Photo

Create a Report - Last edited or changes made?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sallyduk

sallyduk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

Hello

Is there a way you can view all the last edited or recent changes made to a database?

I have had a look at the Create a Report option but don't seem to find one that would create a report for all my last changes made to the database.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sally

#2 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

The custom list I think will do this for you.

Roger

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2597 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

If you're just interested in which people were last edited, try this one:

Go to the <People> view tab.
Click <Customize this view> button.
Scroll down the list of <Available columns> and highlight <Last edited>.
Clicking <Add to view> button should move <Last edited> to <Columns to display>.
Click <OK> and the <People> view will have a sortable column for <Last edited>.
Double-clicking <Last edited> column header will alternately sort <People> ascending or descending by <Last edited> date.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

But, it will only tell you who had something edited, not what part of their data was edited.
Alfred

#5 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1150 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

If you're just interested in which people were last edited, try this one:

The report will be correct, but it might not be as valuable as you might hope for. The problem is that if you edit an individual just to look and if you open a note just to look, the date last edited field will be updated if you exit the note with "Save note" rather than with "Cancel". The obvious solution to this problem is to exit from a note with "Cancel" if you didn't change the note. However, whenever I try to discipline myself to follow this advice, I soon end up exiting a note with "Cancel" even if I did change the note, thereby losing all my changes to the note. I've decided that having unreliable date last edited fields is a lesser evil than losing my work, so I always exit notes with "Save note". I wish that being in the Note editor was more like being in a word processor in that it would keep track of whether the note had been changed. Then if I exited with "Cancel" or by hitting the red X in the upper right hand corner of the Note window, it would alert me that something had changed.

Putting this problem aside, a couple of other approaches will yield similar results to the custom report. One is to do a Find from within RM Explorer, searching for the Date Last Edited field. But the easiest way in some ways is to use People View and to make the Date Last Edited field one of your columns. You can click to sort on this column and put the most recently edited individuals either at the top or the bottom of the list. I presently have the columns in my People View set up to support a project I'm working on to be sure every individual in my database has some sort of birth date. So my People View has a Birth Date column, and the view is sorted on that column. But my People View also has a Date Last Edited column and it's trivial to use one click to sort by Date Last Edited temporarily, and then to use one click to resume sorting by Birth Date without having to do any major redesign of my column setup for People View.

Jerry

#6 sallyduk

sallyduk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thank you all so much for the information & advice, it's just what I was looking for :) and so far never been to the People View area but I will now use this option in the future ;)

Sally

#7 sallyduk

sallyduk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Does anyone know of a way you can either change a persons record number or copy a person including their number to another database?

Sally

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

You cannot change Record Numbers inside of RootsMagic. If you GEDCOM into a new blank database there is an option to preserve record numbers. If you import into a database that already has people in it then that option to preserve record numbers will not be available.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I developed a way to batch generate a REFN fact for each person in the RootsMagic database that contains the RM record number or RIN. See http://sqlitetoolsfo...opy RIN to REFN. This fact persists through GEDCOM.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Angela Faulconer

Angela Faulconer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

I found this conversation through google. I was so glad to be able to find out how to see recently changed records. I was able to delete a bunch of slightly different but mostly duplicate rootsmagic files.