6 replies to this topic

#1 IWalkerVancouver

IWalkerVancouver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hi,

I just started using RootsMagic a few days ago. I can't seem to connect to the FamilySearch website. I registered at the new site, but when I try to connect from RootsMagic, it tells me that I have an "invalid login".

When I go directly to the site, not through RootsMagic, I get a message that "
Your account is not ready for new.familysearch.org.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Please contact your ward clerk to ensure your Church membership record is correct and in your local unit. If your record is in order, the new FamilySearch website may not be available in your area.
Volunteers who previously used new.familysearch.org.
Click here to combine your previous and new accounts.
General public. Look for a future announcement when you will have access to new.familysearch.org.
"

Does anyone know how I can remedy this so that I can access the information at FamilySearch?

Thanks.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3903 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

On http://new.familysearch.org click on "Register for the New FamilySearch". Then click on the option for a "FamilySearch Account". You want to make sure you are not creating a LDS Account. It's up to FamilySearch on when they allow new users access.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 IWalkerVancouver

IWalkerVancouver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

OK. Thanks.

Is there anyway of knowing when I may or may not be granted access? What sort of criteria is used to allow some people to use the information and some not?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3903 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

No idea about access, since it's FamilySearch's website. They are moving to a new website so they may have even stopped opening access to NFS.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 IWalkerVancouver

IWalkerVancouver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

It seems like a tease that there is this icon in the software I bought linking to potentially useful data, only for that data to be unaccessible. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to know if I did something wrong or not, but apparently I haven't.

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

nFS is accessible, just only to a subset of users. Similarly, Ancestry.com is available in WebSearch view, but without a subscription, may not be very valuable.

I'm not an LDS member, but applied for nFS access quite some time ago. I never received notification that it had been granted, but one day just happened to try to log in, and it worked!

Definitely keep us in the loop in terms of how long things ultimately take. Good luck!

#7 IWalkerVancouver

IWalkerVancouver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

OK. Tried again today, and I can't log in. Maybe someday.