• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

When I have a parent selected, I want to be able to change the selected child by simplying right-clicking on the parent, and chosing the displayed child from a drop-down menu. (Likewise selected the parent's sibling, or other spouses). At the moment, I have to:
  • Move over to the family tab (if it is not selected)
  • Move down to Spouses and Children, and select my father's brother
  • Move up to the Go button. But now I lose my grandson, so I have to
  • Click the red arrow to the left of my father's brother.

Alternatively in the Pedigree view, I'd like to see "Hover icons" next to each name that shows pop-ups when I move the cursor over them, for:
  • Selecting Spouse and children
  • Selecting Parents and siblings
  • Showing the Person details

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

When I have a parent selected, I want to be able to change the selected child by simplying right-clicking on the parent, and chosing the displayed child from a drop-down menu. (Likewise selected the parent's sibling, or other spouses). At the moment, I have to:

• Move over to the family tab (if it is not selected)
  • Move down to Spouses and Children, and select my father's brother
  • Move up to the Go button. But now I lose my grandson, so I have to
  • Click the red arrow to the left of my father's brother.
Alternatively in the Pedigree view, I'd like to see "Hover icons" next to each name that shows pop-ups when I move the cursor over them, for:
  • Selecting Spouse and children
  • Selecting Parents and siblings
  • Showing the Person details

Have you tried the Family Sidebar?

The Family Sidebar is not to be confused with the Family View, which is what I think you were talking about above. However, you also mentioned the Go button which is part of the Family Sidebar rather than part of the Family View.

This is one of those cases where I wish it were easier to post a screen shot. I think I have posted screenshots since the new Forum software was implemented, but lately I have not been able to get images to post.

Jerry

#3 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yes, I've used the family side bar, but find it inefficient, To change a parent's child in the pedigree view, (1) I have to move away from the parent to select the Family tab (2) Go down to the required child (3) Go back up to Go. I'm coving a lot of screen real estate, and make numerous clicks.

It just seems better to me that if I have a parent highlighted, that I should be able to make the selection there, rather than move around the screen and take my eye off the highlighted parent. Right-clicking the parent to bring up a pop-up menu seems logical, or even better, hovering the cursor over a hotspot would not even require a mouse click,

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3372 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

This thread is titled Better Navigation and I do find Rootsmagic lacking in this respect in a number of areas where multiple selections are required and much less would suffice.

Resisting the temptation to stray and enlarge on this particular wish there are a number of areas in Rootsmagic where right click functionality could be put to much better use so add my vote.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just something to consider, on my Acer tablet running Window 7 Pro there is no way to right click and bring up a menu. There is no left and right click buttons on the tablet itself.

I have to put the tablet on it's keyboard or use a mouse or touch pad plugged into the tablet or use a blue tooth connected keyboard with a manual right click button.

I can access any thing in the person, right click menu somewhere else in the program, but it is a little irritating when I want to customize the Toolbar. :)

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I was going to say that we are not likely going to see much increase in right-click functionality given the growth in touch interface devices, even for Windows. Why would an application developer put effort into a user interface design that would be inaccessible to a growing proportion of the target market?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I learn something new or discover something I had forgotten about RM every day.

I just discovered that touching the down arrow at the right of the Toolbar after the last icon will give me Add or remove buttons. Touching that opens the Toolbar customize screen menu.

I should have checked Help. The directions are under Customizing the Toolbar, To reset the Toolbar.

I do agree with Tom on right click development.

My tablet has become my main computer, and my laptop is my backup and is seldom booted up.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

I once asked the RootsMagician about adding something to right click and he told me he is really hesitant about adding any more right click features. He doesn't want the option to become to cluttered.

With the issue of tablet's and touch screens we are more unlikely to see anything added in this area of RootsMagic.

Another suggestion I have for Ian is to try using the Descendant view to move around on family lines. I find I work more and more in the Descendant view all the time. It doesn't seem natural at first to work from it but it really is a great way to understand the family relationships and add and edit people.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3372 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

I once asked the RootsMagician about adding something to right click and he told me he is really hesitant about adding any more right click features. He doesn't want the option to become to cluttered.

With the issue of tablet's and touch screens we are more unlikely to see anything added in this area of RootsMagic.

This is an interesting perspective and I agree with both Tom and Renee and find it interesting tha Lauras tablet has become her main computer, this is a real life perspective. In my line of work it appears that the bonanza of tablets sold last year have left many users disappointed by the lack of capabilities and left them yearning for a fully functional laptop again.

Apple and Android tablets are fine for a pocket reference but the apps are limited and I would hate to see future software development coming down to this limited level, like can anyone imagine using Photoshop on a tablet?. It will be a sad day for software development and an easy option for software providers if tablets drive that market, as stated right click functionality would go and this is an important option.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

My tablet is a fully functional computer. It is an Acer Iconia W500 P running Windows 7 Pro which is the same Windows on my lap top. It has only 32G storage on the drive, but I installed a high speed 64Gb SD. It runs any program my laptop will run including RootsMagic.

It's speed is slower than the laptop, but not enough to bother me. I would not run a RM report in everyone in my database, but I don't do that on my laptop either.

I could run Photoshop on it if I wanted as it has a HDMI port, and I can link it to my TV or monitor for a large picture.

The tablet is lighter and less bulky to handle and easier to travel with. I will not replace the laptop with another laptop when it fails.

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3372 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I am trying to reconcile in my head what will be a logical progression of the program will be in the future bearing in mind right clicking would seem to be on the wane rather than increase.

This would suggest bringing more options to the top level and Renee seems to have stated that the Rootsmagician does not like clutter. Combining those two facts can only mean many options becoming deeper within the program requiring more drilling down and becoming less obvious to users. :wacko:

Root

#12 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

I would only partly agree with Laura that her Acer Tablet is a fully functioning computer. When it has a keyboard and mouse attached it is a fully functioning computer. When they are not attached, it is not. I find genealogy software is a data intensive application; whether it is typing in information, correcting information or typing/selecting info in the custom reporting functions. Consequently I find it hard to believe that any such application would be designed to be primarily used on a Tablet (without keyboard and mouse) or an iPad type device. So from my point of view the right-click exists and the "hover" exists and they should be used more, not less, to give us greater insight into the data and improved navigation. The fact that features might not work on a Tablet would be just one of the compromises a Tablet user has (like slower typing through not having a proper keyboard); it should not be the justification for crippling functionality through working to the lowest common denominator. I am a big iPad user but not for one moment would I want the main Rootsmagic application to be reduced to "iPad compatibility" - for the real work I use a PC, with mouse, with keyboard. MVS.

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

I would only partly agree with Laura that her Acer Tablet is a fully functioning computer. When it has a keyboard and mouse attached it is a fully functioning computer. When they are not attached, it is not. I find genealogy software is a data intensive application; whether it is typing in information, correcting information or typing/selecting info in the custom reporting functions. Consequently I find it hard to believe that any such application would be designed to be primarily used on a Tablet (without keyboard and mouse) or an iPad type device. So from my point of view the right-click exists and the "hover" exists and they should be used more, not less, to give us greater insight into the data and improved navigation. The fact that features might not work on a Tablet would be just one of the compromises a Tablet user has (like slower typing through not having a proper keyboard); it should not be the justification for crippling functionality through working to the lowest common denominator. I am a big iPad user but not for one moment would I want the main Rootsmagic application to be reduced to "iPad compatibility" - for the real work I use a PC, with mouse, with keyboard. MVS.

When I quote another message, I usually try to omit the parts of the message that aren't salient to my response. But MVS's message is so well done that I can't find anything in it that I don't want to quote.

Even going back to the "good old days" of laptops, laptops are designed to be used without a mouse. They have a touchpad or similar pointing device instead. But I find a real mouse to be so critical to any intensive data entry application that I always use a real mouse with a laptop. You can get a decent mouse for a laptop for about $10.00 these days.

I know that Macs are extremely popular, but they come with a mouse that doesn't have right click and left click capability. I've always been incredulous that Apple doesn't consider that capability to be important, especially since if you plug a mouse with right click and left click into a Mac, the Mac supports right click and left click just fine. And again, you can get a decent mouse with right click and left click capability that will work on a Mac for about $10.00 these days.

I love my iPhone and my iPad, but they are simply not acceptable for extended use with data intensive applications. For such applications, a real keyboard and a real mouse will always be essential in my opinion. Software developers will ignore this truth at their own peril.

Jerry

P.S. I know people who use a real keyboard and mouse with their iPad - BlueTooth I think, but I'm not sure.

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3372 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I love my iPhone and my iPad, but they are simply not acceptable for extended use with data intensive applications. For such applications, a real keyboard and a real mouse will always be essential in my opinion. Software developers will ignore this truth at their own peril.

I want to agree with both MVS and Jerry and say that in my opinion any dumming down of Rootsmagic to App status will leave Rootsmagic commanding an App price, 99cents.

I will always have a full blown computer (with a mouse) regardless of what I carry in my pocket or on that weekend away.

Root

#15 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

I use the full version of RM and other window programs on my tablet. They are the same programs as I use on my lap top. The tablet runs a full version of Windows 7 Pro. It is not a Smartphone, Kindle Fire or iPad that has to have special apps.

I can use my husband's bluetooth mouse on it if I choose.

My tablet is not the state of the art. The new Windows 8 Pro tablets are faster and have bigger drives and use Intel instead of Arm.

Actually, Bruce could possibly add a down arrow to open right click menus as he has for the customize screen menu.

That would solve the problem for touch and right click.

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

That the 40 yr old mouse invention reached the pinnacle of its exploitation a couple of decades later does not imply that it still is or will always remain the best user interface available for applications involving much text and data entry. And touchscreen UI is evolving. I imagine a right-click equivalent might be touch a hot spot and flick left to pop out the menu. I don't know if that has been implemented by any touch OS and maybe there is good reason if it hasn't. But let's be open minded about the possibility for a viable successor to mouse technology.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

1. Right-clicking is only one way of making a selection. An alternative is to just move the cursor over a "hot-spot" which brings up a pop-up (or drop-down) menu.

2. In pedigree view, it makes sense to show the hotspot with an unobtrusive symbol somewhere around a person's name box. It's location could be configurable, or even disabled. There could be one hotspot for siblings, and one for children. Perahaps the hotspot shows the number of siblings/children.

3. Personally I'd like to see the popup show siblings, children (and their spouses), together with birth and death dates. All this could be configurable.

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

1. Right-clicking is only one way of making a selection. An alternative is to just move the cursor over a "hot-spot" which brings up a pop-up (or drop-down) menu.

2. In pedigree view, it makes sense to show the hotspot with an unobtrusive symbol somewhere around a person's name box. It's location could be configurable, or even disabled. There could be one hotspot for siblings, and one for children. Perahaps the hotspot shows the number of siblings/children.

3. Personally I'd like to see the popup show siblings, children (and their spouses), together with birth and death dates. All this could be configurable.

Just my personal opinion but the Pedigree view could get rather cluttered when you have a symbol for NFS and LDS ordinances if they are turned on. Another symbol would take up to much real estate. You can already see the family for an individual if you look in the sidebar and info area above that. Maybe instead of clicking to display the info they could be made to hover over to display the info, like the Edit Person screen does when hovering over check mark fields.
Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just my personal opinion but the Pedigree view could get rather cluttered when you have a symbol for NFS and LDS ordinances if they are turned on. Another symbol would take up to much real estate.

True, but it could be a configurable option. Or the symbol could appear when your cursor moves near such as hotspot.

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic