6 replies to this topic

#1 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I used to be able to do this with RM 5 but it seems I cannot with RM 6.

I clicked Search and Replace>Place Names and then entered MI to be replaced with Michigan. I clicked Match Case.

Up came a message saying none was found which I know to be not true because there are hundreds of MIs in the report. I tried this with all those state abbreviations (I try not to use state abbreviations but prefer to write them out in full for the benefit of foreigners).

Thanks.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Checking your post, I tried it with SD.

Although I search for ", SD" and replace with ", South Dakota"

It worked fine that way, I have no "SD" abbreviations left in the database.

(by the way, it isn't "Place Names", it is just "Places".)
Alfred

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I tested this with changing MI to Michigan and it works fine for me. Not sure why it's not working for you. Run the File>Database Tools all options and see if that helps.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I already tried ths option tools and there is nothing in either File Options or Program Options relating to Places. I may have to contact Tech support to resolve this.

#5 Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Kahill1918@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Problem resolved! I learned that Search and Replace works only for that screen you are at. It does not work globally. So in Narrative Reports I had to turn this feature on again to make it work on the reports.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3698 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Search & Replace works from its own screen on those fields in the database that is chosen from its dialog window. It does not depend on nor is affected by the current View you have selected. And it does not work on the Reports, only on the database fields that are used in the reports.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Problem resolved! I learned that Search and Replace works only for that screen you are at. It does not work globally. So in Narrative Reports I had to turn this feature on again to make it work on the reports.

Search and replace works on the items within the database.
It will not do anything to report that were generated before you did the search and replace.
Alfred