• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hinson

Hinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

One of my main reasons for switching to RM was the RM Chart printer. However, I've never been able to create a wall chart with acceptable images. What is the secret. The 'primary picture' which shows in the wall chart appears to be reduced to a 2 or 4 bit color image and looks terrible. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4168 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

The actual printed charts' image should reflect the quality of the image it is connected to our your hard drive.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Are you printing the chart directly from your printer, exporting it to take to a commercial printer or having RM/Family ChartMasters print it? If exporting, the .jpg, .bmp, and .emf formats will result in very poor quality grainy photos.

Your best quality for photos is RM/Family ChartMasters. Next best - and excellent quality - is .pdf format. Ask if you need help in saving your chart in the .pdf format.

Virginia

#4 Hinson

Hinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

I just tried again and find that the printed image does appear better than what I see on the screen in the chart. I'll play with it tomorrow and see ho wit turns out. I hadn't tried for over a year but maybe I'll give it another chance. Thanks for your replies.

#5 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

I was speaking specifically about the quality of the print output. As Renee said, the image that appears on screen in your chart should look just like the image on your computer. In what format is the image?

Virginia

#6 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Oops - apparently not. A message from Bruce on the mailing list in 2005 says:

"Since a wall chart could have potentially hundreds (or even thousands) of pictures loaded in memory at the same time, it greatly reduces the resolution of the images in the editing canvas. Otherwise you could end up with gigabytes of images that the program (and Windows) would need to maintain which would not only slow down the program but Windows itself. When the chart is printed the full resolution pictures are used."

Assuming RM6 is using the same chart software as in 2005 -

Virginia

#7 Hinson

Hinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

The image is a .jpg file. It appears as a thumbnail on my RM person page and looks as it should. However, when I create a wall chart, it appears as if it is reduced to a 2-4 color bit image. On a test print last night though (draft quality, plain paper) it does appear normal. I'm a photographer and work with images daily and routinely print large (16"x24" and larger) images and want to print an 8 foot wide ancestor chart so I need good quality input. I'll do a smaller version today on photo grade paper and post the results.

#8 Hinson

Hinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Oops - apparently not. A message from Bruce on the mailing list in 2005 says:

"Since a wall chart could have potentially hundreds (or even thousands) of pictures loaded in memory at the same time, it greatly reduces the resolution of the images in the editing canvas. Otherwise you could end up with gigabytes of images that the program (and Windows) would need to maintain which would not only slow down the program but Windows itself. When the chart is printed the full resolution pictures are used."

Virginia

Now that seems to make sense. My charte does have images for most ancestors going back at least six generations.

#9 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

See my corrected message above. The quality is being reduced on the canvas as you observed.

Virginia