69 replies to this topic

#21 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I checked, I can make a gedcom but not without the photos. That is ok though, as long as they import right. Will look a bit at the web help and see if it has anything on importing. I think it did. Won't do anything yet though.

#22 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi,
I deleted everything and reinstalled.
My backup file has backup in it, my data files has photos in it, my gedcom is empty (none made), my media is empty and reports is empty (did not make any), I don't have the actual program in there, it put it in programs I believe. I thought the photos were supposed to be in media. Is this correct or not.
Kurt

#23 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Not sure in which folder RM puts the media from the FTM direct import, but it sounds as though it must just put those items in the data folder (the same one in which your RM database is located). I'd probably cut and paste in order to move them to whichever folder you specified for media, then use the Search > Search and Replace command to change the folder path to that new location. See my earlier post in this thread (post #10) on that process:

http://forums.rootsm...ftm/#entry55891

#24 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Ok, will try to use the search and replace. Isn't the actual program supposed to be in one of those folders? It was in the last one I did. Boy this is by far the hardest most complicated thing I have ever done in the 20 some years of being on a computer. Just like I was told to hit the Windows key and E and it would bring me to Windows explorer. Well, not on my computer. Plus, I don't have a clue on how to use explorer. I took a class when we first got a computer and explorer was never mentioned. On my computer it brings up hard disk drives and removable storage when I hit the Windows/E key.

#25 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh, and this is what you wrote in the link above "Remember that links to your picture and other media files are stored in your RM database file." I believe that is where they are. And, I don't have a RM database in any folder I specified, it auto put it into programs. How could I tell it where to go without installing it, and that is where it went. I couldn't get to the folder options until I installed it from the disk.

#26 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Ok, will try to use the search and replace. Isn't the actual program supposed to be in one of those folders? It was in the last one I did. Boy this is by far the hardest most complicated thing I have ever done in the 20 some years of being on a computer. Just like I was told to hit the Windows key and E and it would bring me to Windows explorer. Well, not on my computer. Plus, I don't have a clue on how to use explorer. I took a class when we first got a computer and explorer was never mentioned. On my computer it brings up hard disk drives and removable storage when I hit the Windows/E key.

From the RootsMagic help file,
"Folders – allows you to enter default folders (directories) for the various types of files used by RootsMagic. Whenever you select a feature that accesses one of these file types, RootsMagic will first look in that folder. You can enter default folders for databases (data files), backups, Multimedia (digital images of people, places or documents, electronic files, or audio or video files), GEDCOM files, custom reports, and printouts. There is a button to the right of each field that you can click to bring up a folder list to browse and select the desired folder from. You must create the folders before you go to select the folder."

From your note, "Just like I was told to hit the Windows key and E and it would bring me to Windows explorer. Well, not on my computer. Plus, I don't have a clue on how to use explorer.
On my computer it brings up hard disk drives and removable storage when I hit the Windows/E key."

That is the way it should work. Could I suggest using the Windows help files or maybe using Google or Bing to search for help.

#27 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ok, then they went to the wrong folder. I made them up first before I uploaded the old file. Made them both in RM (actually they were already there it seemed) then I copy and pasted them into a folder I made for the roots magic file. Didn't work.

#28 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Windows explorer does not exist anymore. When you Google it there are a lot of people looking for it. Here is one reply: And therein lies the problem. We can't get the old Explorer back. How many people want the old Explorer back? The new version is horrible.
"You can't traverse the tree folder hierarchy easily. If you try to traverse the tree folder, and hit the back button, it doesn't go to the previous level in the tree, it goes to the last folder that you were in.

It behaves like a browser now!!!! I can't believe that Microsoft would take a perfectly good product and "webify" it. Webifying every piece of software is not the answer. They should have left Explorer alone along with Office 2007."

It just shows your picture folder, documents, music, and other folders just as if you clicked on them from the start key. No wonder I could't find it.

#29 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

If you are using Windows 8, Windows Explorer was transformed and renamed File Explorer. See http://windows.micro...indows-explorer for instructions on how to use it.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#30 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

If you are using Windows 8, Windows Explorer was transformed and renamed File Explorer. See http://windows.micro...indows-explorer for instructions on how to use it.

I fully expect not to like File Explorer in WIndows 8, and it is therefore my intention to stay on Windows 7 for as many years as possible. I similarly refused ever to run a machine with Windows Vista. So I ran Windows/XP for as long as I could until finally I had to go to a new machine running Windows 7. I find Windows 7 to be fairly good for the most part. The part of Windows 7 I don't like is Windows Explorer. I think the Windows/XP version of Windows Explorer was much better, but I've gotten used to all aspects of Windows Explorer on Windows 7 except for the searching feature.

In my opinion, the searching feature of Windows Explorer on Windows 7 is completely brain dead, and Microsoft should be deeply ashamed of foisting such a piece of junk on their users. The fundamental problem is that it is no longer possible to specify a string to search for in the file name and to specify a second string to search for in the file contents. So I was miserable with Windows 7 until I discovered a free program called Agent Ransack which can be used to search the Windows file system, much better even than the way Windows/XP did it. So I'm a happy camper now with Windows 7. (Actually, I don't know if this braindeadness of Windows Explorer was first introduced in Windows 7, or if it was first introduced in Windows/Vista and then carried forward into Windows 7. Whichever way it happened, it's pretty awful.)

I suppose it's arguable that these kinds of issues are not RM issues, but in a sense they are. A big part of what we do in using RM is to manage files. And therefore things in Windows that make file management either harder or easier are very important to our experience in using RM.

Jerry

#31 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Windows 7 can be set up to search file content in the advanced indexing options.

Whether Windows 7 file content search is better or worse than XP, I can't say as I never set it up for XP or 7.

Check out Windows 7 - Windows Search - Configure and Use on how to configure indexing.

http://www.sevenforu...figure-use.html

RootsMagic is not to blame for whatever deficiencies we perceive in any particular version of Windows.

#32 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

The fundamental problem is that it is no longer possible to specify a string to search for in the file name and to specify a second string to search for in the file contents.

Jerry, I think you are "fundamentally" wrong. I think Search got enhanced so much that MS chose to change the search definition from a form to a coded string, much the same as Google. If you want to search for a string in the file name and another string in the file you enter name:searchstring AND "string I am looking for".

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#33 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

@Battleax45: I searched on the quote in your last message and see it was from a Windows 7 discussion, not Windows 8 so I assume you are using 7 or earlier in which Windows Explorer still existed under that name although it migrated in style and user interface over different versions of Windows. I also observe that your understanding of computer and Windows terminology and use is confused or confusing to everyone else and that is your fundamental problem, not that RootsMagic is not working the way it should or the way you expect. If you get the fundamentals right, I think your issues with where files are and how to deal with getting them where they should be and linked to your database will be miraculously resolved.

So, deep breath, I urge you to look for a training course on computer and Windows basics, preferably hands-on with a coach/mentor to make sure you eradicate misconceptions and really get the hang of them. You cannot realistically expect that to happen in this forum, whose focus is on using and improving the RootsMagic application - a prerequisite is a basic skill in using the version of Windows you have.

#34 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Jerry, I think you are "fundamentally" wrong. I think Search got enhanced so much that MS chose to change the search definition from a form to a coded string, much the same as Google. If you want to search for a string in the file name and another string in the file you enter name:searchstring AND "string I am looking for".

I may need to stand corrected (in which case I would have to eat a lot of crow becaue I've been complaining about this for years). And I would absolutely LOVE to stand corrected and eat that crow. But I don't think your technique quite works the way things worked in Windows/XP. For example, I just tried the following search on my Dropbox folder (and I make note of the fact that my Dropbox folder contains about 20GB of data, including all my genealogy data which in turn includes all my RM data).

name: smith AND peters

It found three jpg files. It shouldn't be looking at the file contents of a jpg file in any case, but I confirmed that none of the three jpg files contains the strings "smith" or "peters" in their contents.
  • One of the files contained both the string "smith" and the string "peters" in the file name. I'm sure that the "name:" tag properly constrained the search for "smith" to the file name, but there was no tag associated with the string "peters" so it searched for the string "peters" essentially everywhere (well, it didn't look in the contents of the jpg file) including the file name. I need something like "contents: peters", but there doesn't seem to be a "contents:" tag.
  • The other two files contained the string "smith" in the file name, and contained the string "peters" in the file path - which is to say in a folder which contained the jpg files. The actual folder name is "petersfamily". Curiously, a search for -- name: smith AND "peters" -- (without the --) does not find the two jpg files with the string "smith" in the file name which are in the petersfamily folder. I guess the quotes around "peters" means it won't match with "petersfamily".
The need that Windows 7 does not fulfill is to be able to specify the string "xyz" for the file name and the string "abc" for the file contents. Windows 7 will search for file contents, but there doesn't seem to be a tag to direct it to search for a specific string only in the file contents. The ability to search for a specific string only in the file name and a different string only in the file contents is very powerful and useful, and it's what seems to be missing in Windows 7. And it's the ability that Agent Ransack gives me.

Jerry

#35 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Maybe we can share a dinner of crow. I think for jpg, Windows indexes some of the metadata. For your restricted search, how about name:abc AND NOT name:xyz AND xyz?

#36 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Maybe we can share a dinner of crow. I think for jpg, Windows indexes some of the metadata. For your restricted search, how about name:abc AND NOT name:xyz AND xyz?

Yes, something like that would work in this restricted case. I probably chose a bad example by accident in that I didn't realize I was only going to get jpg files as search results. I really needed an example where the matches would be found in an html file, and html file contents indeed are indexed by default by Windows 7. The problem would remain that I couldn't search for xyz in the file name and abc in the file contents.

I've read lots of forum messages about this issue through the years, and I've watched a lot of tutorial videos about how to use search in Windows 7 and how wonderful it is. But the Microsoft employees who post and others who post in favor of Windows 7 search seem to miss the point entirely and never even address it. For example, they will answer queries by giving directions on how to add your file type to the list of file types whose contents are indexed. It doesn't matter if the contents are indexed or not unless the search can be directed specifically to the file contents instead of to the the file name or to the file metadata.

Jerry

#37 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

I made quite a few short test rootsmagic files but none of them would put the information where it was supposed to be. I am beginning to think you have to be a computer genius to use this, it has been about 2 weeks now and I can't get anywhere.

#38 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Where is RM putting the files, and where do you think they're supposed to be? What did you specify as your default folder for data before creating those files?

Ignore the technical discussion regarding Windows Explorer. It's lateral to your issues.

#39 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Actually, I'm again going to recommend that you call Support so that you can interact in real time and get up-and-running. Hopefully, you'll be fine after getting to that point so that you can actually move ahead in using the product.

I think you'll find that the solution doesn't require computer genius ability once you're walked through it. Most people have no issues, but your situation may be a little more sophisticated due to FTM and media. I think it's just a matter of moving the media to the appropriate default folder location and doing a search-and-replace to point the RM media links to that new location.

#40 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Right, I would suppose tomorrow as today is Sunday. Maybe I am not doing it in the right order. Very complicated. If I tell it to put something in the file it will do it (click on file and open it), but with photos you can't tell it, you have to let it put it in where you designated it to go and they are not there. I don't know where they are. It does usually put the back up in the correct folder but that is the only one. As for search and replace, I really can't make much out of it online here. seems very complicated. I tried making another library, think I put in the correct path. Again it put in the backup but that is all. Tried several more since my last but no luck. I am not trying to even use FTM on these tests, just my name and one photo and one report and one backup. No luck. The last 2 tests were back into my documents, not the new library. Perhaps I am making the string or whatever wrong or in the wrong order. Actually I don't think in 20 years I have ever made a complicated string or any string for that matter. This whole thing is bewildering. Plus from my first posts it seems like I should be making this into the flash drive I bought per suggestions. Also, my question if the photos were able to be kept on the flash drive, not just the little ones, was never answered. The webinar said they were working on it, but that info is RootM 4. something. I bought a 16 gig so that I could carry all my originals with me per what I thought was being said. Some said I should not use my C drive for this. I assumed they used the C drive for backup.
Kurt