• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boehm1942

boehm1942

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

I have a Genius Family Tree database produced by Genius Family Tree Version 1.51.4 purchased from gensol.com.au which is no longer supported. I lost the actual software programs during a computer crash and have read on the internet that Family Origins 6.0 can be used to convert the MDB database to GEDCOM. Can anybody confirm this is so and where I can download Family Origins Version 6.0.

Thank you.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

I doubt very much that the database structure of GFT matches that of FO, which it would have to for the latter to be able to open a database of the former to convert it to GEDCOM. If it does, then it's possible that the free RootsMagic Essentials can, too.

FO6 is decades old and no longer available. I have FO9 still running after a fashion on Win7.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

I did some research and found this helpful discussion http://genforum.gene...sages/5251.html . Read on down but the gist of it is:
- the GFT file is .gen not .dbf
- it can be opened by a later ver of GFT which can still be downloaded as a 30 day trial from some place
- use this ver of GFT to export to GEDCOM, unfortunately version 4
- if RM cannot open a ver 4 GEDCOM, then I think PAF can and that it is still freely available
- PAF can export to GEDCOM5.5 which most current software supports or RM can import the PAF file directly

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

There are links for the program and associated downloads available from the vendor's original site at the internet archive:

http://web.archive.o...nload/index.htm

-AND-

A free product registration serial was apparently granted by whomever took over when the author passed, here:

http://web.archive.o....gensol.com.au/
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#5 boehm1942

boehm1942

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

My post should have read as follows, apologies for my error.

I have a Genius Family Tree database produced by Genius Family Tree Version 1.51.4 purchased from gensol.com.au which is no longer supported. The later version of GFT (V 2.1) will not convert it, it gives an error message "This is not a GEDCOM database". I lost the actual software programs during a computer crash and have read on the internet that Family Origins 6.0 can be used to convert the MDB database to GEDCOM. Can anybody confirm this is so and where I can download Family Origins Version 6.0, or ANY other way of converting the MDB database to GEDOM. I have thousands of records I cannot access or re-create. ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP. PLEASE HELP. I am desperate.

#6 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Genius Family Tree v. 1.62
http://archive.org/d...ee/gft162ev.exe

Genius Family Tree Viewer:
http://archive.org/d...wer/gftview.exe

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I think a file with a .mdb extension is a Microsoft Access file and not a Genius Family Tree database file and that is why it cannot be opened by the latest version of GFT which expects a .gen file. And I doubt the version you had would open it either unless there had been a radical change between the two versions. And Family Origins never supported the opening or import of .mdb databases. I suspect the file you are trying to recover is not even a GFT database but neither am I any expert on GFT.

A google search on the terms ".mdb" and "genealogical" suggests a couple of alternatives to GFT. One is GEDxlate which converts a GEDCOM file to MS Access. Is it possible that you had something in addition to GFT?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Family, Origins, 6.0, Convert, DBF, Files