5 replies to this topic

#1 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

Somehow, I have many duplicate sources. It would be really helpful to be able to do a bulk merge, just like place names.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Somehow, I have many duplicate sources. It would be really helpful to be able to do a bulk merge, just like place names.

The Lists>Source List>Automerge should do this but I believe there is still an outstanding problem here.

Scrutinize the Sources concerned, they need to be identicle down to the last punctuation mark if Automerge is to be effective.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1565 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

quoting Vyger, "The Lists>Source List>Automerge should do this but I believe there is still an outstanding problem here." I agree with this statement. I want my database to be as accurate as possible. So I do the merge of sources and any other merging are done by hand. My upset times come when finding actual dups do not merge with the Automerge. :o But I rather be safe than sorry..... :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5897 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

I have tackled this problem of Source AutoMerge being too fussy that it fails to merge sources that are identical, practically. Please see the wiki page Sources - Merge Duplicate Masters for a more forgiving tool that I may be able to add to RMtrix later.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 DerickH

DerickH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

This seems to be another case of shying away from allowing the user from being stupid. If folks are smart enough to use RM, they should be smart enough to accept the consequences of merging sources without accepting the consequences of inadvertently merging sources that didn't intend to merge. I would really like this option. If I raise my right hand and swear that I accept the unintended consequences, would that make the implementation of this feature a little more acceptable?

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

quoting Vyger, "The Lists>Source List>Automerge should do this but I believe there is still an outstanding problem here." I agree with this statement. I want my database to be as accurate as possible. So I do the merge of sources and any other merging are done by hand. My upset times come when finding actual dups do not merge with the Automerge. :o But I rather be safe than sorry..... :)

I have demonstrated to Rootsmagic that this problem is real, hopefully they will respond in time.

Overcome the negatives, then only positives and praise remains.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root