• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eccentric

Eccentric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

How do I get started with color coding the generations? The help file isn't real helpful on this subject.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Try Tools > Color Code People. The screen should be fairly straightforward. However, if none of the options looks exactly like what you're wanting to do, "People selected from a list" will bring up a list of the people in your database from which you can either check them off one-by-one or choose a set of selection criteria of your choice.

Note, too, that there are clear options in case you make a mistake.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Did you navigate through Help > Contents > Tools > Color Coding People? Was that not clear and helpful?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

The question was about color coding generations, so I assume that you want your parents one color, your grandparents another, great grandparents another and so on.

Color code your ancestors one color, selecting the maximum number of generations, then color code your ancestors again using a different color and selecting one less number of generations.

Do this through the generations one less generation each time until you get back to yourself.
Alfred

#5 Eccentric

Eccentric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I missed the color coding on the Tools menu which was wby help wasn't helpful. I also misspoke about what I wanted color coded. What I wanted it to look like was as shown in the online tutorials where each lineage (descendents/ancestors)was coded a different color. I'm new to this so have mercy!

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

OK, color code each grandparent and their ancestors a different color.

Or, you can start with yourself and your ancestors.
Then colorcode your mother and her ancestors another color,
Then each grandmother and their ancestors a new color.
You could go back another generation and color each great grandmother and their ancestors a new color.
Alfred