• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#1 gencat

gencat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

When I tap on one name in any of the views the app closes. It only happens with the one person in the one database as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the app and also doing a new back-up of the file.

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

In RootsMagic run the File>Database Tools on that database. Run all options, if errors are reported run through the options a second time. Then try that database on the iPad.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 gencat

gencat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks, Renee.
I tried that but it is still doing it. What it is doing is the person in question shows up correctly in both the Pedigree View and the Surname list but if you click on that name, in either view, to go to the family view, the program closes. The person behaves correctly in the desktop program. This only happens in the Ipad App.

Renee

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Open a support ticket and send us a backup (.rmgb) of your database for testing. Tell us which person it is happening to and the sets you take to repeat the crash.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

I am experiencing a similar problem with 1.0.1. The app has become useless because of the closures, returning the wrong person in the popup on the parents in family view and I do not know what else. A return to v1.0.0 would be an improvement. If this is the result of some error in the data transport, then there needs to be some error detection built into the process; however, I rather doubt that is the case as a SQLite error report should have been captured.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 gencat

gencat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks, Renee.
I submitted a ticket along with the backup of the file in question.

Thanks

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

TomH also send in a support ticket the your database, along with the step to reproduce the issues you are seeing.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

TomH also send in a support ticket the your database, along with the step to reproduce the issues you are seeing.

#32494 "iOS app crashing" submitted

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm having a very similar problem. After doing quite a bit of data entry, I opened the app on my iPad. I have one family who have "disappeared" in the app. Their information is actually there, but the screen is blank.

The other issue I am having is that after Dropbox synced with my iPad, I now have my Bernier.rmgc file, but I suddenly also have a Bernier-journal file which is not a file that I created. In fact, if I click on the Bernier-journal file, I get a message telling me this is not a .rgmc file.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm having a very similar problem. After doing quite a bit of data entry, I opened the app on my iPad. I have one family who have "disappeared" in the app. Their information is actually there, but the screen is blank.

Open a support ticket and submit a FIle>Backup (.rmgb) of your database. Tell us what family to look at.
http://support.roots..._requests/new

The other issue I am having is that after Dropbox synced with my iPad, I now have my Bernier.rmgc file, but I suddenly also have a Bernier-journal file which is not a file that I created. In fact, if I click on the Bernier-journal file, I get a message telling me this is not a .rgmc file.

Go into your computers' Dropbox>App>RootsMagic folder and see if that other file is in there.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

The journal file is created each time RootsMagic's SQLite database engine updates the file, which is frequently. It is deleted if the update was successful. What this indicates to me are two things:
  • You have been opening the RootsMagic database in the DropBox folder with the RootsMagic program, something that I strongly advise against in a parallel thread.
  • If the journal file has remained after closing RootsMagic, SQLite failed to complete a SQL UPDATE and, quite possibly, your database is now corrupted in some way.
Keep your working database file out of the DropBox folder. Only copy using Windows the working database file to the DropBox folder when you want to sync up your iOS app to it. Never open a RootsMagic database file in the DropBox folder with the RootsMagic program.

Given the risk of database corruption, you should run the File > Database Tools utilities on your working database file. If the integrity test fails, then the database was most certainly corrupted. Rebuild indexes may fix it.

#12 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

The journal file is created each time RootsMagic's SQLite database engine updates the file, which is frequently. It is deleted if the update was successful. What this indicates to me are two things:

• You have been opening the RootsMagic database in the DropBox folder with the RootsMagic program, something that I strongly advise against in a parallel thread.
  • If the journal file has remained after closing RootsMagic, SQLite failed to complete a SQL UPDATE and, quite possibly, your database is now corrupted in some way.
Keep your working database file out of the DropBox folder. Only copy using Windows the working database file to the DropBox folder when you want to sync up your iOS app to it. Never open a RootsMagic database file in the DropBox folder with the RootsMagic program.

Given the risk of database corruption, you should run the File > Database Tools utilities on your working database file. If the integrity test fails, then the database was most certainly corrupted. Rebuild indexes may fix it.

Tom,
I never have my RM database and the RM app open at the same time. In fact, I always wait a sufficient amount of time after working in RM and closing the program before I open the RM app. I have been using Dropbox for quite some time and I am fully aware of the nuances.

I did run the Database Tools on my file (the first thing I did when I discovered the issue). The integrity test found no problems with my file.

#13 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Open a support ticket and submit a FIle>Backup (.rmgb) of your database. Tell us what family to look at.
http://support.roots..._requests/new

Go into your computers' Dropbox>App>RootsMagic folder and see if that other file is in there.

Support request #32573 has been submitted.

There was/is no bernier.journal file in the dropbox>App>RootsMagic folder.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Tom,
I never have my RM database and the RM app open at the same time. In fact, I always wait a sufficient amount of time after working in RM and closing the program before I open the RM app. I have been using Dropbox for quite some time and I am fully aware of the nuances.

I did run the Database Tools on my file (the first thing I did when I discovered the issue). The integrity test found no problems with my file.

you misunderstood. I don't think there is any issue having the iOS RM Reader app open at the same time as the Windows RM app. They are accessing separate files, each in their respective local storage. The Reader will report that there is a newer file if both computer and iOS device are connected to the DropBox server; when you start the iOS device download, the action is strictly between the server and th device and does not involve the Windows computer.

The issue I raised has to do with opening the database file in the Windows computer's Dropbox folder with the Windows RootsMagic program. It is the one that creates temporary journal files. I am wary about the Dropbox client competing with RootsMagic for access to both the database and journal files; there is risk of and anecdotal history of conflict. That's why I urge you to keep the working database outside any Dropbox folder and copy it there only when you need to sync your iOS device to it.

Glad to hear the integrity check passed. Sounds like your blank family on the iOS device is the same kind of fault in th Reader app that gencat and I reported.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

The Database Tools might not always find every type of corruption that could have taken place in your database. If you have your database inside Dropbox and are actively reading and writing to it there, then it's highly likely you have some corruption given the issue with your database when loaded to the app. Try a drag n drop of your entire database into a new blank database and then run it in the app.

I know you have a support ticket and Jason will get to it, but I wanted to post the directions here for everyone else's benefit.
Renee
RootsMagic

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

The same problems I experience with the iOS RM Reader app v1.0.1 crashing or misreporting persist on a new database filled by Drag'n'Drop from the problematic database file. So the fault has nothing to do with some obscure database corruption. It almost certainly was caused by a change in the application from the prior version which did not exhibit these faults with what was essentially the same, if not identical, database file.

#17 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

For me, the results are the same regardless of whether I sync the database via DropBox (DropBox is a copy of my database - not the file that I open in the RootsMagic program on my PC) or iTunes. This is the exact same database that was being used prior to the release/update of "RM Reader app v1.0.1". The issue did not exist until the iOS app had been updated.

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Development was able to report yesterday that they can reproduce some crashing. This is the first step in our being able to look for a fix. We appreciate those that have sent in their databases for testing.
Renee
RootsMagic

#19 creik

creik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

The problem of the app closing/crashing afer a few clicks is the problem of the new update. I have the updated version on my phone and the old one on my iPad. I can do the same thing just fine in the old version. On my iPhone I can only do about 5 taps and it closes, doesn't matter what I am doing, searching, scrolling back via the pedigree view, etc.

I hope we can get a fixed version. It seems that with most updates for the iPhone that the creators try to improve it and only make it so they don't work anymore! Just saying...

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4146 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

The problem of the app closing/crashing afer a few clicks is the problem of the new update. I have the updated version on my phone and the old one on my iPad. I can do the same thing just fine in the old version. On my iPhone I can only do about 5 taps and it closes, doesn't matter what I am doing, searching, scrolling back via the pedigree view, etc.

I hope we can get a fixed version. It seems that with most updates for the iPhone that the creators try to improve it and only make it so they don't work anymore! Just saying...

Please open a support ticket and send us the backup of your database you are using that crashes. Give us the exact steps you take that will cause the crash so we can reproduce this.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic