5 replies to this topic

#1 Fred B

Fred B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I successfully installed the WONDERFUL app for my Rootsmagic 6.0.
I took the rmgc file and moved it to the phone and it opened FINE.

Minor issue that I am not sure I know the cause, though. Some of the image thumbnails that show in rootsmagic as default for a person, do not display. The description is there, but not all thumbnails show. I am attaching a printout of the Media view from the app. (Questions below image)

Posted Image

1. Is there a limit to the size, type, etc. of the file that will make a thumbnail in version 6.0?
2. I have some broken image links in my original RM DB. Is there a limit to the # of broken links before the app "gives up" making thumbs??
3. Is this already known and maybe fixed in Version 2.0 of the app?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

If the thumbnail shows in RM6, then it should show in the iOS app when viewing the same database. There are limits to what size and type of media file can be processed into a thumbnail by RM6 but I don't know what they are except broadly: JPG but not all types thereof, gif, tif, png but this seems irrelevant if the thumbnails missing from the iOS app are displaying in RM6. It does suggest the possibility that the iOS uses a different image renderer than does RM6 and that they have different limits. I wouldn't think the iOS app would give up after a certain number of broken links; it might bog down or appear to hang if there are too many media items.

I am just another customer and know nothing about what is being addressed in development of the next release.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

The images had to be added to RootsMagic with the media type image and not files. Then when you open Lists>Media Gallery it will build the thumbnails (as long as option to rebuild is not turned off). It will not rebuild the thumbnails if you have broken media links (red x's). In the media gallery use Tools>Fix broken media links to repair the links.

If you can see the thumbnails inside of RootsMagic's desktop then you will see them on the app.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Fred B

Fred B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thanks very much, to all who have helped. The issue was fixed by Renee's tip of media gallery.

The original file was a GEDCOM import, that contained the path to the images. The thumbnails in the Rootmagic program always showed, but in the app they only showed AFTER I used media.gallery.

#5 Michael Le Stills

Michael Le Stills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi, I have an interesting situation. Only one photo does not load. It shows up as a thumbnail in RM6 and in the preview website but not on the actual site. I am using Chrome on an Macbook Air. Interestingly, the photo shows up when using Safari.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Is this a problem with the iPad app or using Publish Online?

Could you give us the URL for the image that will show in Safari but not using Chrome. If you don't want to post it in the forums then open a support ticket. Include the URL and a copy of the image in question.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: images, thumbnials app version 1.0