Jump to content


Published my family history...with a big problem!

PDF didnt pick up all photos

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 beachkay



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks to advice received on the RM4 discussion forum, I was able to use RM Publisher to complete my 199-page family history. I chose DiggyPod to publish it in paperback form, and were quite pleased with their prices, speed and customer service. All they required was that I send the book as a PDF.

When the books arrived, I was horrified to see that on every Scrapbook page, the bottom two photos were missing, even though the cutlines below the photos were there, as well as page numbers, etc. Even the outlines for the photos were there.

This is NOT the book publisher's fault. I neglected to check the PDF before I sent it because I had checked and re-checked the "published" version of my history on RM. As you know, it showed every page, every photo. I had even printed out several copies to proof-read them before I sent the final version.

WHY would the PDF version of my book be different from the version in Publisher? Why would PDF not pick up the bottom 2 photos on each Scrapbook page? Most important, if I wanted to publish a "revised" version, how could I correct this?

I'm using RM4 with Parallels on a Mac.

A sick new "author"

#2 TomH


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6429 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

You have my sympathy. I cannot explain why your Scrapbook PDF's are different from what is shown in the Report Viewer other than, possibly, they use two different image rendering codecs or processes. To fix the problem, you may have to open each of the non-printing images with something like IrfanView and re-save it to the JPEG format that seems to work for the printable ones. There are many flavours of JPEG. Another shot in the dark is that upgrading to RM6 and using it to produce the PDF's might do the trick.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 beachkay



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Oh, the problem occurred when I used 6 photos per page, 2 per line, 3 lines. When I used only 4 photos, it was OK....