• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Leslieg

Leslieg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Is there a way to create a list of which individuals use a particular source? I want to clean up some sources that I've used but don't want to delete them if they are still used.

Thanks-
Leslie G

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Lists
Source List
--Highlight the source
Click the print button
--choose "print a single source"
--be sure to choose "Citation details" to get the people and fact using the source.
--- any other options you want
Click "Generate Report"

You can now print it or save it to one of four different file types.
(by default, the saved file will go to the folder you choose for reports.)
Alfred

#3 Leslieg

Leslieg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Thank you Alfred - much appreciated!

#4 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Is there a way to create a list of which individuals use a particular source? I want to clean up some sources that I've used but don't want to delete them if they are still used.

Alfred already described a way to create a list of individuals that use a particular source. If the list is empty, then the source is unused. Well, strictly speaking it's a list of citations where the source is used and the citations can be for individuals or facts. But the principle remains that if the list is empty then the source is unused.

I would also point out that when you go through the dialog to delete a source, it will alert you if you are trying to delete a source that is still in use. That's very helpful as a final check.

What doesn't exist as far as I can tell is a list of unused sources under List -> Sources. By contrast, there is a list of unused places under List -> Places. What I think also might be helpful in both cases is that the main list of sources or places could contain a little one column flag of some kind which tells you which of the sources or places are used or unused.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3987 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

What doesn't exist as far as I can tell is a list of unused sources under List -> Sources. By contrast, there is a list of unused places under List -> Places. What I think also might be helpful in both cases is that the main list of sources or places could contain a little one column flag of some kind which tells you which of the sources or places are used or unused.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3537 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

See Source List Query for an interim workaround. The MasterSources.sql query gives a count of citations for each source. SQLiteSpy or other SQLite manager can sort the results on that column so all the 0 counts come first - those are the unused sources. If using SQLite is too daunting, the query is included in the RMtrix application.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.