Photo

Publish Online, no longer possible to update an old web site?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

For years I have maintained a Web site generated by RootsMagic and hosted by RootsWeb. I update it periodically by generating and uploading a replacement. In numb-brain mode, I installed RootsMagic 6, liked it, and uninstalled Version 5, not realizing the change that Publish Online represented for web-site generation.

For now, I would like to maintain my old site and keep making changes to it as new information comes in. It appears that I can't do this with Version 6.

Would I have to find and install Version 5 for that purpose? Is it even possible to obtain Version 5 at this point?

Other than this, I love Version 6, especially the "Find Everywhere" feature.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Use the Create HTML files to create files to upload to the old site.
That is just about the same as it was in version 5, although, I think I understood Renee to write that this feature may be fazed out in the future.
Alfred

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

You can use the files created by Publish Online. Just stop at the Preview-or-Publish window at the end of the routine, then find the set of folders/files using Windows Explorer, and upload at your discretion.

#4 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Of the two alternatives, I think Alfred's suggestion, to use "Create HTML files," is what I need because I want to keep the same format and design of my existing site for now. Thanks to you both.