• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmdt

jmdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I am a new rootsmagic user who is switching over from Legacy Family Tree V7.5. After testing the RM software on some smaller databases (with everything looking good) I finally decided to import my main Legacy database of approximately 37,000 individuals. That was about a week or so ago. The import seemed to go smoothly and everything looked good in the spot checking that I did.

But now I am finding that a significant number of my citations did not transfer correctly into RM.

Here's a snippet from the 92 page Source List Report for my Ancestry PA Church and Town database:
Footnote: Ancestry.com, "Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708 -1985." Database and images.
Citations:
1. , Ann (Birth). (accessed 23 Jan 2012); Cemetery record for Ann Evans; citing burial records of St. James Union and
Reformed.
2. , Ann (Burial). (accessed 23 Jan 2012); Cemetery record for Ann Evans; citing burial records of St. James Union and
Reformed.
3. , Ann (Death). (accessed 23 Jan 2012); Cemetery record for Ann Evans; citing burial records of St. James Union and
Reformed.
4. , Cathrine (Birth). (accessed 3 Jul 2012); entry for Rev. Abraham Bechtel; citing Hereford Mennonite Cemetery reading.
5. , Cathrine (Burial). (accessed 3 Jul 2012); entry for Rev. Abraham Bechtel; citing Hereford Mennonite Cemetery reading.
6. , Cathrine (Death). (accessed 3 Jul 2012); entry for Rev. Abraham Bechtel; citing Hereford Mennonite Cemetery reading.
7. , Maria (Burial). (accessed 23 Jan 2012); Cemetery record for Mary Shaner; citing burial records of St. James Union and
Reformed.
8. , Maria (Death). (accessed 23 Jan 2012); Cemetery record for Mary Shaner; citing burial records of St. James Union and
Reformed.

The entries for Ann (1-3) and Maria (7-8) are correct, but Cathrine's (4-6) are wrong. I went back and double checked the Legacy database and source detail is correct there - i.e. "entry for Catharine Bechtel; citing Hereford Mennonite Cemetery reading"

Citations for other sources are affected too. Here's a snippet from the find-a-grave source report:
264. Bechtel, Lewis O. (Birth). accessed 4 Apr 2011<, memorial for Lewis O. Bechtel
265. Bechtel, Lewis O. (Burial). accessed 4 Apr 2011<, memorial for Lewis O. Bechtel
266. Bechtel, Lewis O. (Death). accessed 4 Apr 2011<, memorial for Lewis O. Bechtel
267. Bechtel, Lindley K. (Birth). accessed 26 Aug 2012<, memorial for Caroline J. Ruch Bechtel
268. Bechtel, Lindley K. (Burial). accessed 26 Aug 2012<, memorial for Caroline J. Ruch Bechtel
269. Bechtel, Lindley K. (Death). accessed 26 Aug 2012<, memorial for Caroline J. Ruch Bechtel
923. Hanks, Elizabeth (Birth). accessed 26 Aug 2012<, memorial for Caroline J. Ruch Bechtel
924. Hanks, Elizabeth (Burial). accessed 26 Aug 2012<, memorial for Caroline J. Ruch Bechtel
925. Hanks, Elizabeth (Death). accessed 26 Aug 2012<, memorial for Caroline J. Ruch Bechtel
926. Harley, Henry (Birth). accessed 23 Jun 2012<, memorial for Norman R. Keely
927. Harley, Henry (Burial). accessed 23 Jun 2012<, memorial for Norman R. Keely
928. Harley, Henry (Death). accessed 23 Jun 2012<, memorial for Norman R. Keely

In the RM database, Lindley K. Bechtel and Elizabeth Hanks have the source detail for Caroline J. Ruch Bechtel. and Henry Harley has the detail for Norman R. Keely. Strangely enough, the detail text/research notes (which I did not print out in the above report) transferred correctly.

So now I have a huge mess. With a database this size, there is just no way to go through each individual and verify each of their sources individually.

My questions are:
1) What is the downside of importing from gedcom vs directly from Legacy. It looks to me like my fact/event sentence definitions are not transferred. Anything else?

2) Unfortunately I made quite a few updates before I found this problem. So I really need to know if there is a way for me to print a list of all the individuals that have been updated since a certain date,

Thanks for any help with this...

Janis

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Janis, don't know if it will work, but you might try File > Database tools to see if things might be cleaned up.

Please post whether or not they helped. If they didn't, you can use "Date last edited" "is after" such-and-such a date to find who's been edited since that date.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3840 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Maybe this is best handled with the submission of a request for help ticket to RootsMagic Support and have them instruct you how to upload your large Legacy file so that they can try to replicate the problem and determine if there is a flaw in the RM Import procedure that can be fixed. To do so is rather far down the menu tree at http://www.rootsmagic.com/Help/? - down the page to Online Technical Support (do the Before Contacting Support steps first), click the Online Support button, on the Support page, click the tab Submit a Request. Your Legacy and RM files are probably both too big to attach so, while you can try, also in your message ask for upload instructions in case it fails.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 jmdt

jmdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions. I now have the individuals that I modified in RM saved off to a named group as well as a gedcom - so those changes won't be lost.

Running the database tools in RM didn't fix the problem. Also, running the equivalent LFT database tools on the original database and redoing the import didn't help either. What appears to have worked is an export of the original database to a new LFT database. From the checks I have done so far, it looks like RM was able to import that version correctly. But I'm going to run a few more source list reports just to be sure. If it turns out the problem still exists I'll definitely contact support.

Thanks again,
Janis