5 replies to this topic

#1 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

In RM5 is it possible to completely hide, that is make private, a marriage in a narrative report? I've checked "private" in the marriage fact and also unchecked "Include private facts" when generating a report. And in the Edit Person screen, at the top where it lists Spouses, I've checked "private" underneath the "Husband label" / "Wife label".

In the report the marriage fact does not show but the spouse's name does. The point is to completely hide a marriage. For example, one that ended in divorce and the person doesn't want it printed in a report.

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Just disconnect the spouses for 5 minutes, generate the report and reconnect.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Just disconnect the spouses for 5 minutes, generate the report and reconnect.

I have the same issue sometimes, and disconnection temporarly is not a very good solution because the marriage fact may have a note and there may be several sources. So it can be hard to reconnect.

It's probably better to make a copy of the data base (from the File menu, not a drag and drop), do the disconnect in the copy of the database, run the report in the copy of the database, and delete the copy of the database.

Jerry

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

I just had this thought. Why not create a user defined family fact, Secret marriage?

On the Edit fact screen, unmark Narrative report and other choices where you don't want the fact to be used.

Change the Marriage Fact to the user defined family fact on the Edit person screen.

The note, sources and media links would be retained.

Since, if you don't want to print anything about that marriage once, you very likely would always want to keep it private. You could just leave the fact as the user defined fact instead of the Marriage fact.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

I have the same issue sometimes, and disconnection temporarly is not a very good solution because the marriage fact may have a note and there may be several sources. So it can be hard to reconnect.

It's probably better to make a copy of the data base (from the File menu, not a drag and drop), do the disconnect in the copy of the database, run the report in the copy of the database, and delete the copy of the database.

Jerry

That would be almost as easy as doing a backup just before unlinking the spouse to do the report, then restoring the backup.
Alfred

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

That would be almost as easy as doing a backup just before unlinking the spouse to do the report, then restoring the backup.

Yes, your approach is slightly easier than mine. But I would apply the Principle of Parachutes here. The Principle of Parachutes says that you should always carry 1 more parachute than you plan to use. If you are a fighter pilot, then you plan to use 0 parachutes so you carry 1 parachute. If you are a sky diver, then you plan to use 1 parachute so you carry 2 parachutes - your primary that you plan to use and your backup that you don't plan to use. And in an even more extreme example, sometimes parachutists will demonstrate the use of a backup parachute by opening their primary, cutting it loose shortly thereafter, and then opening their backup. Parachutists who perform this demonstration plan to use 2 parachutes, their primary and their backup. So they carry 3 parachutes including a second backup that they do not plan to use.

The analogy with RM is that if you deliberately do something to mess up your primary database and plan to restore it with your backup, then you are in deep trouble if your backup fails - unless you have a second backup that you don't really plan to use. I always have a primary and backup copy of my database, and I never plan to mess up either one on purpose. So instead I will make a copy of my primary and plan to mess up the copy.

Jerry