3 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2435 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

In a quote from Rootsmagic News "So like in big city politics, vote early and often :-D" well I would also like to say in big city politics it is customary for give aways and tax breaks prior to any election.

There are many long standing items on the enhancement table and development has been a little lean of late imo, so I would suggest it is probably the best time from a business perspective to woooo customers with a significant in version enhancement package. ;)

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

In a quote from Rootsmagic News "So like in big city politics, vote early and often :-D" well I would also like to say in big city politics it is customary for give aways and tax breaks prior to any election.

There are many long standing items on the enhancement table and development has been a little lean of late imo, so I would suggest it is probably the best time from a business perspective to woooo customers with a significant in version enhancement package. ;)

Had this "Favorite Genealogy Software" been restricted to one-vote-per-registered-user, it might have had some validity. As it stands, it is no more legitimate than thousands upon thousands of "Like" votes on Facebook.

RootsMagic has not been dedicated to retaining customers for several years. Instead, they have discovered that it is easier and cheaper to continually announce exciting new enhancements, reel in thousands of new paying victims based on the hype, and then provide poorly integrated features and a vacant promise that any shortcomings are "in the tracking system".

To those unsuspecting folks who will fall into this trap, remember this slogan:

RootsMagic: A Favorite Today ..... Forgotten Tomorrow

#3 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is not a simple 'like' vote. The poll under discussion requires registration plus a tiresome daily captcha to decipher, and allows one vote per 24 hours for a month. The voting mechanism has been designed (and used by many reputable organizations) specifically to reflect user dedication.

Virginia

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2435 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

It's not quite registration, just seems to be any old email address without validation plus the captcha. It is true to say that such systems do not represent true opinion as the reslts can be distorted not only by user dedication but also abuse.

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill