• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Would be nice of the Descendant view would allow me to display 4 generations, but with collpasible/expandable branches. At the moment, I display 4 generations to hide all the children and grandchildren. But then I want to focus on one branch.

So I click on a person in Generation 4, but I can't see a way to either (a) "expand their branch", (B) re-display the pedigree view, making the person in Generation 4, as the person main descendant © Navigating "down" the tree.

Clicking the Generation Number slider (a) means moving away from the person in question (B) loses focus, and it is difficult find the person you are interested in.

It is great that the Descendant View has red arrows to allow you to go "up" the tree, but it is missing a way to go "down".

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

If you see the red arrow on the left side of the display but not on the right, then maybe you have expanded the view a bit larger than the screen shows.
There should be red arrows on the right for each person who has descendants.
Alfred

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

So I click on a person in Generation 4, but I can't see a way to either (a) "expand their branch", ( B) re-display the pedigree view, making the person in Generation 4, as the person main descendant © Navigating "down" the tree.

Clicking the Generation Number slider (a) means moving away from the person in question ( B) loses focus, and it is difficult find the person you are interested in.

I certainly agree that certain kinds of navigation in Descendant View are much more difficult than they need to be, and that it needs improvements in the vein your are suggesting. In the meantime, I'm not sure I understand the process you are describing. What I do to make a new person be the "top" person in the Descendant View is to highlight my person of interest and quickly switch from Descendant View to another View and then back to Descendant View. It's crude and shouldn't be necessary, but it works.

The problem I have more often is where something like 4 generations are too few and 5 generations are too many (or 3 generations are too few and 4 generations are too many, or whatever). Which is to say, many times I need spouses without children. But if you add a generation, you gain both spouses and children. If you subtrace a generation, you lose both spouses and children. So there needs to be a button of some kind up next to the slider bar to include or exclude the last generation of children from the display.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

When you are in the descendant view you can highlight a descendant that you want as primary and click on Search>Move to primary position. Or just use the short-cut Alt-Home.

Clicking on the red arrows to the left go to ancestors, to the right go to descendants.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I wonder if the original request might have been for the right arrow to expand just that one person's family another generation.
That sounds like it would be nice, I don't usually care too much about moving everyone over a generation.
Alfred

#6 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

There should be red arrows on the right for each person who has descendants.

Clicking on the red arrows to the left go to ancestors, to the right go to descendants.

Except that there are NO arrows to the right in descendant view .... which is exactly what the OP said:

It is great that the Descendant View has red arrows to allow you to go "up" the tree, but it is missing a way to go "down".

And if those right arrows were there, the directional movement would be exactly the opposite of the left/right arrow functionality in pedigree view.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Except that there are NO arrows to the right in descendant view .... which is exactly what the OP said:

There *ARE* arrows to the right in the Descendants view when there are additional descendant generations to be shown.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

You must mean those invisible ones ....

http://www.imagebam....d3243085189.jpg

http://www.imagebam....2d243085187.jpg

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I can make the right side of RootsMagics's view, or any other view, by making it larger than my display area or dragging it off the right edge.

The following isn't meant for Ludlow since he already knows everything.

There should be three icons in the upper right corner of the display, an underline, a double window and an X.
If you see an underline a single window and an X, click on the single window to change to full screen view. OR, just move the cursor to the title-bar at the top, press the left button and drag the whole display to the left a bit.
Alfred

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

http://s4.postimage....3_13_202042.png

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

I can make the right side of RootsMagics's view, or any other view, by making it larger than my display area or dragging it off the right edge.

The following isn't meant for Ludlow since he already knows everything.

There should be three icons in the upper right corner of the display, an underline, a double window and an X.
If you see an underline a single window and an X, click on the single window to change to full screen view. OR, just move the cursor to the title-bar at the top, press the left button and drag the whole display to the left a bit.

Maybe not everything, Alfred, but apparently more than you B) I resolved my issue in spite of your elementary instructions.

Note that in my screenshot (below), the "Main Menu" (File/Edit/Lists/Add, etc.) is displayed, while it is not visible in Kevin's earlier screenshot. In my view, then, there are two (or more) sets of icons in the upper right corner: one set for the RM program itself, and one set (or more) for each open database. In my case, the RM program window was maximized but the database window was not, rendering its set of icons invisible. It was not readily apparent that this second set of icons even existed.

http://www.imagebam....fc243115826.jpg

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Ludlow something is wrong with your link to the screen shot. It does sound like from your description you have resolved the issue with viewing the red arrows to the right.
Renee
RootsMagic

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Ludlow something is wrong with your link to the screen shot.

YES, just an FYI, this ImageBam service has apparently been compromised in some way. A popup is generated that tries to mislead the visitor into believing they need to update their Adobe Flash to a PRO version and prompts them to install malware from a malicious website named update93.com

Also confirmed here:

http://forum.beyond3...d.php?p=1718715 (post #259)

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

In my case, the RM program window was maximized but the database window was not, rendering its set of icons invisible. It was not readily apparent that this second set of icons even existed.

There should be a slider or (sliders) on your window, programmed to allow perusing the entirety of the window.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the pointers, I've just found the arrows on the right-hand side of the screen, which appear if I set the generations sliders to 3 or 4, and there more generations to display.

#16 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I wonder if the original request might have been for the right arrow to expand just that one person's family another generation.
That sounds like it would be nice, I don't usually care too much about moving everyone over a generation.

Correct, I'd like to be able to expand a selected branch, without the clutter of expanding all the other colaterial branches.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

I hear what you are saying but that would mean the red arrows would need to work two different ways to make everyone happy. Not sure how that would work.
Renee
RootsMagic

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Right-click and long press are two ways of adding options to a hot spot.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.