Photo

Could CountyCheck have alternate format?

CountyCheck

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

While CountyCheck is a great tool for checking and correcting place entries, I have one problem using it. When I list my grandfather's place of death, I put "Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri", which is how I prefer to see it when I publish a narrative. If I use CountyCheck and accept all its recommendations, it would force that into "Kansas City, Jackson, Missouri, United States". While this is completely accurate and probably a standard for genealogy, it just doesn't look very elegant in a Narrative report; this is not the way anyone actually describes a place name verbally.

Having some family in Louisiana, I rather like saying that someone was born in New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, rather than CountyCheck's standard format.

I would like to have a way in a future release to have alternates to the single format of City/County/State/Country when running CountyCheck. As is, I leave the auto-check off and just run the report to check for errors, rather than have to fight with it on every change/entry.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2360 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I have stated this opinion before and did not generate much discussion or any reasons why it would not solve the current objections to County Checker workings.

When the Gazetteer does its thing it populates the Standardized Place Name leaving the Place and Abbreviated Place Name as they are so not upsetting the user preferred entry nor the Abbreviated Place Name if the user is making use of this for reports.

The Standardized Place Name is the concise entry (like a full postal address) and generally not one users would prefer in reports so my point is why when accepting a County Checker suggestion does it not populate the Standardized Place Name and leave the user entry as is.

Am I missing something here?

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4038 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

When I am using a historical place name I will first add it so it generates the Standardized Place Name and geocoding. Then I will just go up and edit the county to the historical place name. That way I know what it's currently called and what it was historically called for that event. If the CountyCheck used the Standardized place name it would be wrong. So changing it to what you suggests would not work for me.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm not sure what you're describing, Renee. I would like to have something that tells CountyCheck that it's okay to put the word "County" in the county name, and okay to leave the country name off if it's your default (in other words, I'd like it to stop arguing with me each time).

I want the historical name when that applies, but I just don't see any genealogies other than computer-generated reports that list my father's birthplace as "Kansas City, Wyandotte, Kansas, United States"; almost universally, they show "Kansas City, Wyandotte COUNTY, Kansas" (and no country listed). The "Standardized" format don't work for a narrative report.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4038 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I see I wasn't very clear in my earlier response. It was making reference to Vyger's request in using the Standardized Place Name. Patrick your enhancement request is in our tracking system, along with Vygers.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Renee. It would help if I'd looked more carefully to which post you were responding.

#7 Josev

Josev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Is there any way to turn off the County check ?, its not something i actually need, and, whilst it may be helpful in US, its certainly a big disadvantage here in UK.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Go to Tools, Program options and uncheck Use CountyCheck when entering places.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2360 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Is there any way to turn off the County check ?, its not something i actually need, and, whilst it may be helpful in US, its certainly a big disadvantage here in UK.

County Checker does also work on UK Places.

Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#10 Josev

Josev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hi, thanks everyone.....i've managed to turn it off :-D

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2360 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

Hi, thanks everyone.....i've managed to turn it off :-D

Good news, it's only sad that you felt you needed to...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CountyCheck