69 replies to this topic

#41 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2064 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Perhaps the ideal order should be installing RM, specifying the default folders from within RM, then importing your FTM database. If the import results in your FTM media being saved in a folder other than the one you specified in RM as your media default folder, cut-and-paste those files to the default media folder via Windows Explorer, then update the links to the media items to reflect that folder using RM's search-and-replace. Upthread (post #10 -- http://forums.rootsm...ftm/#entry55891), I've provided instructions on how to use search-and-replace, including giving an applied example, so if you follow them carefully (substituting your folder names for the ones I used), things should hopefully work out.

I'd not use a flash drive for media if you're doing all your genealogy work on just one machine. I would keep backups of your database file and of your media files on a separate machine and/or geographical location (the cloud being a possibility), however. You could use the flash drive for storing those backups, but it's not the most reliable option. If you just want to carry the media around for non-genealogical purposes, then yes, it's alright to make a copy of them from your machine via Windows Explorer, but I'd not link from RM to media on the flash drive, but instead to media on your machine.

#42 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Thanks, I will try this again in the order specified. Note though that Windows explorer does not exist anymore. I did not know how to use it anyway, but it was scrapped apparently on Windows 7. There are a lot of complaints about it if you Google it which I did. I thought you could use RootsMagic to go to make copies to your flash drive. I saw nothing about using explorer. I will use the computer for my main program. Maybe I will go buy another smaller flash drive to store and save. I didn't know that flash drives were not dependable. I have several of them in my lock box at the bank storing text and photo files. From previous comments it seems that many people use the flash drive rather than the computer as I thought I was told I should do that, but I will go with what you are saying. Most of you keep talking about explorer but I have never run across it mentioned much in all these years. Even the basic computer course I took many years ago never mentioned it. I opened it a few times in the past and saw all the files there but didn't know what to do with them. Per someone many years ago I was moving I believe my computer or something big (don't ask why because I don't know why, probably misunderstood someone) and it accidently dropped in my Works folder which blew things apart and I had to do a reformat. Maybe that is why they dropped it because the average person didn't know what it was for. I wish I knew more about computers but we lived in the country and no one else had them at first and when they did get them, they only used them for email. I took a course to build a website and that went fine, but making these strings in the right order seems to be awful difficult.

#43 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I looked up address paths. This is what I got: Does anyone know how to find the path in Windows 7? There is not explorer and in the address bar it just put say documents Roots Magic. It does not show the path anymore. Is there a way to change the address bar so it shows the path?
How to find a path to a file?

When you are viewing a folder in a Windows Explorer window it displays an address bar containing the path to the folder.
  • To get to Windows Explorer press the Windows key on your keyboard and the E key at the same time.
  • Where ever you go, the path will be listed in the address bar at the top.
  • If you double click on c: drive, then Documents and Settings, then your username, then Favorites, then music, the path in the address bar will look like thisC:Documents and SettingsMitzFavoritesMusic

#44 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Battleax45, if you cannot find a local class or coach or mentor for Windows 7, I highly recommend you read the section on File Management in http://www.csu.edu.a...7_beginners.pdf . This is a professionally written beginners guide to Windows 7. There you will see that Windows Explorer is inimic to Windows 7 although the label does not appear on its windows. I think it does a very good job of walking through its features and how to use them. Good luck!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#45 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think you need to read up on what Libraries are in Windows 7.

Inside RootsMagic's Tools>Program Options>Folders make sure you click on the (...) at the end of the field to bring up the Windows Explorer. Then you can locate the folder you wish to put your media, etc. in. Do this before any importing of your FTM GEDCOM.
Renee
RootsMagic

#46 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

In windows 7, do as the above instructions tell you. Press the Windows key at the same time as the E key and Windows Explorer opens.

Navigate to the folder the file is saved in and the path to the file is shown. The file name is not shown in the path in the Address bar.

You can highlight the path. Right click and select Copy address as text from the menu that opens and paste the text where you want it.

#47 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Laura, no, that will not work. Windows 7 as I said does not have explorer. The windows key does not work. I will check this File Management site. My wife works with Windows 7 everyday and has for about a year and says she can't find a lot of stuff that she needs. It just doesn't work. She used to be able to track files etc and can't figure out how to do it with 7.

#48 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

You must have a different Windows 7 than I have. If you click on the Windows Icon (used to be Start) button on the lower left corner of screen in the box with "Search programs and files" type in Windows Explorer and it will come up.

After this help I think we are going to stop the instructions any further on Windows, etc. You simply need to do some homework on this out side of the forums.
Renee
RootsMagic

#49 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Yes, I started reading the link. I am going to print it off. Sure doesn't look like the old explorer but maybe it is in there somewhere. So far it is all Greek to me but I need to print it so I can see it while I look at my computer. Can't believe after using a computer for all these years this RM program is so complicated.Thanks.
Kurt

#50 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Renee (or anyone), if you do a direct import of a FTM database, to where do the embedded media get extracted if you haven't yet specified your default media folder in RM? How about if you had specified it? Any difference? I've never used FTM, but would like to know the answer for future reference.

#51 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well after reading and being frustrated for a good hour because nothing looked the same, I was just about to give up and right clicked on documents and told it to expand and viola, there they were. It never said anything about expanding, just collapsing. Wow, all these years I have never seen that where the same files and folders are in different places but you can access both at the same time. I think of all the cutting and then moving and opening a different folder and pasting and back and forth like that which was a real pain and now this is here. Thank you. Apparently the computer comes collapsed. Must be what others are experiencing also.. Now I am exhaused and need a nap but I found it. Thanks again.
Kurt

#52 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

I had to talk to development on that since I don't have FTM or a GEDCOM made from it to test.

In RM3 it would prompt for the folder where you wanted to put the extracted images. It appears we forgot to add that back in RM4-6. ( I have added that to the tracking system.) So now when you import the FTM GEDCOM it will put the media in the same folder as the database.

Update: Import should be the FTM file only.
Renee
RootsMagic

#53 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

After one navigates anywhere deep in the folder structure using Windows 7 Explorer (or the Computer link in the menu that opens after clicking the Start button), the address bar at the top will show the full folder paths like a breadcrumb menu (with right-pointing arrows between folder names as one goes deeper). When you get to the desired destination folder, you can simply left-click your mouse on any blank area TO THE RIGHT of those folder names IN THE ADDRESS BAR area and Windows 7 will change to show the full path ALREADY HIGHLITED (SELECTED) for copying (Ctrl-C or right-click & Copy).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#54 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2064 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Renee, do you mean direct import of a FTM database (vs. GEDCOM import)?

#55 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Renee, do you mean direct import of a FTM database (vs. GEDCOM import)?

Romer, she MUST mean direct import (that is how it works in RM6) because a GEDCOM import DOES NOT move any media (only storing the paths that were enumerated in the GEDCOM tags).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#56 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I suppose you are right. I didn't think GEDCOMs could contain the media, but FTM does some weird things in my opinion. Like I said I have neither a database or a GEDCOM from FTM to test. Development just told me when you import right now it doesn't ask which folder you want to put the media in which it used to do in RM3. It will just put the media in the same folder as the database. I didn't get clarification on what type of file they are importing.
Renee
RootsMagic

#57 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thank you all, this has been a learning experience. I guess for all of us in the end lol. Does anyone want a gedcom from FTM? I could probably send one I have made in the past. I have always been using the FTM option though as my gedcoms are old. I do have some FTM files also that are probably smaller than the one I am using. This one has close to 50,000 names I believe although GM did find a lot of duplicates.
Kurt

#58 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Well we are getting closer. It put the data file and all the media (photos) in the data file. Something like 250 jpgs plus the RMdata file. It put the backup file in backup. I didn't make a gedcom or report.
Kurt

#59 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Remember that links to your picture and other media files are stored in your RM database file. If the pictures have moved from where they were when initially specified, or their names were changed, RM will be confused. You can use Search > Search and Replace to fix the situation. For "Field to search", chose "Multimedia filenames". For "Search for" and "Replace with", enter the appropriate strings. For example, if your pictures had been in the C:\Users\John\Pictures\Genealogy\ folder, but are now in C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Multimedia\, you'd enter those two strings, respectively. This method really only works well if you had all your pictures in the same folder and have moved them to another folder. You'd otherwise want to use "Fix broken media links" if you've moved them from one folder to multiple folders. I mentioned earlier that I can't recall what happens when you have the same pictures in two separate locations when using Fbml, so don't want to give you the details on where to find it within the program without someone who's more recently used it weighing in.

As always, back up before attempting major operations.

Ok, I have my data file in my data folder along with all the 250 or so jpgs. I have not moved anything. Can if search and replace? Would I use in Search, the data folder string and for the replace, the media string? Will it then pull in all 250 photos into the media folder?
Kurt

#60 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I tried search and replace twice but it did not work.
Kurt