• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Finnigan

David Finnigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I have been experiencing this problem since CountyCheck started in RM 5. I am currently using the latest version 6.0.0.4. The problem ONLY occurs with places in Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom - not any other counties in England.

Whenever I create or edit a fact with a place in Gloucestershire (regardless of date) - such as Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom in 1930 - the CountyCheck dialog box is displayed. It does NOT have Problems & Suggestions options, just a Change To option with 3 possibilities: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom OR Bristol, Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom OR Bristol, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom. Note - the first Change To option is the same as the place being checked.

Running a CountyCheck report with Errors ticked shows nothing, ie there are no problems. If I run the report with Matches ticked, I get the same 3 matches (as occur in the CountyCheck dialog) shown for each place in Gloucestershire.

I initially thought this was possibly database related so I created a new test database with just a single person and some facts in Gloucestershire. The same problem is still experienced.

I have watched Bruce's webinar on CountyCheck from April last year and this didn't seem to shed any light on the cause of my problem - unless I'm missing something.

As a lot of my ancestors come from Gloucestershire, the CountyCheck dialog is annoyingly frequently popping up. Without disabling this feature, which I otherwise like, how can I fix this problem? Or is this not a problem and it's working the way it is supposed to work - which I don't understand? Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers

David

#2 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

I've turned off County Check. I am careful to enter city, county, state info accurately and don't feel a need for the software to check my work.
Jack

a posteriori

#3 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

I have just checked my Gloucestershire entries, and changed one to Bristol. The only option from the UK offered was Bristol, Gloucestershire. Then I changed it back to Mangotsfield and it came up straightaway with Gloucestershire. Finally I tried putting in Mangotsfield with Glos. ( an abbreviated form not used as much nowadays) and that worked too.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Interesting, I believe CountyChecker could be made to work to the satisfaction of users but it needs a rethink and maybe a few custom user inputs.

For such a good feature I am continually disappointed to see CountyChecker receive bad feedback do to lack of completeness.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Just a thought - I have upgraded successively from the first RM up to the present. Certainly I didn't bother to download the place name part each time when I upgraded, and definitely not to RM6. So perhaps the problems are due to a more recent database?

#6 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I just now encountered this problem with Miami, FL. When I edit the place (Geocode), RM6 gives me Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida, United States. But when I go to save my 1971 event, CountyCheck wants to change it back to Miami, Dade, Florida, United States. Which one is correct - which should I trust/use?

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I just now encountered this problem with Miami, FL. When I edit the place (Geocode), RM6 gives me Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida, United States. But when I go to save my 1971 event, CountyCheck wants to change it back to Miami, Dade, Florida, United States. Which one is correct - which should I trust/use?

CountyCheck apparently has it right:
According to Wikipedia, "On November 13, 1997, voters changed the name of the county from Dade to Miami-Dade" http://en.wikipedia....ida#Name_change

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

CountyCheck apparently has it right:
According to Wikipedia, "On November 13, 1997, voters changed the name of the county from Dade to Miami-Dade" http://en.wikipedia....ida#Name_change

County Check looks for the County name at the time of the event, which was 1971, before the 1997 change. So County Check has it right for the time of the event while Gazetteer has it right for the current name. If you keep the current name as the Standardized Name and the historical name as the Name, then you have it both ways.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks Tom. Although I find CountyCheck annoying, it is by far my favorite feature of RM6. I really didn't want to disable it to fix this non-problem. Good answer, too. I suppose I could have looked this one up as KBens0n did (thanks, too, btw). Thanks to both of you for your quick response.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Whenever I create or edit a fact with a place in Gloucestershire (regardless of date) - such as Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom in 1930 - the CountyCheck dialog box is displayed. It does NOT have Problems & Suggestions options, just a Change To option with 3 possibilities: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom OR Bristol, Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom OR Bristol, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom. Note - the first Change To option is the same as the place being checked.

Confirming issue is noted in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 David Finnigan

David Finnigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hi Renee,

This problem is still occurring in v7.2.2.0. Has there been any progress in resolving this issue? Am I the only one person experiencing this problem with Gloucestershire?

Would you like a copy of my database to investigate?

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

Development's focus has been on more pressing matters right now. I have no time frame when this will be addressed.

Renee
RootsMagic