4 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I am still on RM3 and was wondering if I can download the ipad app to see my RM files..I also read somewhere I need "essentials"? Can someone clear up exactly what I need to see my files on the ipad when I have an older version RM3.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2598 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

http://www.rootsmagic.com/ios/
You have it right. You need to download Essentials via the link on that page(preferably you should buy the upgrade - it's only 19.95). Then you copy your RM3 databases(.RMGC) or RM3 backups (.RMGB) to a separate disk storage location for the newly-installed program (RM6 & Essentials CHANGE the database structure and you don't want that happening to master copies of your RM3 databases). THEN the APP can interact with RM6 fully (or with some restrictions in Essentials). The APP will NOT directly work with RM3 databases.

http://www.rootsmagic.com/ios/FAQ/
What version of RootsMagic files does the app support?
The app should work with files created by RootsMagic 4, 5, and 6. It will not work with files created by RootsMagic 3 or older.

--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3543 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

To be perfectly accurate, RM4 and up do absolutely nothing to the RM3 database files, creating a new type of database file (with .rmgc extension) with the content of the RM3 fileset carried over into the new type's database structure. So your RM6 database file and your RM3 set of database files (33 or thereabouts) can happily coexist in the same folder. The RM3 database files have various extensions (.rmg, .dbf, .cdx, .fpt).

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Thank you for your help. and link..I have some reading to do and maybe some webinars..I guess I should just upgrade to the newest version 6 but just hate that learning curve..I assume if I have Ver6 I do not need essentials..thanks again..

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3543 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

RM6 and RM Essentials are identical except for a restricted feature set on the latter. The features in common work exactly the same so you can start your learning curve on Essentials and carry all you learn from and do with it over to RM6 with no loss.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.