6 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Working with ever growing Media Galleries is challenging to say the least and one leading program makes this a little easier by allowing the user to categorize media items and create their own custom categories.

In short I would like to see such a facility added to Rootsmagic to help users manage those ever growing Media collections. The screen shot below is borrowed from another program and I have added a few categories of my own to try and better illustrate it's possibilities, after all media collections need a good filing system.

Posted Image

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

This type of feature, along with other improvements to the whole media handling capability of RootsMagic would get my vote. MVS,

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

Vyger is to be commended for envisioning usability improvements and explaining them with graphics and examples from the real world.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

This suggestion looks like it would be effectively similar to the method I currently use. I have a main "media" folder with a bunch of subfolders (38 on the first level, over 40 on the second level) for categorizing my images and documents. I don't often create new folders, anymore. I don't think that adding categorization to the Media Gallery would reduce my keystrokes, so I'm not sure I would start using the Media Gallery. Right now, I attach all images and documents by selecting [Media] [Add new media] [Disk]. I now have over 9,800 multimedia links, many of which LOST their captions when I upgraded from RM4 to RM5 to RM6, because a decision by RM was made to allow only a singe caption per image/document, rather than multiple captions (which were previously allowed). I'm gradually finding and replacing those lost captions, and not looking forward to being forced to adopt another re-organization.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Vyger is to be commended for envisioning usability improvements and explaining them with graphics and examples from the real world.

A picture is worth a thousand words :D

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Confirming enhancement request and comments are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm gradually finding and replacing those lost captions, and not looking forward to being forced to adopt another re-organization.

I'm sure TomH could suggest some help on working through those lost captions and I don't see why this change would affect your or others ways of working. I also have a folder structure but this categorization change would compliment any existing filing system making it stronger.

Root