5 replies to this topic

#1 draydev1

draydev1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ok, I know someone can help with this. I'm going to try and explain my problem the best I can.

When I find a document, I enter the information into RM 5 for the individual(s). I source it and I give it my own document ID#. (Example- birth certificate for my son, I enter the info for him, enter the source. I put the document in a sheet protector to put in the back of the Surname Book. ((the ID# I have given it is ANDERSON B0001 - this means it is in the Anderson Surname Binder document section and it is Birth Record #1)). If someone flips to the back of the book under Documents, the sticker on the page says ANDERSON B0001 and they see my son's birth certificate, ok a copy of it. I want all the documents for each person to be in a list on the Family Group Sheet, or in the Narrative Report. I don't like looking at the source page to find it therefore I don't enter it in the source details.

I created a fact called "Documents" and when I test the reports it lists all of the documents I enter for that person. Just not sure I like it. I guess what I'm looking for is some way to get a quick glance at the documents for each person as I look through the Family Group sheets or narratives. I'm really hoping this makes sense.

The other way I've tried is listing it in the note section for each fact. This spreads them out but it could work and it explains where to find the source for each fact.

A third way is just typing up a list on Word or Excel for each family and printing a copy to just put in the book, but don't really like this idea.

Is it better to keep the list of documents as a fact or would it be better to make list under the General Person Note? Or are there other ideas I don't know of? If I haven't thoroughly confused anyone and you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Kim

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3386 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

When I want a list of documents for an individual, I put the list into my user defined fact, Document list, note instead of the person's General note. I can then choose whether or not to print the list in a report or include it in a gedcom.

I also have the date and description enabled for my user defined fact.

The General note for a person always prints unless it is marked as a private note within the note.

You could consider linking the user defined fact separately for each document for that person with the Binder, reference no., subject in the description. You might also want to enable the Place for the fact.

Then you could create a Group or a Custom report sorted on the fact description and have a complete list of your documents in the binders.

You can use various search criteria for different reports, all documents in a particular binder, or for a particular person or group of people, or all documents for a particular place.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 draydev1

draydev1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Laura,

Thank you for the ideas. You gave me a few other things to try out. I'll just have to play with it a little bit and see what I like.

Kim

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Because I have a source/s for each fact/event in a person's life, I can get all the sources attached to a person by the Individual summary report or a family group sheet for a family. Notes are in the citation/detailed text, and can be printed if checked in the narrative reports. Since this has been available is not a good item to have identical information in a note and in the research notes. Now I use the notes for comments about whether this is the right information for the person.
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

There have many discussions on this forum for where notes, sources should go.
See the help menu / F1 for other suggestions on using these sections.
Since FO days, [3 boxes in the event row.]
  • Notes = abstractions, transcripting or comments
  • Sources are documented in Citation Manager
  • Media
Citation Manager
  • Main Section which prints for all sources attached to many different people with this title = footnotes
  • Source Details is the section for page numbers, names or ..... - footnotes
  • Click on Detail Text
  • put your own code in
  • Research notes section for abstracting, transcribing and summaries and this is printed in Narrative Reports if the box is checked in options :)
  • Comment - can be used for negative or positive comments/ items that do not match another source with the same information.
If I don't want the comments printed but a more refined statement, then I put it in the Notes sections for the fact/event..
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Another option I can think of is using the Research Log to record what documents you have for a person. If the Research Log headers don't work for you just export the report as a RTF file and change the column headers.
Renee
RootsMagic