6 replies to this topic

#1 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have friend with a Mac computer and would love to recommend RM - but can she use it on her Mac?

#2 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Would love a reply as I am leaving soon to lead a RM users group.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Only indirectly using Wine or a virtual Windows machine. See http://forums.rootsm...ram/#entry56560

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Here is an article on the RootsMagic website that speaks about running RootsMagic on a Mac, with help.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/mac/

There is also a link to purchase CrossOver at a discounted price.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I am currently using Roots Magic with Parallels on a Mac Book Air without any problems. The downside is you have to purchase both Windows and Parallels.

#6 AusTx

AusTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

I am currently using Roots Magic with Virtual Box and it works ok but its a hassle because all files are inside the virtual window and I must jump through several hoops to get them to my Mac desktop for additional editing or use. RM has been talking about a Mac Version since before I converted to Mac three years ago. The link provided indicates its a goal to have a Mac version... just wanted to follow-up that I hope its sooner rather than later.

While I only became a Mac user three years ago, but I've been using Roots Magic since it operated earlier name in DOS. This means you sucked me in and I wont even be trying that other genealogy software program but I still hope that RM for Mac is coming soon.....

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

The Mac version was delayed because we had to focus on getting RootsMagic FamilySearch Family Tree Share certified by the deadlines they set. Once we have all the FT API items added to RM we can then focus on developing the Mac version of RM.
Renee
RootsMagic