1 reply to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

For those who work with trees on Ancestry.com, synchronized with Family Tree Maker 2012 and then import from FTM into RootsMagic, there is a bug in FTM that splits the Place if it contains a forward slash ("/") as in this example, color-coded to highlight the split:

Ancestry.com place: Toronto (West/Ouest) (City/Cité) Ward/Quartier No 5, Toronto (west/ouest) (city/cité), Ontario, Canada
FTM2012 Residence description: Toronto (West/Ouest) (City/Cité) Ward/Quartier No 5, Toronto (west/ouest) (city
FTM2012 place: Cité), Ontario, Canada

The resulting Place is quite useless and not necessarily unique to, in the example cited, any one city. The GEDCOM directly from Ancestry maintains the place intact; it is only FTM2012 that breaks it.

Because I rely on FTM2012 to batch download all the images from Ancestry and FTM's GEDCOM to bring them into RootsMagic, I needed a post-fix to this problem until such time as FTM itself is corrected. I injected SQLite into the breach to heal the fractures in the RM database created by the import: Places - Recombine Fractures from FTM 2012. Perhaps this will be of some help to another person.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Belatedly, I worked out a procedure within FTM 2012 to recombine the fractured places. It is a bit tedious but better than editing one fact at a time; doesn't hold a candle to direct access to the database as we have with RM and a batch process as I did with SQLite. If interested, read http://boards.ancest.../9578.2/mb.ashx . The parsing of the place on the forward slash seems to be a holdover from much earlier versions of FTM and maybe even an old version of GEDCOM which combined a fact place and description on one line, separated by the slash.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.