Photo

Size limitations on My.RootsMagic websites?

My.RootsMagic project size

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmohn

dmohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I use RootsMagic to maintain a very large database (81,000 people, 33,000 families, 150,000 events), representing a REGIONAL collection of Appalachian pioneer settler families (http://wc.rootsweb.a...gm.cgi?db=dmohn), rather than a single family tree. Currently i have the data hosted on RootsWeb but I would love to take advantage of My.RootsMagic for its attractiveness and usability. However, when I attempted to publish the data to My.RootsMagic, I received an error message that the size of the project files was too big.

I have searched and cannot find any help file or forum reference indicating what the limitations are with respect to file size. Are there any suggestions about how I can stay within the size limitations? Or, if I split the data into two projects, is there any way to integrate the two? I know I can make some reduction by removing photos, but that also eliminates one of the most appealing aspects of this tool.

If anyone else has encountered this problem, I welcome your ideas.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3313 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

You can have 2 user id's for 2 websites of 50 mb each. The websites cannot be integrated.

You will have to experiment on how you can split your database and whether you could include pictures.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3573 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think RootsWeb could host the website if it fits within its limits. Else find another host that can. You will have to use some other tool than Publish Online to upload the site.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4055 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Like Laura said, with my.rootsmagic.com websites you are limited to two accounts, 50MB in size.

You could save the Publish Online files to your computer and then use a FTP program like FileZilla to upload to your own website. You can request a free website hosted on RootsWeb Freepages - http://freepages.roo...b.ancestry.com/ for that. There is no limit on the size of your website with them.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 dmohn

dmohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the responses. I could not find any reference to the 50mb limitation anywhere in the help files or blog. I will use the alternative Publish Online route.