73 replies to this topic

#61 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

Yes, I saw it. It's quite excellent (and timely!). I wonder if it's in resonse to this thread, or if it was already in the works.

I there such a thing as original thinking or is everything just an evolution of previous life experiences ;)

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#62 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

It was inspired by this thread.

Here's a copy of the article for others to reference.

Tip of the Month - Handling Incomplete Places

Have you ever entered an event in RootsMagic where you didn't know the place, but didn't want to just leave it blank? Maybe you only know the place detail (like the name of a cemetery), but don't know the location of that cemetery.

Try adding a place to your database called "a place unknown" or "in an unknown place", and you can then use the event description and/or place details to make sentences read well without customizing.

For example, say you have a document stating that an ancestor died in 1864 during the Civil War, and was buried in "Green Cemetery". You could then use "a place unknown" along with the description field and place detail as below when entering the death and burial facts.

Event: Death
Date: 1864
Place: an unknown place
Description: during the Civil War

Event: Burial
Date: 1864
Place: an unknown place
Place Detail: Green Cemetery

The default sentences then read "Tom Green died during the Civil War in 1864 in an unknown place. He was buried in 1864 in Green Cemetery in an unknown place."

You can use a phrase like this any time you are missing the place for an event, or you can use it more judiciously in events where you want to make it clear you don't actually know the place yet (like in the burial example above).

Renee
RootsMagic

#63 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

I don't know anybody personally, but I have several men named Doctor in my database (and yes they were named Doctor - it wasn't some kind of honorific). And I know of at least two American football players who have been named Major.

As a good test of this idea, check any kind of birth record database at ancestry.com. At birth, nobody would be a medical doctor or a Ph.D. doctor yet, and nobody would be a major in the military yet. So Doctor or Major would really be the baby's first name.

Jerry

I too have at least two people whose name was 'Doctor' - familiarily called Doc by family - and they weren't doctors. Also have a lady in my database whose name was Queen Victoria (guess who she was named for). Have a few King's also. There are also numerous people who have state names: Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia, Florida etc. Names can be anything!

#64 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

The Dataclean beta seems to have disappeared from the latest release of RM (6.3.3.2). This might be intentional in preparation for promoting DataClean from beta to production status, or it might be some kind of oversight. I don't know.

Of a little more concern, the ability to configure the RM Tool Bar seems to be broken. When I realized that the Dataclean beta had disappeared from my toolbar, I tried to configure the toolbar to add the Dataclean beta icon back in. But the ability to configure the RM Tool Bar seems to be completely disabled, unless maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Jerry

#65 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

I am not having any trouble modifing the Toolbar using my touchpad.

I am not being able to modify it using touch, but, that could be my fault.

#66 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

There is hidden inside of RootsMagic 6 a utility that never came out of the beta stage. This feature is called DataClean. Currently there are two sections: NameClean and PlaceClean. It is not ready for prime time. But, some users have found it and are using it. The only way it can be accessed is by customizing the toolbar and adding the DataClean icon to it.

If you want to use it go ahead, but be patient with it, like we said it's not ready for prime time.

So we are not inundated with support tickets on features that need tweeking or enhancements that need to be made, we ask that you post your comments on this thread. I will monitor the discussions and made sure they are reported back to development.

Listed below are a couple of threads that discuss some issues found with DataClean. You may want to check these threads before commenting on something already reported.

Some Feedback on the DataClean Beta
http://forums.rootsm...dataclean-beta/

Data Clean-up
http://forums.rootsm...-data-clean-up/

Renee is this Data Clean in our program as I cannot find it when I go to custimize tool bars ??

What are the steps to take ??

#67 fredandrana

fredandrana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

I cannot find it anymore either.  It happens to be one of my favorite features too.  I am still hoping for a "date clean" ...  but I am patient.

#68 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

Yikes !! I agree - DataClean was a very useful set of procedures. I hope it will return soon !!

#69 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Confirming DataClean was removed in the last update (6.3.3.2). It was in beta and never a full feature. Development is working on it and it will be returned at a later time. I have a flash drive with an earlier version of RootsMagic To-Go on it that I use for DataClean now. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#70 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

Even for it's limited uses in Beta I am glad now I didn't jump at the last update, maybe others, like Renee, might have a previous version on a jump drive.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#71 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hopefully I will find it in a feature coming soon and won't be part of the next purchase upgrade

#72 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hopefully I will find it in a feature coming soon and won't be part of the next purchase upgrade

I fully expect that we will not see it again until it is released as a new feature in a future upgrade. It was there in beta mode by accident, iirc.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#73 Christine Frawley Hill

Christine Frawley Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

I am so disappointed.  Loved this tool.  Now I need to revert back to an older version so I can find it?  It was beta but it was still a great tool.

#74 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

Of a little more concern, the ability to configure the RM Tool Bar seems to be broken.

Jerry

I had meant to report much earlier that this problem is solved. It was a user error - the user being me!

Jerry