• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Norm_Jones

Norm_Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

I've been told by FamilySearch Support recently that RootsMagic 6 is not compatible with new.FamilySearch nor with Family Tree. I've been using it quite successfully for weeks with both of these. Does anyone know what the real status is please?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

As far as I know, RM6 is still compatible with nFS. Once ongoing work has been completed on the RM side, compatibility with FT will be made available, and compatibility with nFS would cease.

An update to RM6 with that functionality would be expected to be released. (Versions prior to RM6, of course, wouldn't be made compatible with FT.)

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3675 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Romer is correct. RootsMagic currently syncs with New FamilySearch. Data that you add to NFS is being migrating to Family Tree. When FamilySearch completes the API for Family Tree we will then release a feature to sync with it. The support of NFS will be removed at the same time. The changes will be made in a future update to RootsMagic 6. No changes will be made to previous versions of RM.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Norm_Jones

Norm_Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Thanks very much for the replies. The FamilySearch support operator was quite insistent that I cease using RM6 immediately and switch to Family Tree. I tried to point out that RM6 was working quite nicely, but they wouldn't have it. Just an isolated operator, I guess, but it sends a confusing message.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3675 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

RootsMagic has contacted FamilySearch about this issue.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

The FamilySearch support operator was quite insistent that I cease using RM6 immediately and switch to Family Tree.

Putting aside the fact that RM6 does support New FamilySearch, what does "switch to Family Tree" mean exactly? Does it mean doing everything online at the LDS Web site and not having any PC based software at all? Just curious.

Jerry

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5697 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks very much for the replies. The FamilySearch support operator was quite insistent that I cease using RM6 immediately and switch to Family Tree. I tried to point out that RM6 was working quite nicely, but they wouldn't have it. Just an isolated operator, I guess, but it sends a confusing message.

This sounds like you may have gotten in contact with someone from Ancestry rather than the Family Search.
As I understand it, The NewFamilySearch is by the same people who once had PAF and the Ancestry people have Family Tree Maker.
I once had Family Origins and called to upgrade to a newer version, which at that time Ancestry distributed, the salesman tried to sell me Family Tree Maker, he didn't seem to know they even sold Family Origins also.
Alfred

#8 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Seems quite obvious that they were referring to the replacement for newFamilySearch,, which is called FamilySearch FamilyTree.

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5697 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

WOOPS! It wasn't obvious to me.
Too many names with too many similarities for this old man to keep track of.

I wonder what they will name it next year if they don't get it finished this year.
Alfred

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3675 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Putting aside the fact that RM6 does support New FamilySearch, what does "switch to Family Tree" mean exactly? Does it mean doing everything online at the LDS Web site and not having any PC based software at all? Just curious.

Jerry

FamilySearch has been working on a website to record the human family tree. It is called New FamilySearch and is located at http://new.familysearch.org. It had a very slow release period and has never really come out of the beta stage to the world. There were many issues with it and FamilySearch has decided to scrap it and build a different website call FamilySearch Family Tree.

They are transferring only the summary view items (yellow star in RootsMagic) to the FamilySearch Family Tree. The FamilySearch Family Tree is located on www.familysearch.org .The Family Tree link will appear after you login and only if you have access. Once again it is still in beta.

RootsMagic FamilySearch feature syncs with the NFS website - http://new.familysearch.org . When FamilySearch completes the API for it's replacement FamilySearch Family Tree we will release an update to RootsMagic 6 that will sync with it instead of NFS. The new website FamilySearch Family Tree will be much better. You can add sources, notes, pictures, stories and correct things much easily. During this transition period both FamilySearch websites are very unstable so we will all be glad when the move has been completed.
Renee
RootsMagic