• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JeffC

JeffC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I am glad that you are working on an android app for rootsmagic. I have been using the PC version for years and an app for my android phone would be very useful. If you are looking for beta testers I would be glad to help.

Jeff Crompton

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Please send an email to support@rootsmagic.com to be put on a list of potential Android app beta testers.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

In other words: Send an app to app to be a beta tester for the app.

Are people are getting too lazy to use a whole word for anything anymore? :(
Alfred

#4 Sonapm

Sonapm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Alfred, I'm afraid you and I are from the old school (the 20th Century). Theez days, ur lucky if u gt pt of a wrd. OTOH u gt xtra ltrs whn there not neededddd. punctuation and spelling? theirs nothingggg sacred.

Sorry; I can't do that any more. Anyway, occasional periods and correct grammar are only fond memories, and phones are no longer for talking: hardly anyone under 30 will answer a voice call. Their preference is texting.

Actually, I found this discussion because I was looking for some indication that an android version of RootsMagic was in the works. Therefore, I'm with JeffC in his wish for such an app, even if it is only a mobile version of RM to Go, I recently upgraded from a dumb phone to a Samsung Galaxy S3, which does almost as much as my 3-year-old Sony VAIO, although neither one cooks or does the dishes. B)

However, I'm not sure I want to be a beta tester. Any idea as to a time frame for completion of the app?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

We are thinking the Android app will be completed late summer.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Kyle

Kyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

An android app would be a nice compliement to the desktop version.

Will the first iteration be like the iOS versions in that it will be a reader only?

In theory "late summer" has already passed and it's not yet listed in the products page. Nor is it in the Android Pay Store. Per Renee's earlier suggesiton my email to be part of the beta is in the works.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Beta testing has begun on the Android App. You must have missed the notice. You need to visit a link to sign up, and get the instructions to install the app. The Android app should be just like the iOS version. They are read-only.

To apply as a beta tester, click the following link and sign up - http://eepurl.com/GrI6j
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Phil Irons

Phil Irons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

I just sent the following message to Renee via e-mail, but I thought that it might be of interest to other readers of this board:

"I have downloaded and installed the beta app, and it looks a lot better than the first version I tried. However, I find that when I try to select a person from the index at the left of the screen, nothing happens. Also, I find that the arrows to change generation up or down do not seem to be as sensitive as perhaps they should be.

Next, I note that both this version and the iOS version are intended to be Read Only. As I have Dropbox set up on my tablet, any changes I make to the database will be updated on my desktop as soon as I connect to a wi-fi hotspot. Therefore, I'm wondering if a read/write version for the Android is contemplated. Please note that this is NOT a demand for such a version, I'm just curious as to RM's future plans for this platform.

Finally, having just come from the iOS page, I'm wondering if there is a usergroup for us Android users, or if one is contemplated for the near future.

Thanks for a neat new tool."

Regards,

Phil Irons,
Sydney, NS

Grey hair is a crown of Glory; it is attained by a righteous life

Proverbs 16:31

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

After the official release of the RM Android App version we will create a RM Forum for just those users. Right now since it's not a public release we don't want discussions on the beta testing process confusing people. So we prefer that it's not put in the forums now.

The app is read-only. At some point we will make it editable but it's further down the development path.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2336 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Next, I note that both this version and the iOS version are intended to be Read Only. .......... I'm just curious as to RM's future plans for this platform.

I may be speaking slightly out of turn bearing in mind Renees comments but bearing mind that the app(s) is currently free then how would Rootsmagic as a company ever generate income?

IMO, income would need to be generated through the purchase of the Rootsmagic product and the add ons like the Ios and Android apps would compliment that product and and provide another reason to purchase.

Businesses do not run on good will.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#11 Chaney Overholts

Chaney Overholts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

The Beta v.1.01 still has the name of the person and birthdate as being too close together. The birth date is almost superimposed over the persons name with the bottom portion of the words cut off. Will this be addressed?

Thanks.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

The Beta v.1.01 still has the name of the person and birthdate as being too close together. The birth date is almost superimposed over the persons name with the bottom portion of the words cut off. Will this be addressed?

Thanks.

Please make sure you are sending your beta testing findings to the proper place. Send an email to renee@rootsmagic.com
Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Phil Irons

Phil Irons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

I may be speaking slightly out of turn bearing in mind Renees comments but bearing mind that the app(s) is currently free then how would Rootsmagic as a company ever generate income?

IMO, income would need to be generated through the purchase of the Rootsmagic product and the add ons like the Ios and Android apps would compliment that product and and provide another reason to purchase.

Businesses do not run on good will.

First of all, let me say that I DID purchase my version of RM6. I was merely asking about future plans for the Android App. If it becomes necessary to purchase an upgrade from the current version to an all-inclusive version, I'll be in the queue, plastic in hand.

As a beta tester, I am happy to provide the parent company with information concerning things I like and don't like about the current beta version. I assume that comments about valid problems are, and will continue to be addressed by the developer(s).

Regards,

Phil

Grey hair is a crown of Glory; it is attained by a righteous life

Proverbs 16:31

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2336 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

First of all, let me say that I DID purchase my version of RM6.

Good job Phil, you noted that the apps were Read Only and I was merely trying to point out that if they were fully functional FREE apps then the Rootsmagic product would become a lot less appealing, if you thought I was suggesting otherwise then it was my failure to communicate clearly.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research