#1 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hi,
I made a new file and then uploaded my old file from Family Tree Maker into this file. I noted that all the picture files got dumped into it. I then decided to try to put a photo in although they all seem to be there so before adding new photos I watched the webinar and it said to make files for photos, gedcoms media etc so I did that. Now, all my files are still in the original file and I suppose if I put a new photo in it will go to the new file and I will have two files with photos in or just a mess. I am wondering what to do. Also, even though I have a different route for picture files (the new one), it still finds them in the old file.
Kurt

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Pictures aren't truly stored in the database file -- just the path to the file (such as "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Pictures\Genealogy" or whatever was specified when selecting a particular picture). Actually, thumbnails are also embedded, but they're of very low resolution, so small size, and should probably be considered more temporary in nature.

As to the default folders, which it sounds as though you set up after watching the seminar, even if you change the one specified for your pictures, the path that you originally specified for a given picture remains, so will still be found by the program.

#3 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Well, my folder is a mess because all the pic files are in the same folder as everything else. They must have been embedded in FTM because they are full sized. There are a lot of them, most of which I don't know who they are, so I need to keep the info. Can I put all the picture files in a folder (will take a while dragging them there) ? I suppose I will need to tell it where they are then??? When I uploaded it just asked me where from, Like FTM. I didn't even know there were these web instructions. So far in a week I have figured out how to put a name in. It seems like a great program but sure has a high learning curve. The old FTM was pretty straight forward. You could also copy and paste from one tree to another but it doesn't appear you can copy anything here. Anyway, I never specified a file in the beginning. I just put Roots Magic in a file and then uploaded the old file. Now that file is a mess like I said, Everything just gets dumped into the one file and they all show, so its miles long with files and no folders.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

What other files were put in the same folder as the pictures?

I'm assuming that you did a direct file transfer from FTM vs. GEDCOM transfer. I don't use FTM, but would think that the picture files were embedded in the FTM version you used. The problem with that treatment is that the file gets bloated and increasingly slower and more inefficient. The RM software probably doesn't get passed any information from the FTM file to know where to store these picture files, so ends up having to dump them all in a single folder, populating the internal database links to those pictures.

Prior to the FTM file import into RM, did you actually have all the picture files in other folders on the same machine as your FTM database (and now on the same on as your RM database file)? If so, you may be able to use Tools > Fix broken media links in RM for the program to locate and automatically link them up. They'd need to have the same filenames. Someone more familiar with that functionality may be able to give more guidance if you wish to try to pursue that approach. I can't recall what happens if a particular picture is found in multiple folders on your machine. Regardless, I'd not delete the picture files that were extracted from FTM until after you're sure everything is good.

By the way, Reports > Lists > Multimedia Lists produces a report of all your picture files (and other media items) and relevant information about them. You can import the results into a spreadsheet program and sort by column, including path/filename.

Most people find RM fairly intuitive, but if you feel a little technologically challenged, I'd highly recommend purchasing "Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 6". It can be found at http://www.rootsmagi...RootsMagic-Book and should serve as a real aid to your understanding. Many online webinars regarding various RM topics and to which you can avail yourself also exist -- http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars. It's not always easy when you're accustomed to doing work a particular way in a piece of software and migrate to another.

You can integrate data from another RM file into your own via drag-and-drop. Is that what you were meaning by from another tree? Under Help > Contents, type in "dragging and dropping" in the Search tab, then double-click on the appropriate topic, for more information. Always regularly back up your database file and force manual ones before undertaking any actions of which you're unsure so that you can restore to the point before any changes.

#5 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I really don't know anything. I did copy and paste all of them into a file now that is supposed to be linked to RM but they are still in the other one also. I could change the other file name but the Roots Magic program is in there. What file does that use in the 5 files you set up? I could also copy that if I knew what it was called. There is data, media gedcom etc. Does it go into one of those files.? Wow, FTM was so easy. I don't think most of the picture files were anywhere before, they were just in the FTM.

#6 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Well, I put it (the rootsmagic program) in that first file, the top one or maybe 2nd, not the backup one, and then changed the name of the original file and it still works, so maybe I am on to something.

#7 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Well, for some reason it is not pulling in the files where I put them, but it does go there when you ask it to go to the hard drive. It still pulls from the other file and they are now no good in RM, have a red X but I can pull them in new. At least it is more orderly. Can't figure out why it doesn't work where I put them, it works for the program and backups. I think I will have to buy the book. The webinars are great, but I can't remember from hearing it to getting to the program. Never could and now at my age it is worse yet. Also they are so long but still they are really great to see what is going on. Of course I found that the media is not the same on mine as the webinar. I kept looking for what they had and it wasn't there. Finally I clicked on tag and it worked. Must be new. If there was a way to have both open at once it would be nice, the webinar and the tree. Maybe there is, I have used a computer for a long time but everything I do in any Widows office I basically do with a right click. If I have to use the task bar I am in deep du du. Will have to learn to do it with this though. I like it so far when it works lol (for me that is) but it is really complex compared to FTM, at least the old one I had. I am almost positive the photo files were embedded in the program itself. I will watch that on dragging. In FTM I would go to a family and highlight it and copy and paste. I have never really dragged anything since the first day I got a computer and dragged my computer in Works. It didn't like it.
Thanks,
Kurt

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Have you set the default folder structure for all of your files? I am not able to determine your actions from what you have writen.

Go to Tools>Program Options>Folders with the RootsMagic toolbar. Each of the entries should point to a folder you have created for data, Gedcom files, backups, etc. These folders should be created and mapped to RootsMagic before ever creating any genealogy work with RM. These RM files should not be in the Windows system files area. Mine are on a second disk drive as opposed to the C: drive in My Documents.

#9 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yes, I'm afraid that we're using different terminologies, which is making communication difficult. Try to be as precise as possible, including in using terms like files vs. folders, program vs. database file, etc, and give as many details as possible vs. being more vague.

From Help for the "Program Options" topic:

Folders – allows you to enter default folders (directories) for the various types of files used by RootsMagic. Whenever you select a feature that accesses one of these file types, RootsMagic will first look in that folder. You can enter default folders for databases (data files), backups, Multimedia (digital images of people, places or documents, electronic files, or audio or video files), GEDCOM files, custom reports, and printouts. There is a button to the right of each field that you can click to bring up a folder list to browse and select the desired folder from. You must create the folders before you go to select the folder.

Note that these are default folders, but that you may've saved some files elsewhere, overriding these defaults. From your earlier post, I believe that you set these up. If so . . .

* What have you entered for the following items under Tools > Program Options in the Folders tab [examples shown in brackets, but yours can and should differ, as there's not necessarily a right answer]:

RootsMagic data files [C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Data]
Backup files [C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Backup]
Multimedia files [C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Multimedia]
GEDCOM files [C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\GEDCOM]
Report files [C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Report]

(John would be a Windows account username.)

* Now, in which folder on your computer is your data file(s) actually located? This would be your RM database file(s) and should have an rmgc extension.
* In which folder on your computer are those multimedia files (pictures) you were mentioning actually located? Actually, you'd mentioned two places, so knowing both might be insightful.
* Are your RM backups of your data file(s) actually being stored where you've indicated in the folder defaults? They'd have an rmgb extension.
* GEDCOM or report files may not yet be relevant for you, but if so, are they located in the default location you've specified?

You might decide that you'd feel more comfortable calling RM Support at (801) 489-3102 (Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm (MST)). Someone there would be able to spend some time talking with you and asking a series of questions to pinpoint exactly what you've done and guide you through any recommendations. It might be less confounding for you than additional back-and-forth that may be needed here on the boards.

#10 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Well, for some reason it is not pulling in the files where I put them, but it does go there when you ask it to go to the hard drive. It still pulls from the other file and they are now no good in RM, have a red X but I can pull them in new. At least it is more orderly. Can't figure out why it doesn't work where I put them, it works for the program and backups.

Remember that links to your picture and other media files are stored in your RM database file. If the pictures have moved from where they were when initially specified, or their names were changed, RM will be confused. You can use Search > Search and Replace to fix the situation. For "Field to search", chose "Multimedia filenames". For "Search for" and "Replace with", enter the appropriate strings. For example, if your pictures had been in the C:\Users\John\Pictures\Genealogy\ folder, but are now in C:\Users\John\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Multimedia\, you'd enter those two strings, respectively. This method really only works well if you had all your pictures in the same folder and have moved them to another folder. You'd otherwise want to use "Fix broken media links" if you've moved them from one folder to multiple folders. I mentioned earlier that I can't recall what happens when you have the same pictures in two separate locations when using Fbml, so don't want to give you the details on where to find it within the program without someone who's more recently used it weighing in.

As always, back up before attempting major operations.

#11 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Ok, I do have the files listed as above. They are in a folder called Roots Magic. In the data file is the roots magic program. In the backup file is the rmgb file. In the gedcom is nothing but I have not make one. In the media are all the photos but they don't seem to be linked. In the reports are 3 reports but I don't know if they are linked, I put them there. In my folder that I originally made and opened RM are all my photos and in my documents are all my photos, just loose as files, not in a folder. I did copy and paste all the picture files from a folder into the media file, but they were never in a separate folder to start with, just in with everything else from RM. Perhaps there should be some way of notifying people when the download opens to make these folders first. So this sort of answers the posts to me. I am thinking of two options. One is to delete the folder I made for media. Then, make a new one and do as above and then select the file that they are in. (one of them, there are now 3), But then that folder will still be outside of the folder Roots Magic I would think, maybe not. If they do go into it, can I then delete the old folder and all the other pictures in my documents which is now a mess?
Kurt

#12 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Oh, the other option I was thinking was to make a gedcom. Then open a new RM and start from scratch with the folders and then import that gedcom.
Kurt

#13 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

One more thing. It appears I should buy a new flash drive and work off of that?
Thanks,
Kurt

#14 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think that I'd call Support for more personalized, attentive, and immediate assistance.

#15 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yes, I should probably do that. I went over that first webinar, Getting Started with RootsMagic, and it says nothing about setting up files that I could see. That is the only one I watched right after uploading the FTM file which seemed quite simple at the time. It appears that I would probably be better off setting up a new one and uploading again. I haven't added that much since the upload. I really have a mess with all these photo files all over the place.
Thanks to all,
Kurt

#16 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

You are going to have to start separating files and folders and calling them correctly so that people will be able to figure out what you are writing about.

We used to call folders directories, we can put files and folders within folders.
A file is a single document, picture or even a program or part thereof.

When you installed RootsMagic, you installed the program, RootsMagic.exe along with quite a few supporting files, I doubt that you moved it and put it in a different folder. If you did, you really will have things messed up.

When you create the folders and direct RootsMagic to use them, it will not move any already created files into them. you will have to move them to where you want them using Windows Explorer. From then on, those will be the default locations.

You may have put the database file, the one with the rmgc extension, in a folder.

A backup would be a good idea about now.

IF you move the picture files to the folder you designated, open your database file and go to the SEARCH menu and choose SEARCH AND REPLACE then MULTIMEDIA FILE NAMES and enter the old path (just the first part, not the final individual filename) in the search for field and the new path in the replace with field.

If it didn't work as it should have you could restore that backup you made and try again.
Alfred

#17 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Here is the real test for your folders.

1] Create a new RootsMagic data file and name it "Test". Add yourself. Your name is enough. Exit RM without a backup. Now use Windows Explorer [Windows key & E] to look at your RM data folder. Does it show "Test.rmgc" with a creation date and time when you created it?
2] Go back to RM, exit again with a backup this time. Again using Windows Explorer check your RM backup folder for the "Test.rmgb" file.
3] Go back to RM, create a Gedcom file this time. Again using Windows Explorer check your RM Gedcom folder for the "Test.ged" file.
4] Go back to RM, Make a report and save it as type "PDF" with a file name of your choice. Again using Windows Explorer check your RM report folder for the "File name of your choice.pdf" file. Now double click on this file. Does it open and display the contents you just created?

It has taken longer to describe this than it does to do the verification. If the files do not get created in the proper folders, fix the settings with Tools>Program Options>Folders with the RootsMagic toolbar and repeat the tests above till everything works correctly. For what it is worth, I do this with each new release of RM. I have independent folder structures for RM versions 3, 4, 5, and 6.

#18 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I think the issue now is to move any files created before the default folders were specified to those folders. Everything should then be fine going forward provided the pictures are pointing to the appropriate location(s).

#19 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Ok, I am going to try this. Thanks. I have never heard of a windows key but assume it might be the one with the flag on it, so that is what I will use. I already moved all the picture files into the media file but I also have them repeated at least twice in my picture folder and again in my Miy documents folder. I assume if I get everything straight and all the files working in the RootsMagicmedia file I can delete those.
Kurt

#20 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well the report didn't go in the folder. Also the search and replace did not work. How about if I start from scratch. I have not done much in this new program, so I won't be out much. In the long run it will probably be faster. I went and bought a flash drive today and my CD arrived. I could put that on there and then somehow make the folders suggested before I upload the FTM file. Then if all works well it will put them in the right place and I can delete all the other picture files. What I might really like to do is upload the old FTM file without pictures in it. They are such poor quality photos. My own, I can replace. Most of the others I don't care about so much but can use some of them. I think FTM must have shrunk the file size. The sure appear to be imbedded in the program. Actually, they have to be imbedded, these picture files were never on my computer before. If I can still get FTM to make a gedcom, I will see if there is a way to exclude pictures or maybe one of you knows. I assume I will have to delete the old folders I made for RM as there is stuff in them, or at least change the name so it doesn't recognize them. Wow.
Kurt