• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Is there an easier way navigate a Pedigree tree? I'm showing the following with the paternal grandfather hightlighted:

**Grandfather**
		 Father
					 Grandmother
Grandson
					 Grandfather
		 Mother
					 Grandmother

Now, I want to change the display to show the father's brother, and his children. But I have to move the mouse to four(!) other areas of the screen:
  • Move over to the family tab (if it is not selected)
  • Move down to Spouses and Children, and select my father's brother
  • Move up to the Go button. But now I lose my grandson, so I have to
  • Click the red arrow to the left of my father's brother.
It would be much better if I could keep the cursor on the paternal grandfather, right-click, and choose the father's brother from the pop-up menu. And likewise other family members.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Highlight the Grandfather on the Pedigree view.

Change to the Family view and highlight the father's brother and click on the arrow to the left of his name.. Or, change to the Descendants view. You might need to adjust the slider for how many generations you want to show..

Change back to the Pedigree view.

The focus person is the father's brother.

OR:
Highlight the Grandfather

Click on the arrow in the upper left of the main screen to the left of Spouse. Select Children of correct spouse. Select the father's brother.

If you are going to be going back and forth between the same people, you can bookmark key people in the family.

Or, you might want to create a group for the people you are working on.

The Sidebar family list is the same list RM3 and earlier RM and FO versions had, highlight a person, right click, click on View family. The parents and siblings are first then spouses and children in RM3.

I never used the right click menu to select family members. It was much quicker to toggle between the Pedigree, Family, or Descendants view.

About the only times I use the Pedigree view is to move quickly to Grandparents and earlier ancestors.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

My solution to this kind of problem is to use the Family sidebar about 95% the time. A lot of short range navigation of the type you are describing can be accomplished from the Family sidebar, irrespective which view is in the main window.

Jerry

#4 Ian Tresman

Ian Tresman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I still feel that there is a lot of uncessary switching between pages, or clicking different parts of screen.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

The Pedigree view is the least efficient screen to be on when changing to another family member unless that family member is a direct ancestor.

When working with multiple generations of a family, the Descendants view is probably the most efficient as we can move the slider for how many generations we want to see for 7 generations.

Of course, you can always put the Sidebar on Index and type in the surname, given name of the person you want to go to if you know the name.