• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mricha09

mricha09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

When creating a fact concerning a draft registration card, do you just use the military template or create a new one?

Just getting started with RM and getting reaquainted with my mosty uncited data afler a long absence from working on it. Lots of work to do!

Thank you for your time

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I use the Military fact.

My default sentence reads:

[person:first]<?[Desc]| [desc]| served in the military>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< [Date]>.

If there is no entry in the description field, served in the military is printed.

Some entries in the description field may be:
registered for the WWI draft
registered for the WWII draft
enlisted as a private in Co G, of the 27th Ark Inf, CSA (4th Ark Mtd Inf) CSA
deserted for the third time

I try to enter the verbs, Wars, and Military units in a standard way so I can use them as search filters.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

OTOH, I just use the Miscellaneous fact for draft registrations. My reasoning is that there are really only a few genealogically significant facts: Birth (or substitute), Marriage (or substitute) and Death (or substitute). Everything else is gravy and the fact types exist only so that the sentence sounds correct. So, if I have a sentence that reads, "Joe Dokes served in the military on January 10, 1942 in Kansas City, Kansas. Well, he really didn't serve, he just registered for the draft." that looks kind of silly.

If you use the Miscellaneous fact type it reads, "Joe Dokes <registered for the draft> on January 10, 1942 in Kansas City, Kansas." (The part between <> is what you put in the value/description field.) It's easy to find draft registrations recorded this way, you just search for "draft" in the value field of Miscellaneous fact types.

Of course, you could always create a new fact type but I avoid doing that if an event is adequately covered by an existing type, which I feel is the case here.

#4 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

I made two new ones. One WWI Draft Reg, and WWII Draft Reg, that way each has the date and place for the timeline and easy to spot.

#5 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1111 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

When creating a fact concerning a draft registration card, do you just use the military template or create a new one?

I made a new draft registration fact (just one). The sentence template is as follows: [Person] registered for the draft [PlaceDetails] [Place] [Date]. I don't think the built-in military fact works very well for draft registration.

I also transcribe the draft registration information into the fact note for the new fact. The quantity and genealogical value of the draft registration data is highly variable. The most common data that's highly valuable is the person's middle name and their birth date. The draft registration is often the only source I have for this information. But sometimes (and fairly uncommonly) you will get the person's birth place or a parent's name or a wife's name or something like that. And I find eye color and hair color to be neat information to have, even if it's not specifically very genealogical.

Jerry

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have one fact, Draft Registration Card short name Draft everything is enabled. Have Civil War, WWI, WWII draft cards
Sentence template is
[Person:casual] <[Date]> filled out a draft registration card <[Desc]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.
Sentence says: Daniel on 23 Aug 1863 filled out a draft registration card number 1830 at age 22, in Conewango Township, Warren County, Pennsylvania.

Source is [1]. "Consolidated Lists of Civil War Draft Registration Records," digitized record book, www.ancestry.com, ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com : accessed 20 June 2012), Daniel Ruhlman; citing Consolidated Lists of Civil War Draft Registration Records 1863-1865: Descriptive List of Drafted Men, NM-65, emtry 172; PA 19th, Vol 3 of 3, Class 1, A-Z by Enrolled, Drafted, and Sub. p 94 & p 188.
no 188 says, "Warren Co., Commences No. 1804 Twenty second sub district of Conewango & Glade Drafted Aug 26, 1863"Line : 1830, Daniel Ruhlman, 22, gray, brown, light, 5, 5 1/2,Penna, Warren"
no 94 says title of page crossed out and list of Men Stricken and Daniel is on that page. with the same information as page 188.
He is age 22, Eyes, gray, hair: brown, Complexion: light, Height feet: 5, Height Inches 5 1/2, Where Born: State or Kingdom : Penna, Town or County: Warren. Because of page 94, I do not think he served in the civil war... But had to register for the draft.
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..