• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BESLO

BESLO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Is there a way I can easily migrate my RM6 data to a MySQL database. I am running a website targeted at everyone interested in researching y family name.
The website is driven by a MySql database so I am looking for a way to copy the data from my RM6 database to my MySql database.
Does anyone know of a script (php, VBScript, Visual Basic or other) I could use to migrate everything?
Using GedCom export is not really what I want, too much is lost in most conversion scripts I have.

I know I will have to adjust my website DB structure, but that will not be an issue.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3983 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

If you can use the structure of the RootsMagic database in MySql, this would seem to be a lot easier than transforming the data from RM to a different structure. It would only require the migration of the data from the SQLite3 database file that RM uses to a matching MySql file. SQLite3 does have a feature that exports a database to SQL commands. If MySql syntax is the same, then it would be simply a matter of executing all the commands. More than likely, there are differences in syntax that will have to be identified and the sql file edited to make the commands compatible. Worst-case scenario is that SQLite3 has something totally incompatible with MySql.

For more on the RootsMagic database structure and SQLite3, visit the link in my signature.
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2686 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#4 BESLO

BESLO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

For more on the RootsMagic database structure and SQLite3, visit the link in my signature.

TomH

I checked out the information in the links you provided and I still have one question:
Although there is a report on what each RM6 table contains, I am missing information on the relations between the tables (or am i missing something).

If I am to copy or link the RM6 data into my MySQL database I need to know the relation between the tables so I can adjust my current MySQL queries in php.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3983 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

This discussion is best continued on the wiki. While there are no relationship diagrams, the column names provide a basic clue to potential relationships and the data defs spreadsheets do describe where columns such as OwnerID mean different things in different tables depending on OwnerType. You can examine the many SQL queries to see what tables are JOINed for different purposes.
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.