showing you drive letters and folders.
5. Choose (click upon) your My Documents (or Documents) folder as the destination folder for this backup copy of your database
6. Click the Begin Backup button (or whatever it's called in RM2)
7. When it finishes, Close RM2. Open RM4.
8. Do the File->Import and locate the <databasename.ZIP> file in the list of files that RM4 finds (it should be listed as being in your My Documents folder)
9. Let RM4 finish importing and converting it to RM4 format.

I don't think that will work.
RM4 will not import a backup file.
It won't restore an earlier version backup either. (They are zip files while the RM4 and later backups are rmgb files.)

BUT, if you locate the RM2 database with RM2, you should be able to locate it with RM4 and import it.

If you have set the Files option in RM4 the imported file will be copied in RM4 format into the folder you designated for RootsMagic Data files
Alfred

#18 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

I don't think that will work.
RM4 will not import a backup file.
It won't restore an earlier version backup either. (They are zip files while the RM4 and later backups are rmgb files.)

BUT, if you locate the RM2 database with RM2, you should be able to locate it with RM4 and import it.

If you have set the Files option in RM4 the imported file will be copied in RM4 format into the folder you designated for RootsMagic Data files

Dang! You're right Alfred ...I forgot that completely. Frankly, Ron ought to just copy his C:\Program Files(86)\Roots Magic\ folder (the one with the 30+ files that make up a RM2 database)to C:\ or his My Documents folder.
--
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N