• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Christine Frawley Hill

Christine Frawley Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

I love the web tags feature. If I export my file to a gedcom, is there any way to maintain those links in the gedcom?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

There's nothing in RM6 Help that speaks to this issue. I've started appling Web Tags on the Edit Place screen in the Places List. There's no context-sensitive Help available there, either.

I wonder if anyone has done any testing?

#3 Christine Frawley Hill

Christine Frawley Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

When uploaded to AC they totally disappear. That's what I expected but I was hoping it wouldn't happen. I doubt there is anything RM can do about that, I would guess it would have to be an Ancestry.com adjustment. I was hoping web-tags could somehow be read as an additional note.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Would it be a desirable enhancement to have an export option to append WebTags to the related note?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Christine Frawley Hill

Christine Frawley Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think that would work :-)

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I developed a SQLite procedure that accomplishes the above wish, described at WebTags - convert to Notes et al. It's an interim workaround that will be, hopefully, rendered no longer required in the not-too-distant future because RM has fulfilled the wish.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8239 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Would it be a desirable enhancement to have an export option to append WebTags to the related note?

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Nice idea, good one.

And for information webtags are preserved in gedcom export, see below

0 @I14@ INDI
1 NAME John /Morrison/
1 _WEBTAG
2 NAME Dummy entry
2 URL www.johnmorrison.com
2 NOTE dummy entry for gedcom test
0 _PLAC Belfast, Antrim
1 _WEBTAG
2 NAME Wiki on Belfast
2 URL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast
2 NOTE example Place webtag

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

And for information webtags are preserved in gedcom export...

but are not recognized by other software because they are, necessarily, within custom GEDCOM tags.

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

I love the web tags feature. If I export my file to a gedcom, is there any way to maintain those links in the gedcom?

but are not recognized by other software because they are, necessarily, within custom GEDCOM tags.

....just attempting to answer the original question.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#11 Christine Frawley Hill

Christine Frawley Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the answers and advice. I'm going to download the suggested tool now. :-)

#12 rjchudek

rjchudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

I am a more casual RM6 user, but computer savvy. The new WebTags feature is nice, although it's implementation is not as streamlined as I "think" it should be. In previous RM versions I have captured URLs for sources and pasted this into the Notes of each fact type. My idea of an improved UI would be to add another column next the the "Notes" on the "Edit Person" window. This could pop up a window to paste the URL into, without having to name it explicity. Then a green "check mark" would appear in the WebTag column like it does for the others "tags" on each fact. The URL would carry through the system just like the Notes do now.

I might be niave in the limitations / complications this might introduce.

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Currently, RM supports webtags for Persons, Sources, Citations, Places and Research Log items - notably not for Events, which is where I think you are wanting to see them. I suppose that would be convenient although it seemingly puts some distance between the Citation or Source which logically has/provided the URL and the indicator/access control. However, because of that distance from the Edit Person screen to a Source or Citation webtag, I have been putting them in both the Source or Citation AND against the Person where they are but one click away. See WebTags - Consolidate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web tags