• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lilfrenchtoast

Lilfrenchtoast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I am having so much trouble setting up my Rootsmagic to my Iphone!!! I have FINALLY figured out how to use drop box to transfer files....when I finally did, Rootsmagic is telling me the . rmbg file is invalid. it needs to be a .rmbc file......how in the world to I make the existing rootsmagic file a rmbc file>>>>>???? Oh My Gosh!!!

Also, am I understanding it correctly that the iphone app Rootsmagic file is a read only file? you can't make changes to it (like you can on Ancestry?)

Thanks

#2 Lilfrenchtoast

Lilfrenchtoast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

sorry, .rmgb file is invalid, it needs to be rmgc.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

RMGC is the data file used by RootsMagic.
RMGB is the backup file used by RootsMagic, it is a compressed form of the RMGC data file.
Alfred

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3438 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

So you must find your database file ending .rmgc and copy it to the Dropbox folder. After DB uploads it, then the iPhone app should be able to download and open it.

Yes, the RM App is read-only. The Ancestry app is quite amazing. Another one that supports editing is GEDview which can import a GEDCOM from RM et al.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3891 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

A RootsMagic 4 or later version will contain only one database file with the extension .RMGC. If you have a RootsMagic 3 or earlier version of the program you will need to download RootsMagic Essentials and File>Import your database file. It will be converted to the new file format. Then copy the newly converted database .rmgc file to your Dropbox App folder for RootsMagic.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Lilfrenchtoast

Lilfrenchtoast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you all VERY much for your help!!!! Wish me luckl...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Files