69 replies to this topic

#61 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Search and replace will not move the files.

You have to move the files, then use search and replace to change the folder from the old to the new.

I haven't used Windows 7 but I would imagine you can still sort the files by type in the Windows Explorer, or whatever they call it there, Click on the top photo file and holding down the CTRL key click on the bottom one, highlighting them all, then drag them to the new folder and drop them there.
At least I can in both Windows Vista and Windows 8.

OR, you could leave them there, since the new RootsMagic uses only one file for a database, the photo files won't be much of a problem mixed in with it.

====================
YES It should have been the shift key, If you click on the last one with the CTRL key held down then it is only added to the first and all those in between are unmarked.

As my father used to say: "Do as I mean, not as I say!" :wacko:
Alfred

#62 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Alfred, I think you meant to click on the first file, then hold down the Shift key and click on the bottom one to highlight all those consecutive files while in Windows Explorer.

You'd then use Search > Search and Replace in RM6 to tell the database where you've moved the files. In "Field to search", choose "Multimedia filenames". As to the "Search for" and "Replace with" boxes, enter the default folder locations that you specified for your data and multimedia default folder locations, respectively. I'd probably copy those two paths directly from the Folders tab under Tools > File Options to a text file so that you can copy-and-paste them from there into the appropriate Search and Replace fields so that you avoid making an error in specifying them correctly.

#63 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

The other tool you can use to have RootsMagic find the files and revise its links accordingly is "Fix broken media links", found under Lists > Media Gallery > Tools Click on it to open a dialog window of the same name and then click on the dropdown list starting <All drives>. The next item in the list is <A folder>. Click on it to open (guess what!) a Windows Explorer window labelled Select Folder. Browse through your folder structure to select the folder where you moved your media and click on the button "Select Folder". The Fix Broken Media Links window will show the selected folder path under "Search this and all sub-folders" so you then click "OK". RM will then look for files and, for each match it finds, replace the old path with the new one.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#64 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Ok, I finally called Roots Magic. She had me start from scratch and make a new file. Totally different than what I have done in the past. She said that all the photos always go to my documents. I asked about the media files etc and she said that had nothing to do with it. So, now my photos are all back in my documents, scattered to kingdom come, around 250 of them among other files. She did say I could copy them all and put into a separate folder and then use fix broken media links. I see files in my documents that may or may not be part of RM. Don't remember them but they could have been there. I would really like to have the data file in data and photos in media etc, but it seems that can't be done. I guess I could call it media and put them in there, but I have no clue now as to those 5 folders you are supposed to make. I tried to mention them a few times but she really didn't want to talk about it because it sounded like that didn't work. So, I am back to a mess. I have RM to use as I have had since I started trying this a couple weeks ago but scattered about. She said that these pictures of mine were always on my computer, but really they were not exactly, They were in FTM. She said that isn't so and that I had them on my computer, but I didn't get these pictures from people as photos per say, I got them in a gedcom which she said is impossible. Well, that is how I got them, one set from Washington state and the other from N. Dakota and maybe one more. This is how I got most of these names, pictures included. I did put in my own photos, and those are on my hard drive in several places, but they are also in my FTM file. Also, she had me open a blank RM and upload the FTM file directly to the blank RM file. It then loaded everything and put the files in my documents. It also opened. It would be nice if I could have my photos, gedcoms, saves, and the data and the other one in one folder. The last time I did it, it did put everything in like I told it to but the pictures were in the data file along with the data. I guess I was not suppose to do that but it is neater than what I have now, just would be nice if I could have gotten the pictures to the media file which I guess doesn't exist or something. I don't know how many times I am going to have to clean up my documents. I have over 1/2 gig of photos in my trash bin, which according to her, if I delete photos they are gone, but they are not gone, they are in FTM. AT A LOSS, Kurt

#65 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I see from above posts that the media and data will be in the same folder. Maybe I could then copy and paste the photos into media and do a fix broken link. Per phone call this doesn't work telling RM to put them there in the beginning, all have to go to my documents. She did not want to talk about those 5 folders and was rather short with me. Said that most of you are disgruntled Roots Magic users that don't know what you are talking about, but it appears to me you are more correct than she was. I now have a mess to clean up again with 250 plus jpgs in my documents that came from FTM even though that is impossible because they had to be on my computer all the time (NOT) Also, no one sent me these photos per say, they all came in a gedcom which she said is impossible but that is where I got them, I sure didn't drive out to Washington and North Dakota and get them from people I don't even know, they just sent me a gedcom and they were in there.
Thanks,
Kurt

#66 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Kurt, your saga is turning into a hoot! I'd like to think Support Lady said what she said with a chuckle... Otherwise, bad form. She is right about the GEDCOM. Maybe you got it and the media files delivered to you as a zip file. Older versions of FTM also stored media in the database file but not the current one.

Yes, you can create a Media folder and move all the image files from your data folder to it and then use Fix broken links.

If a mentor could remote control your computer, you would learn very quickly how to do things, second only to having them with you in person.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#67 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hello from ex hell. I did it. I deleted the one she had me make. Made one like I had been making. Cut all the photos out of data and put them in media, fixed broken links and it seems all is well. I haven't made a report yet, That didn't work in the past but at least so far the data is in the right place, the media is in the right place and the backup is in the right place. I have FTM 2005 and I guarantee you I got the pic files in a gedcom. They have never been in a file on my computer, only in the FTM file. It has been a ride. I learned a lot over 2 weeks. It looks like I can finally start over. I didn't do all that much actual work on the "tree" only on installing it over and over and over. I want to thank you all for your help. You were all in the right direction, it was just getting me there. I have never used Windows Explorer mainly because after dropping something in the wrong place, it scared me out and for years I didn't understand dragging at all. I have dragged now for years but not in explorer and in windows 7 it does not show automatically, you have to expand it which I didn't have a clue about and apparently after going to Google on it, a lot of other people saw it the same as me. This thank you is to all on the forum, you have been great putting up with me. Perhaps I shall visit again but hopefully not such a marathon. I hope management reads this and realizes that you do know what you are talking about.
Kurt

#68 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

.... for years I didn't understand dragging at all. I have dragged now for years but not in explorer ....

I'm a pretty fluent computer user and I do use Windows Explorer drag and drop occasionally. Very occasionally. But it scares me to death. The danger is not knowing when a drag and drop is a move and when is it a copy. The rules ought to be simple, but I've never really been able to formulate them in my mind in a way that seems to cover all the cases and exceptions. I have occasionally challenged big fans of drag and drop to explain all the rules and exceptions to me, and nobody has ever been able to get it right. They always leave out an important exception or two. I think it's much safer to use copy/paste and cut/paste as appropriate. That way you KNOW whether it's a copy or a move. The right mouse button is your best friend in this regard, and also the CTL-C, CTL-X, and CTL-V hot keys are extremely handy.

Jerry

#69 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Drag and drop in Explorer:
(I use left button as the main button, you may reverse them, especially handy for left handed users)
Left button drag and drop from one folder to another on the same drive is MOVE.
Left button Drag and drop from a folder on one drive to a folder on another drive is copy.
In other words, drag and drop to the same drive is move, to a different drive is copy, even if it is a virtual drive.

Using the right button to drag and drop, you have a choice: Move here, Copy here, Create shortcut here or Cancel.
So if you are unsure, use the right button.

This thread is way too long and diverse.
I agree with Renee, Freeze it from any additions - And probably delete mine <_<
Alfred

#70 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I agree with Alfred the thread is to long. The original issue appears to be resolved. I am freezing it from any further comments.
Renee
RootsMagic