• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BeattyLady

BeattyLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Is it possible to use two versions, for different databases, on the same PC? I have RM 5 installed. I am working on a friend's family, and he has the free version of 6, so I wanted to use the free version to get him started. I can email him the database I create, and we can work together over the phone. I want to see exactly what he sees on screen, so I can walk him through using the free program before he commits to buying it. I won't know which menu items are greyed out in his version if I use my version. It will be hard enough giving a database base lesson by phone to someone who has very little PC experience!
Linda

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3277 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

It should work fine. I have RM 3, 4, 5 and 6 on my computer with each version's databases in separate folders. I also put the version number, V3, V4, V5, V6, in the database file names.

Download RM Essentials and install. When you install, be careful. You want to tell it not to install over RM 5 if Essentials asks. If you make a mistake, download RM5 from the RM website and enter your RM5 registration key.

You also want to create a copy of your RM5 database and save it into a different folder with a new name. Use the copy to import into RM6 Essentials. RM6 converts the RM 5 database to an RM 6 database. You cannot change the database file back to a RM5 file.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 BeattyLady

BeattyLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Laura,
Thank you very much! Your explanation of how to do it is clear and understandable--I think you covered everything. You are great help.
Linda