31 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have searched to no avail. Could someone kindly point me in the direction of the criteria one must follow to post an image in a forum posting?

Thanks,

Paul

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

I have searched to no avail. Could someone kindly point me in the direction of the criteria one must follow to post an image in a forum posting?

I also would love to know a reliable method to post an image into a forum posting. I have succeeded several times in copying and pasting an image into a forum message and it "just worked". I have also failed completely a number of times - there are strange error messages when it fails. I have no idea what the conditions are where it "just works" as compared to when it fails. I've tried different computers and different browswers, and I've never been able to discern a pattern to what works and what doesn't work.

Jerry

#3 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Thanks, Jerry, I should have known.

Paul

#4 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Jerry,

I finally found a way to get the image pasted into the editor for a post, only to be told that, "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community," when I tried to submit it. Trying to figure out which antiquity is more frustrating around here. ;)

Paul

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'm only aware of the IPS boards allowing images linked to an external URL.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

But I have succeeded (sometimes) in posting an image to these forums without the requirement for an external URL. And I regularly see other users succeed in posting an image to these forums that do not seem to require an external URL. It's a shame it's not "just easy" and that it doesn't "just work" regularly because posting a screen shot of a problem with RM is a great way to communicate a question or a problem. It's seems likely to me that the problem is some sort of browser security setting, but if so then I've not been able to figure out what it is.

Jerry

#7 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

But I have succeeded (sometimes) in posting an image to these forums without the requirement for an external URL. And I regularly see other users succeed in posting an image to these forums that do not seem to require an external URL. It's a shame it's not "just easy" and that it doesn't "just work" regularly because posting a screen shot of a problem with RM is a great way to communicate a question or a problem. It's seems likely to me that the problem is some sort of browser security setting, but if so then I've not been able to figure out what it is.

Jerry

What kind of image have you been able to post, other than one residing on an internet server? For instance, can you copy/paste an image residing on your local hard drive?

#8 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

It may be related to the level of service with IP Board software - whether the service is Hosted (which RM would appear to be) rather than Licensed (where you use your own server). I would expect some kind of limit on capacity when hosted.

You can check the bottom right of the page on an IP Board forum to see if it says in very small print 'Llcensed to...'

Virginia

#9 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ludlow Bay -

Whether the image or other file is attached as an upload or linked to an online internet server (not a user's computer as far as I know) is an option with IP Board software, depending on the type of service and the owner (RM in this case) permissions. I regularly upload - as attachments to a message - image and zip files (which can be downloaded by another user) to an IP board. In this case the IP Board software is licensed and the attachments are stored on the owner's server - not linked to my computer. You can tell from the Reply screen in one of those forums; at the bottom is an Attachment option along with the steps for uploading the files.

Virginia

#10 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I have tried using the 'Image' tool in the editor that asks for a URL and have pasted links to SmugMug, DropBox, and ScreenCast.com, and one of two things happens:

1. I get, "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community,"
2. A very small icon appears where the picture should be, and the picture never loads.

I was somewhat encouraged last night when I tried a technique I have used in other situations. Screenshots copied to the clipboard can be pasted into a Gmail editor. Then I select the image in Gmail and re copy it to the clipboard. I can then past the image into the Post Editor on the forum and it looks beautiful right up to the part where you hit "Post," and are stopped dead in your tracks with "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community,"

I guess we just need to be patient, as I am sure it is "in the Tracking System."

#11 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

You can tell from the Reply screen in one of those forums; at the bottom is an Attachment option along with the steps for uploading the files.

Virginia

Virginia,

Any chance you could post a screenshot of that?

Paul

#12 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

Paul -

A screenshot of the Reply screen is here: http://screencast.com/t/6yGQhXtNm . Click on Full Size at top of screen to view.

It is a nice option and helpful to show examples of problems as well as graphics - like charts (see example here - click on images to enlarge them), but perhaps one of those extras that the software developer has to consider in the budget.

Virginia

#13 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Virginia - you're throwing oranges into the apple pie. While the ability to include attachments might be a bonus, this discussion centers on the ability (or lack of) to include images in posts on this board. While the only method provided seems to be using linked images, that works for some users some of the time but has proven problematic for others ... and that is the discussion at hand. Successfully using the "Image" link icon in the toolbar here is a far different animal than the "Attachments" function you describe.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5779 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

You need to paste the full URL with the file extension .png, .jpg not the cryptic short URL with no extension into the Image tag in order to link to an external image. Without the extension you get the misleading error message. I have never been able to upload/attach an image directly to the forum.

Like this:
http://s6.postimg.org/hsxptzr8t/SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_banner_40.png
Not this:
http://postimg.org/image/hsxptzr8t/
To get this: Posted Image

If you toggle the editing mode (top left button) to see the tags, the result is this:
[img]http://s6.postimg.org/hsxptzr8t/SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_banner_40.png[/img]

There are two linked images in my signature.

Edited by TomH, 17 April 2013 - 09:36 AM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

I was replying to a question whether images could be uploaded as attachments. They can in IP Board forums where that option is available.

Posting a linked image is completely straightforward and no one should have a problem with that. Highlight the link word, select the Link icon and paste the full path - no need to delete the http:// in your path; it will be ignored. As you see from the prefixed http://, only internet based links are permitted in this forum.

To an extent that makes it less convenient for a user to include images of say a problem into a message - unless the user has Dropbox, Screencast or other online utility to share linked images. I would think that the free Dropbox quota would serve the purpose well.

Virginia

#16 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

To an extent that makes it less convenient for a user to include images of say a problem into a message - unless the user has Dropbox, Screencast or other online utility to share linked images. I would think that the free Dropbox quota would serve the purpose well.
Virginia

Exactly. BUT at least one user has reported (see earlier in this thread) problems using Dropbox ....

#17 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

You have to check the share link that Dropbox provides. If it is https (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure), it looks like the forum may not accept a link with that Secure protocol identifier. If you use the Dropbox option to shorten the name, it changes it to http and it does seem to work, like this example of an image in my Dropbox folder.

I hadn't noticed that problem before, but it is good to know. If you use the Preview Post option when writing a message with a link, you can check the link in that post preview.

Virginia

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5779 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

You have to check the share link that Dropbox provides. If it is https (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure), it looks like the forum may not accept a link with that Secure protocol identifier. If you use the Dropbox option to shorten the name, it changes it to http and it does seem to work, like this example of an image in my Dropbox folder.

Virginia, your linked image does not work when its URL
http://db.tt/D76Dl9t5
is pasted into the IPB Image button dialog. The Edit Post screen shows it but the Preview returns the error "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.". This is the same issue I reported using postimage.org. The URL must contain the complete filename with extension else this error is reported. A missing filename extension is as bad as an unsupported extension.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#19 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

TomH -

We're talking about two different things - images linked with the Link icon (using Dropbox in my example, in reply to someone having a problem with Dropbox links) or using the Image icon and entering the Properties which is apparently what you are talking about. I don't know anything about the Image insertion or whether it is enabled in this board.

Virginia

#20 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I don't know anything about the Image insertion or whether it is enabled in this board.
Virginia

Once again, Virginia ... oranges in the apple pie.