19 replies to this topic

#1 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Please understand that I'm not technical, so I need easy to follow step by step instructions. You folks are usually really good with that, so I am asking for help yet again.

I have RM6 and I followed your clear instructions to the letter for putting the RM app on my iPod Touch via Dropbox. Success. Now I would like the app to sync with all my RM databases when I back up. (I have 5. One larger and all the rest small.) Please tell me if the following will work.

If I go into RM6 Program Options and change the Back Up path to Me>My Documents>My Dropbox>Apps>RootsMagic, will that do the trick? Or should I click once more and make the Back Up path Me>My Documents>My Dropbox>Apps>RootsMagic>.dropbox? Or will none of this work?

If I did this would it also sync every time I plug in my iPod to charge also? That would be ideal. (For everything else it syncs via iTunes).

Thanks for your help. Sorry if these questions seem dumb and elementary, but history was my area.
Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Backups (the .rmgb files) do not work on the iOS app. Only the uncompressed RootsMagic file (ending with the .rmgc extension) works. There is no safe, automatic shortcut to keeping the file on the iOS device synchronised with your working file. It is inadvisable to have your working file in the DropBox folder as there is potential for conflict between DropBox and RootsMagic and it keeps your computer unnecessarily busy. Your working file should be kept in a folder that makes sense for your normal usage. When you want to update the iOS device, copy the working file to your DropBox folder.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Wow, am I ever glad I asked before I jumped in and did that! Thank you.

On the webinar, Michael Booth makes an aside that if you make it the default file, every time you make a change it will change also on the app. This wasn't too well explained because it was only an aside.

Considering that, and that I have updated my databases on my main computer since I downloaded them onto the app, would the following work?

In RM6, go to Tools>Program Options>RootsMagic Data Files
Click the ellipses (...)
Choose My Documents>My Dropbox>Apps>RootsMagic

Would I have to do this for each database? Is this wise?

FYI, I back up religiously and frequently to an external hard drive, but I won't have access to it when I travel. I will be using a netbook, RM6 To Go and the app on iPod Touch.

Sorry to be so obsessive about this but the family reunion and possibly last research trip is overseas in June, and I don't want any glitches.

Thank you for being so helpful.
Canuk

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Maybe I did not make the point clear enough. Do not set your Program Options > Folders > Data files to a DropBox folder of any path! Nor move your database files from a non-Dropbox folder to a Dropbox folder of any path. That will make your computer unnecessarily busy and raise the risk of a RootsMagic-Dropbox conflict with potential corruption of the database file as a consequence. Unfortunately, your take on what Michael Booth said understates the frequency of changes that take place to the database file when it is opened by RootsMagic. The database file keeps track of the current person selected and the current main view and possibly a bunch of other things. It is changed when RM opens it, when you move around in the database or change the view, and when it is closed. Dropbox detects every one of those changes unless you suspend it during your RM session and attempts to sync to every one. If your file is large or the network bandwidth low, Dropbox falls behind and keeps accessing the changing file while you are working on it. Because we are likely to forget to suspend Dropbox, it is safer to keep your working database outside Dropbox and copy the revised file to Dropbox after you finish your RM session or just before you want to have a sync copy made available to your iOS app.
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thank goodness for your advice. Now I understand the workings behind Dropbox, and what you say makes sense. Given these principles, I guess it would be the same if started all over using iTunes. Scary! So, now that you are probably more familiar with my set up than I am, what would be the best step by step way to update my files on my app manually? Thank you so much for taking all this time with me.
Canuk

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

You can update the files from your netbook to your iPod RootsMagic app via either:
  • Dropbox
  • iTunes
In both cases, you will use Windows Explorer to copy and paste the desired files from their working folder(s) to the appropriate destination.

Dropbox: it sounds like that destination folder is My Documents>My Dropbox>Apps>RootsMagic. When you have an Internet connection, DropBox will automatically detect that there is a newer file in the folder than what is on the server and upload it to the DropBox server. The next time you open your iPod RootsMagic app with the iPod connected to the Internet, it should detect that the file on the DreopBox server is newer than the one on the iPod and invite you to initiate the download

iTunes: The destination is not a folder but rather the file list in iTunes for the RootsMagic app. You will only see the File Sharing window when you have connected your iPod to the netbook via the USB cable. Follow the instructions in the user manual under File Sharing: Transfer files via iTunes. In this case, you directly overwrite the old file in the iPod with the new file that you drop/paste from Windows Explorer into the list. There is no further step to take on the iPod.

Caveat: Do not open the RootsMagic file in the DropBox folder with the RootsMagic app Windows program. If it has the same name as your working file, it will end up in the list of recently accessed database files above the working one and you may inadvertently do further work on the copy, not the original, and then lose that effort when you next copy from the working folder to the Dropbox one.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3881 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm not sure Tom's Caveat is worded right. I would say: Do not open the RootsMagic file in the DropBox folder with the RootsMagic PROGRAM.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thanks, Renee. That's what I meant. Of course RootsMagic is an app/program twice over, one being the iOS read-only app/program, the other, the full-fledged Windows app/program. I guess the short form app implies a smaller application but ambiguity remains without the OS descriptor.

#9 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Okay, now I'm really scared. Maybe what I will do is go to my iPod, tap it and delete the app. Then download it again and reinstall through iTunes on my main computer. Then I will follow your instructions above for when I update from time to time. Any catastrophic warnings before I do that?

BTW, I don't think I quite made my set up clear. I do most of my work on my big laptop at home. I travel with my netbook, and now with my new iPod Touch (thank you, Santa). I have always really liked RM because I could use it while out and about with RM to Go and it was easy to come back to the main computer, i.e. the laptop, and update so everything has the latest information. This June I will be in the UK and I expect getting and sharing a lot of information very fast at a family reunion. I will also be going to a lot of very out of the way church graveyards where there is no wi-fi, so I want everything to be tickety-boo. If anybody has any further words of wisdom, I'm all ears.
Canuk

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

You should neither be scared nor have to delete the app and reinstall. Just include Apps when you sync iTunes and your iPod. You will need to have iTunes on your netbook syncing with the iPod in order to transfer the RootsMagic database file from your flash or hard drive to your iPod sans WiFi. Otherwise, you will be dependent on DropBox and, consequently, a WiFi/Internet connection.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

One other caution: the current 1.0.1 version of the iOS RM Reader app appears to be unreliable to varying degrees - unusable in my case. If you have not updated to it from 1.0.0, then don't! There is no going back. Hopefully, a stable update will be released well before your trip.

#12 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

After several days I have finally gotten brave enough to try to update my app. All the above answers were helpful, but I was now quite worried. I haven't a clue if i have 1.0.1 RM Reader or not. I have just been accepting app updates as soon as they come in. I decided to give it a shot after Michael Booth answered my question before the last webinar. He said to add a copy of my database to the RM app in Dropbox. It will ask me if I want to overwrite, and to say yes. Finally, this sounded simple. This part was. Then I plugged in my iPod. It started syncing via iTunes automatically as per usual. Then I got this cryptic message on the RM app:

This operation could not be completed. (INSURLErrorDomain error-1001.). {"/var/mobile/Applications/BEE5496A-CBD0-407C-9968-DF64AF04ACD4/Documents/EVE Tree.rmgc";path=/EVE Tree RM4.rmgc";}

EVE Tree RM4.rmgc is the name of my current database. I haven't gotten around to changing it, and I probably won't. I know what it means and it will just confuse things if I start now.

Anyway, after lots of tapping both in Dropbox and the App, the thing finally updated.

Really, there must be an easier way. I hope finding a seamless automatic way of syncing databases is on the top of you list for improving the app -- like my music. When I plug the ipod into my computer to charge, it syncs automatically. You don't need more bells and whistles. All the rest of the app is great.
Canuk

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

If "EVE Tree RM4.rmgc" implies that this is a RM4 database, then it probably should not work with the iOS RootsMagic Reader app, which was developed when RM5 was out and released after RM6.

As far as I understand, apps other than Apple's that support file transfer via iTunes require a manual transfer and do not auto sync. Or put it another way, Apple reserves sync for its own stuff. I might be way off base but that's my experience.

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3881 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

http://www.rootsmagic.com/iOS/FAQ/

What version of RootsMagic files does the app support?
The app should work with files created by RootsMagic 4, 5, and 6. It will not work with files created by RootsMagic 3 or older.
Renee
RootsMagic

#15 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for all your help, folks. First, I am using an RM6 data files. It is just the name that I never got around to changing. Also, I followed the instructions on the FAQ and still got that weird message. Maybe something went goofy in Dropbox? Either way, I'll wait now until I have to update again and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Canuk

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Maybe confirm that DropBox server has fully received the revised file before attempting to retrieve it with the iOS app. However, the app and DropBox should have a way of gracefully handling that situation.

#17 lpmerritt

lpmerritt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

I have read and reread these posts hoping for understanding, but I guess I am not smart enough to figure this out.  When I first got the app I downloaded my RM file and it has been fine.  I have done work and want to update the ipad/iphone.  I use the dropbox and I have tried plugging it into my machine, but alas I can't get the file to cross over.  It saves it in a rmgb file, but my iphone says it doesn't support rmgb, but supports rmgc files.  How in the heck do I get an rmgc file?  How ever did I do it the first time?

#18 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

.rmgb files.are RM database backup files.  .rmgc files are the database files.  The IOS and Android apps works with the .rmgc database file, not the backup files.

In the latest update of RM 6, we can now directly save and update a database directly to Dropbox  online from within RM regardless of where the database is saved on the computer.  This updates Dropbox all at once instead of having the database in the Dropbox folder on the computer and every time you make a change, the database is updated online.

In RM, go to File, Save to Dropbox for Apps.   Enter your email and password and then Allow RM to save the database to Dropbox, Apps, RootsMagic on the next screen.

Open the RootsMagic app on the phone or tablet.  Go to File, Dropbox and select your database.  The database file will be saved from Dropbox to the device if new or updated if it is already saved on the device.

Backup your database so you feel secure you can recover it if you make a mistake and then experiment with Dropbox and the RootsMagic app.

I consider my main backup to be the copy of my database on my SD card that lives on my computer not the copy on Dropbox.  I use RootsMagic To Go to update the SD card when I close RM and have made any changes to the database.

Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#19 lpmerritt

lpmerritt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Okay so it worked, however when I looked at the pedigree, my dad's death doesn't show and in the small info box that pops up it doesn't show the death date also.  So all this time I thought the data wasn't coming over.  When I pressed View Full Details I saw that his information was there.  Crazy.

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3881 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

It may be an indexing issue. In the desktop version of RootsMagic go to File>Database Tools and run all options there. It's the Rebuild Indexes that would fix this, but it's good to run all the database tools periodically. After that you would need to upload your database to your device again.

If that's not the issue then open your father's Edit Person screen and check if there is more than one death fact. One may be blank and marked primary so that is why it's showing. I would just delete it.

Renee
RootsMagic