• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GillyDLBD

GillyDLBD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have been monitoring this forum for some time now and am very impressed with the level of detail and insight so many of you have with regards to using the program, suggestions for workarounds as well as suggestions for enhancements.

I have a research related question that I would be interested in learning how others are handling the same issue. I struggled for some time with how to handle sources and citations (apparently I am not alone in that struggle) but I believe I am now going down the correct path. It may not be perfect but it is consistent and provides for descent documentation should anyone every need to continue my family research.

The primary goal of my research is investigating direct ancestors, however, to benefit future generations I do keep everything current for my extended family, specifically children of nieces and nephews. With the information for those lines (i.e. birth dates, places, marriages, etc.), I do not want to get bogged down in either identifying or securing documentation but I would like to input those dates/places with minimal source documentation. The question is what to enter as a 'Source'. The method that I keep coming back to is recording it as a Personal Recollection of the specific individual (niece/nephew) who relayed the info to me. How do others handle this?

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

quote "The method that I keep coming back to is recording it as a Personal Recollection of the specific individual (niece/nephew) who relayed the info to me. How do others handle this?" If given to you as you state then it is appropriate to use Personal Knowledge fact for your Source and identify who told you. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

RootsMagic would like you to create a new master source for every phone call and every scrap of paper. I don't do this. I have a source called "Personal Communication". So, when I learn that new grand-niece is born I enter the date and place and cite "Personal Communication" source with details of "Phone call from Sally Smith, 2/1/2013" and move on. If it's an e-mail I might copy and paste the information into the correspondence manager.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

RootsMagic would like you to create a new master source for every phone call and every scrap of paper. I don't do this. I have a source called "Personal Communication". So, when I learn that new grand-niece is born I enter the date and place and cite "Personal Communication" source with details of "Phone call from Sally Smith, 2/1/2013" and move on. If it's an e-mail I might copy and paste the information into the correspondence manager.

I think what you are doing is fine. All it means is that you are choosing to be a source lumper, at least for this particular kind of information.

I have been a pretty extreme source lumper for many years, and in general I have been pretty happy with the results. However, in the last couple of months I have been experimenting with going the other direction and being a pretty extreme source splitter - in your terms, "creating a new master source for every phone call and every scrap of paper". I consider my experiment a success so far, but I haven't made a final decision an which way to go moving forward. The thing that made me start looking at splitting instead of lumping is that it seems to me that Master Sources are much easier to manage in RM than are citations (AKA source details). But either approach is just fine (as well as more middle of the road approaches between splitting and lumping) provided that your footnote/endnote sentences contain the appropriate information.

As far as RM "liking" you to go one way or the other, it seems to me that the built-in Source Templates for the most part reflect a middle ground between extreme splitting and extreme lumping. The degree of lumping or splitting can vary a little bit from one Source Template to another, of course, but that's the way it seems to me. Here's a caveat about my opinion in this regard. I don't actually use the Source Templates at all in my production database. So I'm not as familiar with them as are users who do use them all the time in their production database. But I have played with them a great deal in test databases, so I am pretty familiar with them.

Jerry

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

The saying "Genealogy without Documentation is just Mythology" is very true and is a model that I follow. Does anyone know where this statement originated? James Tanner and AncestryInsider in their blogs give it date of 2004 information.

Genealogy:

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

The saying "Genealogy without Documentation is just Mythology" is very true and is a model that I follow. Does anyone know where this statement originated? James Tanner and AncestryInsider in their blogs give it date of 2004 information.

I bet if you asked that question on the Transitional Genealogist Forum on Rootsweb someone would be able to come up with the source.

I could find it's been around since at least 2001 - http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PADUTCH-LIFE/2001-07/0995404657
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks Renee right now can not send messages with another service provider. So will wait until back in MN....

Genealogy:

#8 Miranda

Miranda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I have been a pretty extreme source lumper for many years, and in general I have been pretty happy with the results. However, in the last couple of months I have been experimenting with going the other direction and being a pretty extreme source splitter - in your terms, "creating a new master source for every phone call and every scrap of paper". I consider my experiment a success so far, but I haven't made a final decision an which way to go moving forward. The thing that made me start looking at splitting instead of lumping is that it seems to me that Master Sources are much easier to manage in RM than are citations (AKA source details).

I always thought I was a lumper until I ran into so many frustrations managing my sources. I would painstakingly use a citation for everyone and then find that I'd made a typo or wanted to reformat the transcription or wanted to attach an image... and then I had to recopy, find everyone who had that citation, delete it, and then paste it back in. It was a nightmare and it actually made me stop doing genealogy over this past year while I tried to figure out how I wanted to do things (and then I did a lot of "got distracted by life" while I was on my genealogy hiatus!)

I am thinking maybe if I become an extreme splitter, I won't have to worry about this so much. If everything is in the master source, then I don't need to do all that tedious finding and updating if I need to change something.