• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tzinger

tzinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

What am I missing. Between the instructions on the RM website and those contained in the app, I still can't get into my computer. No screen, no step, shows or says what either instruction says.
Yes, I'm using the iTunes via the USB port. The pop up on my desktop does not show or ask what is expected, nor can I find out what is wrong. I am not super computer savvy, so please be kind, but please help.

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

What am I missing. Between the instructions on the RM website and those contained in the app, I still can't get into my computer. No screen, no step, shows or says what either instruction says.
Yes, I'm using the iTunes via the USB port. The pop up on my desktop does not show or ask what is expected, nor can I find out what is wrong. I am not super computer savvy, so please be kind, but please help.

It is not exactly clear from your append exactly where you are up to. However, ....

Have you downloaded the App from the Appstore/iTunes store ? You can do this directly from the iPad by using the App Store app or from iTunes by going to the iTunes Store (button towards the top right of the main iTunes window).

Then, when you connect the iPad to your PC/Mac via USB, you should see an iPad button next to the iTunes Store button. If you select this and then the Apps button, you will see that RootsMagic is one of the installed apps (if you downloaded it directly to the iPad, or you can install it (if you downloaded direct to iTunes) by selecting the Install option alongside the RootsMagic app.

Then, if you go further down the Apps window, you will come to the File Sharing section. In there will be RootsMagic. If you select that, you can then use the Add button to find the appropriate RootsMagic file and add it to iTunes. iTunes will then transfer it to the iPad - if not, use the Sync button to initiate the transfer. (There are other ways of getting the file into iTunes using drag and drop of the file, but this is the long-winded way of doing it.)

Does this help? If not, let us know precisely where you are up to. Where are things going wrong?

#3 tzinger

tzinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, BUT - The backup files are saved as rmgb - when I downloaded it to the iPad, then tried to open, I got an error message that the app only handles rmgc. Now what?

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3380 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

The rmgc file is your database file. That is the file the app uses not a backup file.

If you need to know where your database is stored on the hard drive, open RM with that database and look at the top right where the database path and name is shown.

Watching Webinar 42 may be helpful.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#5 Steck

Steck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm also having problems transferring my RM files to the app. When I look at my RM files under My Documents, all I have are ones that are called "RootsMagic File" and "RMGB File." I don't have anything with a .rmgc ending. I've tried transferring both types of files to the app, and neither of them work. The app tells me I don't have any files. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

#6 Dale DePriest

Dale DePriest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Are you seeing any file extensions. It is likely you have file extensions turned off in your settings. In rootsmagic you should be able to see the path to the file itself in the banner of the program. This is the file you want to transfer. Selecting properfiles from the file menu will also list the location of the file. It is the one called RootsMagic file, the other one is your backup. How are you attempting to transfer them to the app? If you are using dropbox then the file must go into the \Apps\RootsMagic folder. It will not work anywhere else.

Dale

#7 Steck

Steck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thanks. I was using iTunes, and I finally got it to work. It just took a long time for the files to show up in the app.