16 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

FamilySearch announced on 5 Mar 2013 that FamilySearch Family Tree on www.familysearch.org is live for everyone. The Family Tree is the replacement for New Family Search. Currently RootsMagic and other third party products only sync with the New FamilySearch Website (http://new.familysearch.org). The two website do share data, but only the Summary view (yellow star) data on NFS is being passed to the Family Tree.

We are still waiting for FamilySearch to complete the API to FamilySearch Family Tree so we can sync with it. When that capability is available we will release a free update to RootsMagic 6 to include it.

If you gain access to Family Tree you will also gain access to the New FamilySearch website. Your login can be used on both websites. That mean anyone can access NFS through RootsMagic.

A word of caution here. RootsMagic (as do other third party affiliate products) allow combing on NFS, PLEASE DON"T USE that part of the program. Combines on NFS are messing up things on Family Tree. That is because Family Tree uses a different process called Merging and they are not the same thing.

During this transition period both websites are actually pretty unstable. There are periods of time that both sites go down. So be patient. The announcement that FamilySearch Family Tree is available to everyone is a significant milestone in its development. We are excited to bring the ability to sync with Family Tree through RootsMagic to our users in the near future.

Below is a link to the FamilySearch Blog article on Family Tree going live, and a comment by RootsMagic's Vice President Michael Booth.

https://familysearch...earchorg-users/

"Michael Booth says:

March 6, 2013 at 8:52 am

We (RootsMagic) are currently hard at work testing and finishing our integration with FamilySearch Family Tree.

While the web-site has now been officially released and open to the public, the API that we use to work with the system is still being tested and tweaked by FamilySearch engineers.

We hope to have an announcement soon."
Renee
RootsMagic

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 RootsMagic became the first and only software certified to share data with FamilySearch Family Tree.

You can download RootsMagic 6 (Family Tree Beta) at: http://www.rootsmagic.com/tree/

The download is the full install of the program and will give you version 6.1. The only changes in that version is the removal of New FamilySearch sync and the replacement with Family Tree sync. If you currently have a 6.0 version of RM you will not receive an update indicator notice about this new version. That is because 6.1 is a beta version. You only need the new version if you wish to sync with Family Tree. When the Family Tree API is taken out of beta status then we will push the 6.0 update indicator to all users.

Currently, the only way to get version 6.1 is by downloading from this link: http://www.rootsmagic.com/tree/

If you purchase RM6 through the online store, or download RM6 essentials you will still receive 6.0 at this time.

We recommend that you watch the tutorials and read the FAQs before posting on the forums or submitting tickets to support.

Tutorials: http://www.rootsmagic.com/tree/Videos/

FAQs: http://www.rootsmagic.com/tree/FAQ/
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 olive

olive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Does the beta affect RM6 to go?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Yes, if you download 6.1 it will change the RM To-Go utility program so you can install/update your flash drive.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 olive

olive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

So how do I find out for sure that Roots to go is 6.1?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3834 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

If you have updated your PC to RM 6.1, when you plug in your flash drive and start RootsMagic To-Go, it will tell you that your PC has a newer version of RM than the flash drive and invite you to update the latter. Edit: forgot to add that whether running your main RM or your portable RM, Help > About will tell you the version number.

Edited by TomH, 26 March 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 olive

olive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

In the 6.1 version I just downloaded I got in the news & updates this link http://forums.rootsm...update-history/. Do I need to install it or not?

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

Last night we released version 6.1.0.1 so yes, do the update from within RootsMagic. We have not updated the forums page yet because 6.1 is separate and still in beta.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 olive

olive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

What's the difference between 6.1 & 6.1.0.1? I just wanted to make sure downloading the update didn't put me back to 6.0

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

You need to download the update 6.1.0.1 from http://www.rootsmagic.com/tree . Or if you have 6.1 already installed on your computer you will see an update indicator.

You cannot get 6.1 through 6.0 right now or if you download from the download page on the website. Just go to the above link to be safe.

The difference between 6.1 and 6.1.0.1 is some bug fixes to Family Tree sync.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

We just put out a new RootsMagic Blog article about the shutting down of (old) New.FamilySearch.org and how that will effect users prior to version 6.1. The link is: http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=1681

Sunday, June 30, 2013 FamilySearch will be turning off the ability to write to the New FamilySearch. It will basically go in read-only status and will be completed turned off by the end of the year.

You will need to upgrade to RootsMagic 6.1 or use RootsMagic 6.1 Essentials (free version) to work with FamilySearch Family Tree.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 MerleO

MerleO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Unable to login to Family Search.............

I attempted to create an account yesterday via Ver 5 then read forum info on requiring Ver 6.
(Account creation did state I would receive an email..........never did......after 26 hrs)

Just downloaded Ver 6.3.0.5.........and unable to login to "Family Central" function......"Invalid ID or Password"

I attempted to create an account and "account already established" resulted.

Do I have to create a new ID or password for Ver 6?

Getting frustrating.

#13 MerleO

MerleO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

I just tried to create a FS account using a new user ID but same email and birth date............returned "account already exists"

Cannot log in.

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Go to www.FamilySearch.org and test you login there. If you have problems with it you can contact their support under Help.

Once you have it working on FamilySearch.org then you should be able to use it inside of RootsMagic.
Renee
RootsMagic

#15 kilroyonline

kilroyonline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

Renee,

I found the knowledge article from August 14, 2013. I have validated my user name and password on FamilySearch and I cannot log into FamilySearch from within RootsMagic still. When I "check for updates" in RootsMagic, I get a "no updates" response.

What is the staus of this issue?

Thank you.

1/26/2014
I was able to log in finally!!!
Very happy now. :)

Edited by kilroyonline, 27 January 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#16 Judith Swann

Judith Swann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Unfortunately Roots Magic is still updating new.familysearch. Are you still saying do not use the combine part from RM?

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4288 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

RootsMagic only syncs with FamilySearch Family Tree (FT API) right now. It is FamilySearch that is going behind the scenes and changing things on (old) new.familysearch.org to match what was sent to Family Tree. RootsMagic can not directly do that. You need version 6.1 or later (now at 6.3.0.6) to work with Family Tree. The NFS API (RM 6.0 or earlier versions) will no longer add anything to (old) new.familysearch.org. The (old) new.familysearch.org website is frozen and can no longer be edited by anyone but FamilySearch. Combining was part of (old) new.familysearch.org and you haven't been able to do that for about a year now. On the Family Tree we use merging.
Renee
RootsMagic