6 replies to this topic

#1 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

In old Danish/Norwegian the act of getting a child out of wedlock. was called - Leiermål. Some years ago I created a Family fact called Leiermål. This works all right in RootsMagic, but if I export a gedcom to a friend who runs Legacy, this Family fact is imported as a Marriage fact (in a way the opposite meaning as intended).

How do I solve this problem? Do I have to change each one of them? I have many because I work with genealogy for a whole parish.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

All can be changed (or deleted) at once:

Lists->Fact Type List->HIGHLIGHT the fact to change->Edit->change Name/Abbrev/fields/where fact is included/Role/Sentence Template
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Check under Lists>Fact Type list that you don't have the Leiermål created as family fact. I believe Legacy would import family facts under the marriage section. Been a while since I've been in Legacy. Unfortunately in RootsMagic you can't make changes between Personal or Family facts. You would have to create a new Personal Fact and add that one person at a time.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Check under Lists>Fact Type list that you don't have the Leiermål created as family fact. I believe Legacy would import family facts under the marriage section. Been a while since I've been in Legacy. Unfortunately in RootsMagic you can't make changes between Personal or Family facts. You would have to create a new Personal Fact and add that one person at a time.

Thanks for answering. I feared that is the only thing to do.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3693 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

This problem is a parallel to the problem of exporting shared events to other software. I developed a SQLite script that converts shared events to individual ones, described at http://sqlitetoolsfo...d to Individual . Something along those lines could do the same for custom family events, I.e., create individual events for each half of the couple, in addition to ones for the sharers.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3693 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

How do you use this custom fact? An online dictionary defines "leiermål - sexual intercourse between people who is not married" (http://www.martinroe.com/eidhalist.htm). Do you set the date to nine months before the birth of the child? Is this fact/event even needed? That is, is it not equivalent to the child's birth parents having no Marriage fact? As they are the birth parents, we can reasonably conclude that they had sexual intercourse, even if it was indirect. Would deleting the fact or suppressing it from the GEDCOM output satisfy your friend's need?

Do you share the fact with the child? What would a parent's narrative sentence say? A child's?

Do built-in family facts (Census (family), residence (family)) also get interpreted as Marriage in Legacy?

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

How do you use this custom fact? An online dictionary defines "leiermål - sexual intercourse between people who is not married" (http://www.martinroe.com/eidhalist.htm). Do you set the date to nine months before the birth of the child? Is this fact/event even needed? That is, is it not equivalent to the child's birth parents having no Marriage fact? As they are the birth parents, we can reasonably conclude that they had sexual intercourse, even if it was indirect. Would deleting the fact or suppressing it from the GEDCOM output satisfy your friend's need?

Do you share the fact with the child? What would a parent's narrative sentence say? A child's?

Do built-in family facts (Census (family), residence (family)) also get interpreted as Marriage in Legacy?

The fact is used according to the tradition of the ministers. They set the date to the birth of the child, because the child was the proof that a Leiermål had taken place. My sentence shows as: X and Y had a child out of wedlock in 1779. The fact is not shared with the child.

You gave me an idea. The fact is not needed. I first record the parents without a Marriage fact, and afterwards with the fact Leiermål. I will see how it works when I delete the Leiermål fact.

I discovered this because I have been missing an important feature in RootsMagic, and that is an expansion of the narrative report - Ancestors with children. The report should be added an option to include all spouses and children. As mentioned, I work with genealogy for a whole parish, and that implies a lot of different trees. To get an overview I often make use of narrative reports of ancestors and is interested in a full picture like both of a man's marriages and the child his second wife got out of wedlock. The ancestor reports only give you blood lines. To solve the problem I earlier tried the program The Complete Genealogy Reporter by importing Gedcoms. I then discovered that Leiermål was turned into Marriage. Later the same happened in Legacy.

I haven't tested the other Family facts, because I don't use them. Instead I have an exstensive use of notes. For me that gives greater liberty to explain things.

The report I talk about have been on the Wish list several times. I still hope it will come because I like RM very much, because I feel it in many ways corresponds to my own way of thinking.