• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gina

Gina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

In the "FamilySearch Person Tools" side-by-side comparison of a person in RootsMagic and in Family Tree, shared facts and family facts do not show up under "Other Information" on the RootsMagic side.

I suspect this is by design to prevent users from replacing a shared fact in RootsMagic with an individual fact from Family Tree. On the flip side, however, it might also lead to users adding facts from Family Tree that already exist in RootsMagic but aren't visible on the comparison screen.

Would it be possible to display shared and family facts on the RootsMagic side of the screen and either:
(a) make it so they cannot be "replaced" by a Family Tree fact or
(B) make the facts replaceable but make it obvious that the facts are shared/family facts, say by adding a label to the fact type.

Thanks,
Gina

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

We've never displayed shared facts there (even with NFS). Shared facts are technically not "owned" by the person they are shared with. We can look at what would be involved, but I'm not sure whether it is something we could add without making it overly complicated and dangerous.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Gina

Gina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for looking into this. I think it is pretty important, since, even though a "sharee" doesn't own an event, the shared event is usually an event in the sharee's life/timeline, and a comparison of events in RootsMagic and FamilySearch will always be incomplete (and therefore, far less useful) if the RootsMagic comparison panel is missing events in a person's life.

Thanks again,
Gina

#4 Kyle Law

Kyle Law

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Not to mention how useful this is for Census facts. I would hate to type in all those residence events.

#5 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

It is highly useful for Census and Residence facts and would be great to be able to copy a shared census fact (as a census fact) to FT to improve the information in FT.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I have not done anything with RootsMagic's interface to NFS or to FT as it has always seemed too volatile and I don't know how I might benefit or suffer. However, the shared event feature of RootsMagic is incompatible with the rest of the world which motivated me to come up with a tool to convert them to individual events complete with an Undo tool to reverse the process. Maybe it might be of some help in this situation. See Facts - Split Shared to Individual.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I know that other programs (including FT) don't support shared events. I was simply suggesting the ability to copy the event to FT as a regular (non-shared event) even though it is a shared event in RM

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

I was implying that my conversion tool might be used to split the shared events to individual events for the purpose of comparison or copying to FT and then unsplit to return to working with shared events in RootsMagic.

Alternatively, split and unshare and don't go back to the original shared events, which would probably be safer; you could still use shared events on creating new events if that is advantageous and then repeat the split and unshare processes.

As for any outboard and any major inboard processes that change the data, backup, backup, backup.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Confirming enhancement request to show/move shared events to Family Tree is in our tracking system. It's not feasible to add that feature right now so it will take a while before or if that is developed.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 LeeHollenbeck

LeeHollenbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

It would be nice if the shared event, of, for example, a household member of a census would show up under Other Information or somewhere on the RootsMagic Person side of the panel even if the shared event showed up grayed out, italacized, with no checkbox, with SHARED EVENT in great bold letters, and not in chroniclogical order with the other Other Informations. Sigh. A sincere thank you for letting us know that it will not soon be added. I would much rather know that it might not be will not soon, if ever be added. Such knowledge is helpful for me planning how to use RootsMagic, which I looove and consider the best genealogy program available. (If it were to show up in the next update, I would be a very happy camper, and not at all upset the feature did not take a long time to show up in the program ;-) ). I see that Family facts are included.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

I just don't know how to answer that. It all depends on what Development is able to do. We will never add a feature if it breaks another feature. It isn't until we get into active development if we determine it's just not a possibility.

One thing you would have to keep in mind with using Shared fact is that multiple people are involved. On Family Tree that would mean the fact could only be added as a Family Fact which is only for the couple. I don't even know how we would add Shared facts that are not couple related, as in child's birth. The only option would be to make the Shared Fact a single fact when added to FT. This very complicated so I just don't see this happening any time soon. But, the RootsMagician surprises me all the time.
Renee
RootsMagic