5 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I have been doing a lot of program feature comparisons so firstly I would like to begin by saying that I find the RM Media Gallery currently one of the best available tools. That being said I have to add that there are many additions to the functionality that could help users manage those ever increasing media libraries. My enhancement ideas are formed from my own working and those things I often wish I could do within RM.

The current search facility is helpful but does depend on a structured file naming format, without the effort in users can hardly expect to get satisfactory results out. Rootsmagic could incorporate further file type categorization like Cemetery, Photo's, Document, Census, Video etc and allow for some user defined categories to provide filtered results, a simple drop down selection list would display any particular category to help selection.

WISH#1 - Search selection drop down for ANY or ALL to allow selection based on multiple non contiguous components. In other words in the case of all show me results for "John" & "Doe" & "Census"

The above on its own would work well for me as many years ago I adopted a structured file naming convention but some users would probably prefer the categorization option.

I have posted this many times before but I collect media, screen snippets, scans etc much faster than I can practically link them to RM, besides collecting data and linking them to RM are essentially two different tasks IMO. What I previously did was save all new items to a "to-be-linked" folder and then work through them at a later date. This then involved a further discipline where I would link an item at a future date and then remove it from the "to-be-linked" folder to the appropriate folder to much work. :(

WISH#2 - Provide "Find Unlinked Media" utility under Tools and use the existing Fix Broken Media Links folder selection criteria. This would compare the RM MediaTable to the file contents of the selected folder or path and display the results (files currently unlinked) in a list view in Media Gallery. The user could simply just select each UNLINKED file in turn, click the TAG MEDIA and select person, fact or place to make the media linkage more complete.

I wrote an Excel workbook to do just this for my own benefit and I believe TomH has posted it for download on his own site. It is a very simple task to accomplish and I do really hope this functionality becomes available within RM in the not too distant future.

The bottom line here is that with ever growing media galleries from online sources the management of media becomes an ever increasing task, we are no longer dealing with a dozen of grannies family photo's here <_< . No user can expect RM to somehow overcome poor folder and file naming disciplines but where these are robust and in place programs like RM need to provide management tools to extract and filter that data and the program that does it best will have an edge.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Remove the Media Type Selection from Add New Media and have Rootsmagic make the decision by file extension.

This is currently an unneccessary and time consuming step.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

Last one for this morning, I promise.

Where a media file link is broken and remains unresolved through the Fix Broken Media Links I would suggest that clicking the Properties button goes directly to Change Media File opening the directory path where the original file existed.

This would allow and aid the user in finding the file if it has been renamed and provide a more intuitive functionality for reconciling broken media links.

Root

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

When changing the name of a media file, I do it from within Media Gallery, Properties, Change Media file, The folder that media file is in opens and I change the name.

I don:t have a broken link due to a name change which can not be found by Fix broken media links.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

When changing the name of a media file, I do it from within Media Gallery, Properties, Change Media file, The folder that media file is in opens and I change the name.

I don:t have a broken link due to a name change which can not be found by Fix broken media links.

Hmmm, you are quite correct so as Rootsmagic does not open the file path stored in Media Gallery where a broken link exists I would consider this a bug.

I would contend that the previously stored media folder would be the first place to look for any file which may have been renamed or is actually missing.

Root

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8207 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic