7 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I have several dozen databases, some of which exceed 100k entries. I also have many image folders that are exclusive to these databases. Under Tools>Folders> the options apply to any and all databases. I would like to see the option for calling out a separate folder for the different databases I have.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I have several dozen databases, some of which exceed 100k entries. I also have many image folders that are exclusive to these databases. Under Tools>Folders> the options apply to any and all databases. I would like to see the option for calling out a separate folder for the different databases I have.

I don't quite understand as each database will have it's own and unique specific folder designated under Tools>Folders for the image folder.

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill

Current user of Rootsmagic version 6.3.3.1, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Root

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

No Vyger, the folders are program options not file options.

Although a program multimedia folder of RM-Media could have a subfolder for each RootsMagic database file and it would only be a click away from the default.
Alfred

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 5003 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

The multimedia folder is not very useful unless you store all your images in one folder. I don't have mine that way, they are in sub-folders. Having a separate multimedia setting for each database would be even more useless for me.

What I do is add ".\" (without quotes) to the multimedia file path name field. That way whenever I go to add new media it will take me back to the last folder I opened. Simple and fast.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Maybe I made this request a little more complicated than necessary. For example, I have a good many databases which include images for individuals. I would like to specify which folder contains the images for that particular database. Currently, the FOLDER OPTIONS has a single default folder. I wish each database had its own default image (multimedia) folder. Is that so hard?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 5003 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

So instead of it being a Program Option setting you would like it under the File Option settings. That would work but then we would want to keep the default folder settings together. That would mean anyone starting a new database would have to go in every time to set the default folders. How do you set the default folder on a database before it is created so it is created in the right place?  Maybe you can see now why this is an issue for us. The enhancement request is there but there are serious considerations to take into account. It will require a redesign to work between a file option and program option.

If you put "./" (without quotes) in the multimedia folder location you will only have to drill down to that folder once in a session. Afterwards it will go directly to that last used folder.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Programming to use the Program default folder setting for media in the absence of a File-specific path setting does not sound very complicated. Similar to using a default event sentence in the absence of a local custom one.

Tom
user of RM7022 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

I've been thinking about this little chicken and egg problem, and I don't think there actually is a chicken and egg problem. Here's how it could work.

At the Tools -> Program Options -> Folders level, there would still be the ability to set default folders for five kinds of files: 1) RootsMagic data files, 2) Backup files, 3) Multimedia files, 4) GEDCOM files, and 5) Report Files.

At the Tools -> File Options level there would be a new icon at the bottom, left side of the window for Folders. So you would get to this option via Tools -> File Options -> Folders. There would be the ability to set default folders for four kinds of files: 1) Backup files, 2) Multimedia files, 3) GEDCOM files, and 4) Report Files. The default folder values at the File Options level when a new database was created would be null or blank or whatever you might want to call it. As long as the options at the file level were null or blank, the Program Options would be used instead. Most users would simply leave the File Options -> Folders options null or blank, in which case RM would continue to operate exactly as it does now. But a user such as DerickH could set any or all of the Backup files, Multimedia files, GEDCOM files, and Report files to use a different default folder than value from the Program Options level.

Notice that this would be a kind of inheritance of values from a higher level to a lower level, which is a common concept in all manner of software. But it would be a dynamic kind of inheritance. The File level values would not be set equal to the Program level values at the time a new database was created. Rather, the File level values would be set to null or blank at the time a new database was created. As long as the File level values were left as blank or null, then the File level values would change automatically any time the Program level values would change. So we have totally eliminated the chicken and egg, and we have left the behavior of RM exactly the way it is now for those users who might not choose to use the new feature.

Obviously, we cannot include the default folder for the RootsMagic data files in this process because then there really would be a chicken and egg problem that could not be reconciled. But for the other four kinds of files, there is no chicken and egg problem at all.

Jerry