21 replies to this topic

#1 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Just imported the GEDCOM fililes to my Win8 from WinXP. My original disk was for RM 2.1 and that is the disk I used to install RM. My problem is, that I had updated to RM 4.1.2.1 directly from the RM site and would like to get version 4 on this new Win8 instead of the version 2.1 that I currently have.

How can this be done?

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

You can download RM 4.1.2.1 here - http://www.rootsmagi...d/RootsMagic-4/

That will give you the trial version. Then use your previous v4 registration information to turn it into the full version.

If you don't have your v4 registration key, start here - http://www.rootsmagic.com/Recover-Key/

#3 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

You can download RM 4.1.2.1 here - http://www.rootsmagi...d/RootsMagic-4/

That will give you the trial version. Then use your previous v4 registration information to turn it into the full version.

If you don't have your v4 registration key, start here - http://www.rootsmagic.com/Recover-Key/

Thank You, received the number.

When I imported I tried three times (didn't know what I was doing) and finished up with two blank file as well as the file with all the information. How can I delete the two blank files?

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

File / Delete ....

I'd recommend opening only one blank file at a time, deleting it, then opening another. That will prevent your accidentally deleting the "good" file.

#5 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

File / Delete ....

I'd recommend opening only one blank file at a time, deleting it, then opening another. That will prevent your accidentally deleting the "good" file.

Open a blank File and "delete data base"?

#6 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

RM4 is now on my system, but it is blank. Asking for a file name, and I can't find it. Went to my old version and don't see it.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

With RM4, you have to IMPORT the databases from earlier versions since they are completely different.

You also have to copy all of the database files from those earlier versions to a folder on the new computer to have them available.
OR, you could expand the backup file, the one with the zip extension to a folder on the new computer and import from there.

---You don't even open a new database before importing the prior version, just go to the File folder and select import, then RootsMagic (version 1-3)
Alfred

#8 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

With RM4, you have to IMPORT the databases from earlier versions since they are completely different.

You also have to copy all of the database files from those earlier versions to a folder on the new computer to have them available.
OR, you could expand the backup file, the one with the zip extension to a folder on the new computer and import from there.

---You don't even open a new database before importing the prior version, just go to the File folder and select import, then RootsMagic (version 1-3)

I'm afraid that all this is way over my head. Would it be easier to just purchase the latest version of RM, or will that put me in the same sitution?

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

It will be the same thing moving from version 2 to any of the later versions, but four five and six use the same type of files so you can just open the four file with six and it will automatically convert it to it's own specifics.

OK, you have something like 30 different files files in each database in version two. (it's been so long I don't remember the exact number)
There are multiple files with extensions of CDX, FPT and DBF and one with the RMG extension.
They all lead with the name of the database then an identifying letter before the extension.
You need to copy ALL of them into a folder on the new computer, You could just leave them on the portable media, USB thumb drive or CD and tell RM4 to IMPORT from there.

Before you IMPORT the database, before you do anything else, you should go to the Tools menu and click on Program Options then Folders and direct RM where to put your data. Something like "RM date" within the "My Documents" folder. I then put the GEDCOM, Reports etc below the data folder.
Alfred

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Something like "RM date" within the "My Documents" folder.

Alfred, of course, meant "RM data" for the name of the folder (as he states later in that sentence)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Really appreciate the help but I'm a bit tired right now, so I will try again tomorrow.

#12 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

What puzzels me is the fact that I have all the details on my screen that was transfered from RM2, and I can't update from there with the number supplied?

#13 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Went to File folder and tried importing. Files were found, but received an error report which I sent to RM. Not sure what happens now.

As mentioned before, I actually have the full RM2 visible (all geneology information showing) I just need to get back my RM4 version.

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

...I can't update from there with the number supplied?

Not sure what you mean by can't update. Do you mean you can't make the copy of RM 4.1.2.1a that you downloaded and installed into a fully registered version? The very first <Welcome to Rootsmagic> screen that opens should be offering you three options:
1.) Rootsmagic Essentials - Free Version
2.) Purchase Rootsmagic 4 Full Version
3.) Unlock Rootsmagic 4 - Full Registered Version <----CLICK ON THIS OPTION
You should have clicked on the third option and entered your Registration number received from Rootsmagic. Did you do that and it did not work?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Not sure what you mean by can't update. Do you mean you can't make the copy of RM 4.1.2.1a that you downloaded and installed into a fully registered version? The very first <Welcome to Rootsmagic> screen that opens should be offering you three options:
1.) Rootsmagic Essentials - Free Version
2.) Purchase Rootsmagic 4 Full Version
3.) Unlock Rootsmagic 4 - Full Registered Version <----CLICK ON THIS OPTION
You should have clicked on the third option and entered your Registration number received from Rootsmagic. Did you do that and it did not work?

The original copy of RM was version 2 and had updated to version 4. Just purchased Win 8 and only had the disk for version 2 available, because RM4 was installed through an update.
Successfully installed RM2 from the CD with all the details showing. Now I want to get RM4 back. I have Key to RM4 but can't get it updated from 2.
Hope that is understandable.:-)

#16 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

RootsMagic Four is not an update to RootsMagic 2, it is a completely new program.
You have to install it with no regard to version 2, you can even have them both installed at the same time with no conflict.

But, there is no reason to install version 2 on your Windows 8 computer.

Go to http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/ and download the version 4 update and install it, start it and feed it the registration number you received.

Then set those default folder locations, Tools - Program Options - Folders.

Now import the version 2 database from wherever.
Alfred

#17 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

The original copy of RM was version 2 and had updated to version 4. Just purchased Win 8 and only had the disk for version 2 available, because RM4 was installed through an update.
Successfully installed RM2 from the CD with all the details showing. Now I want to get RM4 back. I have Key to RM4 but can't get it updated from 2.
Hope that is understandable.:-)

NOT POSSIBLE to upgrade RM 2 to RM 4 in place. They are COMPLETELY different. Now that you have RM 2 installed, install RM4 just as Ludlow Bay described (it will automatically install to a completely separate folder location). Then use the Registration number procedure I described. You should end up with two completely separate independent working versions of Rootsmagic. Then use the Import procedure that Alfred described (from within the new Version 4). Once you have your database(s) complete and working in RM 4, do backups. Then you can uninstall Rootsmagic 2 (if you want - I always leave my versions installed because they really don't take up that much space on the hard drive.)

EDIT: HaHa, Alfred is ever stellar on the drive :)

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#18 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

NOT POSSIBLE to upgrade RM 2 to RM 4 in place. They are COMPLETELY different. Now that you have RM 2 installed, install RM4 just as Ludlow Bay described (it will automatically install to a completely separate folder location). Then use the Registration number procedure I described. You should end up with two completely separate independent working versions of Rootsmagic. Then use the Import procedure that Alfred described (from within the new Version 4). Once you have your database(s) complete and working in RM 4, do backups. Then you can uninstall Rootsmagic 2 (if you want - I always leave my versions installed because they really don't take up that much space on the hard drive.)

EDIT: HaHa, Alfred is ever stellar on the drive :)

Followed instructions from post#16, and RM4 is installed. Where does the" Welcome to RM" come from in your post#14?

#19 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Followed instructions from post#16, and RM4 is installed. Where does the" Welcome to RM" come from in your post#14?

Until you enter the user name and product registration number, it comes up before any of the Rootsmagic program screens:

Posted Image

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#20 Ron31

Ron31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Until you enter the user name and product registration number, it comes up before any of the Rootsmagic program screens:

Posted Image

After clicking on the desktop icon all I get is "Welcome to RM4 - Registerd to....

No welcome screen.