• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mamiechapman

mamiechapman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

My grandmother was single with two children on the 1930 census. In the 1940 census, she married and the children's name were listed with her husband's last name. How do I attach the census image & cite source to the two children. The children's last name were not changed legally. I did list the name as an alternate name
I am using RM 6
Last name in 1930 census: Stone
Last name in 1940 census: Binns
Stone is the correct name.
I would appreciate anyone's help.
Thanks, Mamie

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I do this by the description which I made as part of the sentence.
Example: my temp plate for family census is "The <[date:plain]> census record says,<[couple:casual]> are listed in the household of themselves, <[Desc]>, living <[PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>. "
comes out as "The 3 May 1910 census record says, Oliver M and Catherine E are listed in the household of themselves, he age 38 and she age 38 both born in Kentucky, living in Ford County, Illinois."
[real names are Oliver Miles and Katherine Emma and changed to census recorded names in this particular template = bold font, if I had left it couple:casual it would not have matched the census record.]

Attach your source in the Citation Manager. F1/help menu has good suggestions for how to do this. Also one of the webinars...

In the Source Citation/Detail text section/Research Notes put the spelling and names used as claimed/reported on the actual census record. In Comments, use your comment about the legal name change not found. This can happen in any census record not just the 1940. or use the note section to put your comments about no legal name change that you could not validate.

I would use one or the other or both, [Notes, Comments] play with it as to how your sentence will look like in final report/s. :) One set of rules for this software I have, is how the final copy/report looks is more important that following some one else s guidelines.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have the description field enabled for Census and enter the head of household in the fact description as I do not share Census facts.

My customized sentence for the children would read something like:

[person:first] is listed in the household of [person:hisher] stepfather, [desc],< [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

I would type in the name of the child as given in the census and enter the name of the stepfather in the description. as I do not share Census facts.

Jane is listed as Jane A. Jones in the household of her stepfather, Charles E. Jones, in Sharp County, Arkansas on the 1870 census.

Fact note: Jane was never formally adopted by her stepfather.

I would adjust the sentence according to what relationship the child had to the head of household.

Customize the fact sentence until you like how it reads.

#4 mamiechapman

mamiechapman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Nettie and Laura. Your replies are big help!

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

I have sometimes added a Sort Date to the Alternate Name fact, which causes it to sort into the order preferred. Without a Sort Date, the Alternate Name facts will appear at the end of the narrative.